An ABA Player
Years ago

Attn ABA Players - Players Association???

Dear Fellow ABA player,
There has been much debate over the running of our competition in recent times. Potential changes in the number of rounds and the introduction of a salary cap are just a couple of the issues that have been addressed by our administration.

Obviously without representation at the decision making table it is difficult to determine if the best wishes of the most important stakeholders in our competition (us) are being considered by the administration.

I propose that a players association be formed to give us the voice that we so deserve.

Membership would not be mandatory, however it would be beneficial in giving each player an oppurtunity to contribute to the direction of our competition.

This thread is a basic means of relevance test. Many players read the forum and are in a position to comment.

Should the idea be well supported i will propose a structure and further details at a later time.

Regards.

Topic #13125 | Report this topic

Quartz  
Years ago

Sorry, an ABA player,

I thought that the competition was run for the benefits of the clubs! Not the players.

Players like yourself don't understand that it is junior fee's that pay for your uniforms, your training times, your player payments and your coaches fee's. Most clubs would spend $50K on the senior program, and even at $5 per person, 500 people per game would not cover half of the cost. Plus it is juniors parent who do all the fundraising and sponsorship in clubs. Senior player do nothing but look after themselves.

There would not be an ABA team in the competition that makes a profit for their club. But a number of club have been sent into a downwards spiral becasue of the outlay to people like yourself. Be happy that anyody gets paid or that you have a half decent competition to play in.

Reply #152969 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

I sort of agree with Quartz, however just seeing a few Senior Players on a Clubs Committee might be good start.

I have been involved at Committee level (of one club) for 10 years & only on a very rare occasion has a member of our Senior teams even attended an AGM, never mind about joining the Committee!

Not too late for this year either, as the AGM hasn't taken place yet and I know there are a couple of vacancies at least! I think most of the Club concerned know who I am and so which Club I mean, but I am sure it could be directed at most if not all.

Reply #152973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

players association is a great idea especially to discuss such things as no of rounds etc, but yeh payments are sticky one

Reply #152974 | Report this post

An ABA Player  
Years ago

Quartz,
You are absolutely correct in saying the competition is run for the benefit of the clubs. I'm sure most of the players understand that.

Firstly, i adore the assumption that ABA players get paid. Yes, some do, but a vast majority do not.

Secondly, the thrust of what you are saying is that the competition in its current form is a burden on the clubs and hence we should sit back, shut up and be happy with mediocrity.

This is exactly why i feel a players association may assist in releaving that burden and ultimately improve the competition and BSA accordingly.

Then again, we could just sit back and be happy with mediocrity...

Reply #152975 | Report this post

Quartz  
Years ago

There is a salary cap. $25K. Some clubs probably spend more.

Why don't you ask your club what actually goes into running an ABA team. Maybe you can offer to help.

Reply #152977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Quartz dont you think most of these ABA players were fee paying Juniors for 10 years prior to playing Seniors - or do they magically come off a factory line at age 19???

I've been involved as a Junior, a Senior Player and a Junior Coach. This is a great idea and I ask all ABA players to comment on this and get involved.

The better this comp gets, the more juniors strive to be hoopsters so they can play ABA.

The alternative is they see a semi-relevant 18 game comp with no crowd support, which doesnt pay and they go play Aussie Rules or Soccer when the crunch decision comes around.

Get onboard everyone - great idea

Reply #152979 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

There are many issues that could be dealt with by a players assoc. What Quartz misses here is the fact that ABL (aside from a lack of funds) is the equivalent of SANFL , SACA etc , all of which have player representation. 152979 anon is correct in saying that current ABL players ( and their long suffering parents ) have made contributions over many years( in my own case nearly 14 years ).

A players assoc. could have the benefit of lobbying for the implementation of ideas to improve the sport, and to get more people involved. More people = more money and more people benefit.

As for the involvement of ABL players with club activities, Quartz should realise that a large number of ABL players are Uni. students, and by the time they have studied, trained 2 or 3 times a week , played 2 times a week, worked a part time job and coached junior team there isn't any time left for committees.

Reply #153010 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

There are many issues that could be dealt with by a players assoc. What Quartz misses here is the fact that ABL (aside from a lack of funds) is the equivalent of SANFL , SACA etc , all of which have player representation. 152979 anon is correct in saying that current ABL players ( and their long suffering parents ) have made contributions over many years( in my own case nearly 14 years ).

A players assoc. could have the benefit of lobbying for the implementation of ideas to improve the sport, and to get more people involved. More people = more money and more people benefit.

As for the involvement of ABL players with club activities, Quartz should realise that a large number of ABL players are Uni. students, and by the time they have studied, trained 2 or 3 times a week , played 2 times a week, worked a part time job and coached junior team there isn't any time left for committees.

Reply #153011 | Report this post

tangles  
Years ago

Andrew White

Reply #153015 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

i have a question-is the ABA a semi-pro league..do some guys like sebale threaatt (the guy who plays for werribee in the BIG V) get cash???

Reply #155572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754