sdf
Years ago

Wilkins Re-Instated at Lightning

Noticed in the paper that not only sacking coach and the walk out of his assistant, they have also re-instated Wilkins contract. Still cant believe that this has happened to chris. Thoughts go out to all the coaches and their supporting family and friends.

Topic #13131 | Report this topic

subliminal  
Years ago

what is going on down there! - we are a rolls royce franchise and the last day or two seems like chaos.

coach sacked.

assistants walking.

WNBA import sacked and reinstated.

we have some of the best talent around assembled at present and seem to be going backwards.

The way i read it all is everyone is far from on the same page at Link Lightning - you had better hurry up and get on teh same page for womens' basketball sake.

Reply #153067 | Report this post

14u2nv  
Years ago

I opened the champagne with my weetbix this morning when I heard the News to celebrate the first step to SA women's basketball going forward. The Boys Club that runs basketball in this State needs a big wake up call including the Valetta Road Old Boys Club run by Puff the Magic Dragon. More disappointing is that they still stick together, Chris goes - the Boys club follow like sheep. How did he end up there anyway - what actually are his credentials.

Click those glasses and celebrate to new beginnings and opportunities to those that do not wear only two shades of blue in SA

Reply #153070 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

14u2nv - you are a complete tool

Reply #153073 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How bizarre is this? Good to see a family business in action though. Feeling a bit sad for the team I think that they would need this like a hole in the head - I'm pretty sure they just want to play ball.

If I was the import I would pack my bags and run from this rubbish and pick up a contract in Europe if possible.

Is this comp a professional league? Just checking!

Reply #153074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

14u2nv - keep us up to date on your employment situation too, eh? I'll put the Veuve in the fridge now so we can all toast your demise down the track? Charming.

Reply #153075 | Report this post

14u2nv  
Years ago

Well lets use this opportunity to get non bias people like Damien Weeks into the mix

Reply #153079 | Report this post

14u2nv  
Years ago

Well fancy writing this in the paper
In his second year as owner, Marino had told Lucas in the pre-season his daughter Angela, who was with Perth Lynx in 2006-07, would be in his team this year.

"I should have seen the problems coming then," Lucas said. More recently Marino had said:

What a slur on Angela

Reply #153080 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Why is that a slur on Angela? It's a slur on the owner - Chris is obviously saying he had little/no control over the recruitment of Angela despite there being no need for another player at her position. An unbiased observer can see that, and many made that comment at the time - that there would be rotation problems.

If I were Angela I'd be feeling mighty embarressed right now. It's the professional basketball equivalent of your mum standing on the sidelines in a junior game yelling "don't hit my boy!" or your dad telling your coach that you should get more court time - oh wait, that's exactly what happended.

The coach should be completely independent in rotations and ideally, recruitment. Why bother having a coach if you don't have confidence in him/her to make decisions. Might as well have two monkeys and a midget.

14u2nv - no matter what your opinion of Lucas is, what Marino has done is beyond discraceful.

Reply #153086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14u2nv, no self respecting coach would take a position where he or she was coach in name only. Isn't Weeks very much part of that old boy network you have been crying about?
As for the sacking, what the owner has done won't go a way and has made Lightning the laughing stock of the basketball world.
They will end up appointing a stooge coach who has to ask permission to sneeze and if the buzz word is 'jell' the Lightning are liable to remain in a state of liquid while the present owner has them.
Sell the team , Mr M, you have lost the supporters.

Reply #153089 | Report this post

BottomLine  
Years ago

14u2nv, you are bit misinformed. Lucas played something like 300 ABL games, has coached ABL Men/Women, Junior U20 State teams, Assistant Coach to the Lightning with Stirling as Coach and Technical Asst to Boomers program. Reckon these might be pretty good credintials for the WNBL Eh?

Reply #153090 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just goes to show: basketball parents are a special breed at any level.

Reply #153096 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Welcome to the world of private ownership. If, as a coach, you think that somebody is going to plough heaps of money into something and then not have a say on how things are done, you are delusional. Might be a wake up call for a certain other National League coach!

Reply #153098 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

14u2nv always popping your head up when you can have a nasty bitch about someone - maybe you are a one eyed parent of a player who never quite made it - why so venomous

It is a disgrace when a player can blatantly dictate how a team is run and destroy someones coaching career. Like him or not, Mr Lucas' support staff supported him by leaving this morally bankrupt situation.

Hope the team can pull it together for the rest of the season.

Reply #153101 | Report this post

Im OUT  
Years ago

What a load of crap, the girl didnt fit now your putting her back in the team. What the? There are at least 2 others that could go too....

But then again we expect great results and yet Vince (Yes Vince, bot the coach had recruited who he wasnts not what is best for the team) has tried to buy a team of individuals and not put together a team which is cohesive. Im sorry but when a team shoots at such a poor % it isnt the coaches fault! You can put all the best systems in place but if you cant finish off and put the ball in the hole then what do you expect!!

Reply #153102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What a slur on Angela

In what way? I read it as a suggestion that family ties in sport can lead to trouble - see Wrights at the Giants and Joyces at the Hawks and now Blaze. Can take some very measured coaching and management (or exemplary people/talents) for it to work - see Gazes at Tigers, and Blacks at Perth and now Cairns.

Reply #153106 | Report this post

Has an Adelaide player ever been booed by an Adelaide crowd, Shane Heal style?

Sorry if it upsets anyone, but I will start the booing at the next game.

See how long it takes for the Pt Lincoln Goon squad to eject me, eh!

Reply #153144 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

You are a clown if its the players you are going to boo. If its Vince so be it comes with the job as owner. Yes it was done when Ken Cole was sacked I was at that game. It was a great support for Ken that day. The chairman was drowned out when he gave his speech with booing and the chant "we want ken". No never for a player from what I remember?

Reply #153159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilkins has not been reinstated AFAIK.

Reply #153173 | Report this post

Ron Burgandy  
Years ago

Happened last night according to the interview with Chris and it was written in the paper.

Reply #153176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it that Lucas was the one that rung Boti after he got sacked.

Reply #153213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754