XY
Years ago

Funny Breakers v Sixers today (spoilers likely)

Overshadowed by other news breaking overnight, the Sixers will shortly be hitting the court against NZ breakers.

NZ has had a less than impressive start to the season, but have some great names on their roster. Once they get in to the season they will be difficult to contain on their home court. This is a team that can really shoot the lights out, especially from the 3-point line. However, they have shown that they are fragile, only escaping with one win to date against the cellar-dwelling Townsville by a single point on their own court.

Adelaide will be without Davidson. He has provided a spark all season, but has not contributed to the same level in his two most recent outings due to his injury. Whether the club can cover his absence will be telling.

I think Chappell will be the difference between a win and a loss. If he produces anywhere near what everyone knows he is capable of, the Sixers should ice this one. If he produces as he has to date this season, I can't see us getting over the line without Davidson.

Optimistically, I am hoping for the Sixers in a close one.

Sixers by 1.

Topic #13138 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Totally agree with your Chappell comments XY. It'll be hard to win without Davo and a good 3 man. If Chappell fires, which I think he might against his old team, then we have a good chance. Sixers by 6.

Reply #153178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers this afternoon attempt to stop their road losing streak at six when facing the New Zealand Breakers in Auckland. Full preview at adelaide36ers.com

I'm hopping on the Chappell-will-make-or-break-it bandwagon. His opposing SF is the slower Forman so on offense he should find opportunities. Missing Davidson will be rough, but neither team has been consistently devastating this season, so Adelaide have a chance. (Worth remembering that the Breakers are missing Paul Henare who was their starting PG last year.)

The game is on Fox delayed tonight (starting 9 or 9:30) so if you don't want that spoiled, stop reading this thread - hopefully people don't add new threads with scores either!

Reply #153182 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Bit harsh on Oscar aren't we Isaac?

Reply #153183 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Does anyone know if there will be radio coverage for this game like there was for last night's Bris v Sydney game?

Can't seem to see any link on NBL.com yet?

Thanks

Reply #153185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're the faster Forman then Isaac?

Reply #153186 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

My bad, didn't look hard enough. Have found it now.

Reply #153187 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Last NZ home game there was a NZ sports radio that provided live commentaary if NBL link doesnt eventuate. Try NZ breakers site for details on radio link.

Reply #153188 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=Live-Match-Audio

Reply #153189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar is a touch slow laterally in the context of small forwards and Chappell has a quicker first step. We're here trying to guess at how the game might play out, who might match up and what their strengths and weaknesses are. That difference is one that stands out a bit to me as potentially giving Chappell opportunities to score.

A lot of people are wondering when Chappell's going to play like what they expect from an import, and I reckon this is a prime opportunity for him.

Also try to offset any bias people want to accuse me of ahead of time... ;)

Reply #153190 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Also try:

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/

They sometimes cover the game.

Reply #153191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Starting line-ups:

Sutton
Maher
Chappell
Ballinger
Mottram

Turner
Penney
Forman
Ronaldson
Rickert

Game about to get underway.

Reply #153195 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

will be interesting to see Kersten again tonight as in last NZ game he was not too bad -good as far as boards and assists but didn't finish on occasions. He looked comfortable and decisive. Not always right decisions but I see potential at NBL level. Certainly worth a punt at a development spot.
He needs to take advantage of next few games as Henare will be back for Breakers soon.

Reply #153197 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Has anyone got the Live Audio working?
Every time i click the link i get a voice telling me "this update is brought to you by New Balance shoes...blah blah blah"

but then nothing....any ideas?

Reply #153199 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Chappell with 7 points already 4 minutes into the game. That would be his best score yet for the Sixers?

Reply #153201 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

It crashed everytime I tried to open it in Mozilla, but I got it to work using Safari and am enjoying some wonderful NZ commentary now ;p

Reply #153204 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

BTW - great to see Chappell with 7 points in the first 5 mins of the game. Rickert and Penny with 7 each early too...

Reply #153206 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Well I solved my problem

It wouldnt load in FireFox, or IE7....so i used 30mb to download Safari specifically to listen....LOL

cheerz for the idea cavolo

Reply #153208 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Im using Mozilla and i had to wait 20-30 seconds for advertisement's before the live feed game through.

Reply #153209 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Thirty Suxers" up by 4 at 1/4 time at the "north shore eevents centere". Chappell off to a good start.

Reply #153210 | Report this post

sydsixersfan  
Years ago

30 26 sixers up after one

Reply #153211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol "eexel dinch"

Reply #153212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Live audio fine for me in Firefox.

Good start by the 36ers, shooting very well.

Reply #153214 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

chappell so far have a gd game.. bout time, lucky iu left him in my dream team, only on the bench tho :P

Reply #153216 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

error before, lucky i left him in my dream team**

Reply #153217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pity he dropped 40 grand before hand

Reply #153218 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Sixers missed 5 out of 6 free throws in the last 1:30 to end the half - would have been nice to keep that 5- 10 pt buffer going intead of just a 2 point lead. Hopefully we can keep shooting well - and if we can shut down Rickert or he goes cold, we can come away with a much needed road W.

Go sixers

Reply #153220 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

nah he didnt drop for me, i bought him after he dropped because i saw he was healthier again, so bargain for me

Reply #153221 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

And yet again the live scores screw themselves..

Reply #153223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enough afroman .. great pick up then .. nice work

Reply #153224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

live scores are fine

Reply #153226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forman with 5 fouls - guess we'll see from the telecast tonight, but he can tend to pick up fouls trailing a quicker opponent. Chappell, meanwhile, has been to the stripe 7 times.

Hard to tell without seeing the game though.

Reply #153228 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Sixers down by 2 points after Penney's buzzer beating triple

Reply #153229 | Report this post

sydsixersfan  
Years ago

has the nbl website stopped again????

Reply #153230 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

love the commentators when they shoot a 3, soo excited oww dissapoitment it missed, gets me every time thinking theve scored, rickert scoring well obviously cant say much more without seeing the game.

Reply #153231 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Forman is fouled out

Reply #153232 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

forman gone, just got fouled out, theres one less offense threat for the 6ers to worry about. good work chappell you have done something well tonight

Reply #153233 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I was going to post that Chappell needed to have a 15, 5 & 5 game for us to win it. Well, he reached that target at 3/4 time (but no real indication that we will win it yet).

Reply #153234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree re commentators calling out threes. Gets me every time too.

Reply #153235 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

sounds like hes playing well so far, hes needed to keep playing well for the rest of this game and season for me to be happy tho.

CMON 6ERS

Reply #153236 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I can't see why Mottram doesn't get more of a run. I don't think he has missed a shot that he has put up yet this season?

Correction - shooting at 87% before tonight, and currently on 3 of 3.

Reply #153237 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Chappell 20 points

Reply #153239 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

score plz?

Reply #153241 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

99-99

Reply #153242 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Stuck on 92 - 99 Sixers for me. Any updates from the live listeners?

Reply #153243 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

101-99 Breakers up

Reply #153244 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

thanks..time?

Reply #153245 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

106-101 Breakers Up

Darren Ng charge, turnover Breakers ball, a few minutes left

Reply #153247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Four minutes left. I think NZ are up by two maybe. I have bets on either team by 1-10, so looking OK for now.

Penney and Chappell on five fouls. Both teams in the bonus.

Chappell has arrived - 20/5/5 with time to go.

Didn't I call that Forman-Chappell match-up as an issue? Forman fouls out in minimal time and Chappell must be best on court for Adelaide?

Apart from their yelling about threes, the commentators seem to lack bias - happily admitting Ronaldson may have got away with a goal-tending (he can still jump?!).

Reply #153249 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

108-102 Breakers up, 2:50 left in the 4th

Reply #153250 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

nz 106..101 36ers grrr...go sixers

Reply #153251 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

grrr nbl.com stuck :(

Reply #153252 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

We have shot at a much better percentage than them (except for from the stripe), but they have killed us on the boards.

Reply #153254 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chappell fouls out. Breakers still up by four.

Big game from Rickert.

Reply #153255 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Rickert - 30 pts, 13 boards, 7 at the offensive end.

Anyone heard of blocking out?

Reply #153256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs miss an out of bounds, and Maher hits a three? Commentators getting a bit worked up about it. Dench fouls to stop the clock. Penney getting it done from the line now.

Reply #153258 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Sixers have lost :(

Reply #153260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers win.

Bit like the Perth game - 36ers up early, lose narrowly, but show good signs.

Rickert with 30, Penney 26, Rono with 19/6/8.

Maher 24, Chappell 21, Dench and Ballinger 16.

Reply #153261 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ronaldson's 19pts, 6 boards and 8 assists is a nice line too. Ronaldson has become the assist machine the last few games.

Reply #153262 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

From Squid in NZ: Chappell actually played really well. We had no answer for Rickert or Penney. Why was Sutton taken off when burning in the last quarter? Where was Mottram as he's the only one capable of getting a loose ball?

I will add: what is Smyth's excuse going to be if Chappell starts firing and we STILL can't win?

Also, good for Chappell to have a bit of a breakout game.

Reply #153265 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

NZ win.. I tipped them.. great games by Penney and Rickert who are both on my dream team!

Ronaldsons line looked nice, chappell hits some good form and maher has a nice game with 27 points

Reply #153266 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Won't win too many giving up an extra 10 offensive rebounds!

Reply #153272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ronaldson is the engine of that team IMO. Could see it in the pre-season. Very underrated pick-up.

Reply #153274 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

unfortunetly good signs are wins, unless the good signs turn into good play then we are stuck like this. bit dissapointing in boht the perth game and now this game we had the early lead but just couldnt hold it.

and one more thing is penney or rickert a 3 man, if they are thats our weakness same as the perth game

Reply #153307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did we go without Davidson. Did it show?

Reply #153309 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

Off Def To fls Ast Blks Stls T/O
Breakers 17 28 45 23 21 3 3 4
36ers 7 28 35 27 21 3 1 11

some of the stats, offensive rebounds 17 to 7 that is crap and the big one 4 t/O to the 6ers 11, that is horrible, just coz we didnt have davidson doesnt mean we can turn the ball over. the rebounds is horrible since we have 4 guys 7 foot (not all on at once) and we still get beaten

Reply #153311 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

..........Off Def To fls Ast Blks Stls T/O
Breakers 17..28..45..23 21 ..3 ...3 ...4
36ers 7...28..35..27 21 ..3 ...1 ..11

just to fix that above

Reply #153312 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Why not just post a link to the box scores...

http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=72584

Reply #153314 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

yer i tried wasnt working for me, bad computer atm. still there tho thanks for posting link.

Reply #153316 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why have we gone back to that useless switch man to man again for almost the whole game it is killing us!!!!

Please tell me if my logic is messed up here or if Smyth and his coaching staff don't have a clue. He calls a time out with 40 odd seconds left with us down by 6 and Instructs "Shoot a 3 and once we hit it foul straight away" So what happens is we hit a 3 and there is 33 seconds left on the clock. Am I going crazy or what, wouldn't it be best to NOT foul knowing that if we get a stop and they use 19 of their 24 second shot clock we would have 14 seconds to either get a quick 2 or hit a 3 to tie it!?!

Lets be serious New Zealand are an Average team! Turner is below average for an import. Ronaldson was not resigned by his last team and was shooting about 25% from the field coming into this game. Rickert is no better then Ballinger or Chappell and I think could be contained much easier if more homework was done on him. If he goes right he does a hook shot otherwise he spins and goes left and charges towards the basket. Besides Jones, NZ's bench is average. and the reason we lose to them? Out coached!

Reply #153331 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Would we have beaten them with Davidson playing?? i must admit im not shocked we lost, NZ are about the same level of us IMO both in that 6th-11th group, and it was there home game so im not too shocked, aslong as we beat NZ when they come here its not too bad and atleast we seemed to put up a good fight and it was a close game.
Good to see Chappell have a good game, lets hope that form continues for the rest of the season and we can get some wins on the board, especially when Davidson returns.

Reply #153332 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I watched the game on Fox last night and for the first quarter at least we went away from that ridiculous switching man and actually played half decent D, and what do you know we were up 10.

Then Phil has a brainwave and thinks to himself, hmmmmm "ok we really need to stop doing this as it's working for us, let's change our D and play a switching man". NZL start to come back and keep it close, then in the 4th Phil decides not to change back to some real D. Poor coaching IMO.

Reply #153345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old story - wrong guys taking shots in the 4th.

Maher and Ballinger needed to get more looks, especially Brett who was shooting at such a great clip.

Reply #153346 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Just adding to what I mentioned before, did anyone notice in the time-out Phil telling the players to switch to a Zone? Why would you do this when NZL have that many good outside shooters? Especially with the Sixers poor rotation?

Reply #153350 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

The coaching was below average again last night . The defensive sets were ill timed and the extended half court pressure at the start of the third helped NZ gain momentum and got their shooters into the game .
I don't think Chappell played that well at all , he scored a few but his moves were slow and he was almost going through his man instead of around , still has no legs and the same goes for Mottram , Dench and Cooper weak core strength and flat out slow.
We got bullied inside and on the glass , the big guys need to toughen up and get a little nasty .
Overall it was an uninspiring performance and once again we let an average player have a career night against us .

Reply #153373 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

and one more thing is penney or rickert a 3 man, if they are thats our weakness same as the perth game
Afroman - Penney is a SG mostly and Rickert is a 6'11" power forward who scored almost entirely on put backs and hooks inside.

Reply #153402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Kersten go?

Reply #153421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought Ryan played really well. Hit a three, got to the line and scored on a couple of drives - 8 points all up. Looked after the ball well on offense too. Did everything I reckon would've been expected of him.

Reply #153435 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

ok cheers. atleast it wasnt like the perth game the

Reply #153523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754