Nutwork
Years ago

NBA in China

Sorry if someone posted this already but i couldn't see it anywhere.....could this be the end of the NBL? or, an opportunity to be a conference or a division of something bigger and more lucrative?

Link

In essence it says that the NBA might look into starting some sort of league up in China in conjunction with the CBA.

Would our best players flock to this league, Sam Mac, Anstey, Bruton etc. could play in this league and be not far from home. Or could it be an opportunity, maybe the NBL could go opposite seasons and pick up some gun players looking to do a preseason or just make some extra cash. I guess we will wait and see if anything happens, but you've got to think Stern desperately wants to tap into Asia somehow.

Topic #13190 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Surprised not to see any responses here yet Nutwork as I think your concerns about the loss of top-tier players from the NBL are very real.

I think that anyone trying it might not last all that long (see the Slingers team last year, and realise it'd be tougher than Singapore by a long shot), but even losing your best players for a season would hurt.

It could mean a lot of jobs for almost-NBA-level Americans too so it'd get the support of the sport in a broader sense in that country IMO.

Reply #154047 | Report this post

Doesnt the N in NBA stand for 'national'. Why can't they stay in their own country.

Reply #154115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, thats why the Aussie league went to NZ and Singapore!

Reply #154118 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754