Anonymous
Years ago

Best Replacement For Phil?

Who would be the best replacement for Phil?

Topic #13231 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Which Phil? Dr. Phil?

Reply #154437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is coaching a good under 10 team at the moment. i think the team needs to get back down to basics.

Reply #154442 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

ME!!!

Reply #154448 | Report this post

Seen the light  
Years ago

Honestly i only see 2 possible replacements.....

1. My first option and for many reasons is Scott Ninnis... a favorite son of the club...has done the hard yards and been involved in different programs to cut his teeth and think he is ready for it and deserves it!

2. Second choice would be Ian Stacker...he should be in the league somewhere, is too good a coach not to be...would bring a totally new approach to the program and could attract some real good young aussie talent...something we need and quick!

At the end of the day any change will be a good change....bring it on tomorrow please Mal...we need saving!

Reply #154454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphrey B Bear? Would show more signs of life and wouldnt have to hear piss poor excuses cos he cant talk.

And he has hair!

Reply #154458 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Wasnt there talk of Cal Bruton coming on board last season? What ever happened to that?

Reply #154459 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lol...thanks ryno, but im busy at the moment :)

Reply #154461 | Report this post

Southern Sharks  
Years ago

Not sure if Stacker would get a gig at adelaide.

Belly is Stacker's manager, and after his failed sixers bid i've got a feeling he's not too happy to be dealing with the sixers.

If you have a look at Belly's player's under management list it makes for some interesting reading:

Maher: on a long-term sixers contract?
Rychart: no longer with the sixers
Cattalini: no longer with the sixers
Crawford: who?
Forman: now with the Breakers
Ingles: Had an 'oral' agreement with the sixers, but signed with the dragons
Hill: now with the dragons
then down into the rookies/sophmores etc.

By looking at the player list, i don't think Belly is too keen on assisting the sixers, but it would be nice to get either Stacker or Ninnis (back) into the program.

Reply #154463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker... its been proven now that you need defence to win games... simply trying outscoring teams wont get it done.

Stacker is a hardened coach.. and could reinvent the 6ers brand of bball.

Reply #154464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil's not going anywhere, Mal will keep him till the fans come no longer, then truck the whole circus to it's new home over the border with the Grand Prix.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Reply #154468 | Report this post

change now  
Years ago

Bell represents Ninnis as well southern sharks so maybe neither are an option???

Reply #154473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bell doesnt care what club they go to he took some of those players elsewhre because they paid bigger $$$$ hes an agent its about the bottom line simple

Reply #154478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were Bell could you honestly recommend they play under Smyth with the obvious lack of attention to detail and development that he provides. He runs a glorified pick up ball program, thats about it.

Reply #154480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not just about the $$$ anon. Its also about the development program etc. Cant argue with any decisions so far. INgles has only blossomed and become a star since going to dragons. Was never going to happen that quickly if he played here.

Reply #154482 | Report this post

Southern Sharks  
Years ago

blossomed since going to the dragons???

So his 29 on debut was soley due to his pre-season at the dragons, not the two years prior at the 'tute, or his time with the emu's, or his time at the tigers... ha!

Reply #154483 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Jan Stirling

Reply #154487 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Shane Heal?

Reply #154489 | Report this post

fireman  
Years ago

Sapwell for sure.
Heavy on development. Spends plenty of time out of training working individually with players.
Well respected around the country. Connections with Dunlap in the states and other connections in the US college system.
Amazing work ethic as a player, and really knows how to coach it.
Don't see any negatives?

Reply #154490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that a joke about Sapwell? few of his players would disagree i think you would find.
he has no idea, not a good coach at all does put in effort but that doesnt make you a good coach.

Reply #154499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

By looking at the player list, i don't think Belly is too keen on assisting the sixers
You can't say he didn't try though and give the 36ers every opportunity. The Ingles story is well known, Hill's a little too, and Belly went to the 36ers re retaining Rychart and Forman and they did not want to go through negotiations at that time - by the time they did, other clubs were showing interest.

Reply #154506 | Report this post

Bald basher  
Years ago

Listen on nbl.com Phils latest interview, more excuses and seems happy with the result.

Reply #154513 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

Ray De Wit!
You guys can talk crap, so can I!!!

Reply #154514 | Report this post

Seinfeld  
Years ago

Are you serious? I can't stop laughing, every line of that statement got funnier as it went on.

The 2nd to last line was actually funny because it had an element of truth. True, had an amazing work ethic as a player. Have you seen Jim Carey hoop in the Cable Guy?

Reply #154517 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Phil IS coaching for his job this Saturday. He may not get the flick staight away but the decision to move him on seasons end will be galvanised.

Reply #154521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sapwell can't coach!

Reply #154539 | Report this post

seen the light  
Years ago

he shouldnt even be an assistant!

its Ninnis or Stacker, they are the only options...

With what Boti wrote today about Ninnis, lets hope he is made assistant and then Phil is def gone :P

Reply #154542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where's Boti's mention of Ninnis? Online or not - can't find it.

Reply #154544 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isaac, I think it was an off the cuff remark about Scottie not taking assistant jobs. The last 3 have seen the head coach fired.

Reply #154545 | Report this post

seen the light  
Years ago

its in the "around the NBL" section, not sure if its on line...

he says, "Its unlikely Scott Ninnis will be adding to his assistant-coaching resume anytime soon after the last three men he worked beside, Staker, Price and Lucas - all got sacked"

little tongue in cheek but im more than happy for him to be Phils assistant now and have the same trend follow

Reply #154548 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I defend Phil a bit, but have to say I agree seen the light.

Reply #154550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold coast will win.

We have shown our inability to guard bigs - crosswhite, pepper and rickert have all had just aboutr career games on us, no reason why melmeth and cameron, frank wont either.

Plus we will be weary from road trips and oh yea...one other thing...phil cant coach.

Reply #154551 | Report this post

Homey the Clown  
Years ago

Steve Breheny?

yeah right..

We need someone young who has enthusiasm, like a Beveridge.

Phil is out coached, out recruited, out scouted....it goes on and on.

Without the under the table cash to float the team: see late 90's........Phil has needed to develop what he's got. This has and will never happen.

Phil has been found wanting on all levels....

Reply #154566 | Report this post

Uniden 91  
Years ago

Marty Clarke is the ideal replacement.

International experience as a coach and a player. Has great connections with the likes of Ingles, Mills, Ogilvy, etc. AS well as with Aussie kids and coaches in college.

Has shown that he can develop talent. And that he can win. With an SEABL championship.

Probably is a future Australian Coach as well.

The only choice!

Reply #154570 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

154551 - Ive got some reasons why Pero, melmeth amd Frank wont have career night against Adelaide...

Melmeth - will get about 12 minutes on court
Frank - will throw the ball away too much and get in foul trouble
Pero - will be a solid contributor and play a role very well

The player I think is due for a break out game is Hawkins.....and seeing as he plays SF its probably a great week for him to cut loose. If he has a big game and the others (Crowe/Harvey/Mcgregor) do their job the Blaze will go close - But Ill still tip Adelaide at home by 5-10

Reply #154579 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"So his (Inlges) 29 on debut was soley due to his pre-season at the dragons, not the two years prior at the 'tute, or his time with the emu's, or his time at the tigers... ha!"

No, it was due to the playing time that he was given at the Dragons, something that the 6ers almost certainly (or any other club) would have given him at that stage of his career.

Reply #154588 | Report this post

Southern Sharks  
Years ago

the 6ers almost certainly (or any other club) would have given him

wouldn't have?

Reply #154591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pull Darren (Boof) Leahman out of county cricket. A born leader!

Reply #154592 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have heard criticism from people close to the action in that field suggesting that Boof is not necessarily a good leader for young players.

Reply #154593 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Heard the same Isaac, actually heard it was because of the example set that the Redbacks are in the doldrums..

Very good tactician, very good at a party.

Reply #154594 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"the 6ers almost certainly (or any other club) would have given him

wouldn't have?"

Ohhhh, fussy.....I think you might have known what I meant.

Reply #154638 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Garnier fructus are wanting to sponsor The 36'ers, if they could get Phil Smyth to show their product every time he uses the word gel, the sixers would be set to make a fortune.

Reply #154650 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Taxi for Phil!!

Reply #154791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754