Question
Years ago

What is Goorjian saying?

Not really being a basketball expert, I'm wondering if it's just me or does anyone else have difficulty figuring out what Goorjian is saying during those time outs (as shown on Foxsports)?

He throws around a bunch of terms which I can't work if it's normal basketball jargon or some special code words only he uses for plays, defensive sets, etc.

Topic #13237 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Don't worry not even the players know what he is saying most of the time.

Most of what he is saying is pure jargon

EG "Shakes" is one of their offensive sets.

I remember when Heal was commentating a game and Carfino asked him as a former Goorjian player if he understood what was being said at a time out. He responded that " you kind of work it out after a while"

Reply #154511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder if any of it is a conscious decision to confuse opposition coaches listening to his time-outs, or just all part of some bizarre natural style.

Reply #154516 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I don't think he says anything of any more value than what Phil says. At that level the players should already know what they're doing. Sorry, but if a play by play needs to be spelled out during a time out, there's something very wrong.

Reply #154525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, you should write that in a memo to all NBA coaches too. Think of the money they could save on play boards.

Reply #154527 | Report this post

Works  
Years ago

Dana,

SO obviously a coach is not needed in games?

What a load of crud!

Good coaches are able to direct the focus of the offence. To exploit the weaknesses they see in the other team. To give their players, who are in a hottly contested competitive situation, some clarity and detail.

You've obviously been watching Smyth for too long. Just going out and letter players decide everything doesn't work, when all the other teams in the league have been scouting the same stuff for years.

Change it up, execute it better, focus on the weak spots. I would suggest that considering Adelaide have not thrown the ball inside for the last 10 years, gives teams the ability to pressure the perimeter. Can't say that about any other team in the league.

Just shameful coaching, and an even more rediculous post Dana!

Reply #154529 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Well Smyth spends half of the time out talking to his assistant in any case! What is all that crap about?!

Reply #154563 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What I mean is that the players at NBL level should know the plays for different scenarios from practice.
The coach shouldn't need to spell out the player-by-player moves by moving magnets on a board. They should already know that from practice.
He ought to be able to tell them 'which' play they are doing, not spell it out like a coach would do to say a junior team who are just learning.
So I agree that 'exploiting weaknesses, giving clarity & detail' are what the coach should do...and I think Phil does that often. But when someone rabbits on with so many words during a timeout....I wonder just how many of those words are even heard, let alone understood.

Reply #154610 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

And I'm talking 'top level' basketball. Watch coaches like Phil Jackson and Don Nelson... you don't see them rabbiting on etc like some do...

Reply #154611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you can't change any of your plays during the game Dana?

Reply #154618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some scenarios might require adjustments to plays - maybe one player has fouled out, or they need to attack an opponent in a certain way, etc.

I don't think Goorjian is the one to emulate when it comes to delivering a time out though (much rather Westover or Wright).

Reply #154627 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I was lip-reading Smyth at a time-out last week when he met with the assistant mid court.
I am sure he said "Did you see the blonde with the big norks in the 3rd row back at the western end of the court?"
what Dana says definitely has some merit. Do they all forget a set play that quickly and need a drawing?

Reply #154628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Dunno about that...)

Reply #154630 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Darn! I missed that part of the conversation, as I turned to have a perv myself. He has good taste, that's for sure.

Reply #154631 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

ok here is when i get ticked off,
firstly, i understand not what EVERYONE on heres problem is with goorjian. firstly, have any of you actually played for him or trained under him...

i have had the privillege of training under him, and having done that, it is not hard to understand what he is saying in time-outs etc.

see thats what happens with teams...you cant just walk in off the street and understand what the coach is on about (im talking high level teams here) you have to gradually develop an understanding between player and coach and team.

but then you guys wouldnt understand that... your IQ's arent quite at that level yet

Reply #154637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe we just havent trained under him. ;)

Reply #154639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had him as a team coach at Summer Heat (goddamn that was a good camp) one year. He talks like this all the freaking time! You do understand, but he just gives everything strange names!

Reply #154655 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

HEY!...Phil..Steve...and hanginround, STOP perving at my wife all the time!!!

lol

Reply #154702 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

I bet youve been under him alright Obsturder!

Reply #154733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754