Isaac
Years ago

Heat-Wolves trade: Walker, Davis, Blount, etc

The Miami Heat, reeling from the continued injury absence of Dwyane Wade and an 0-7 record in the preseason, have responded with a promising double boost for their aging roster.

Finding an unexpected taker for out-of-favor forward Antoine Walker, Miami on Wednesday completed a trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves to acquire swingman Ricky Davis and center Mark Blount.

The Wolves will also receive Michael Doleac and Wayne Simien (and their expiring contracts) in addition to Walker. Minnesota initially balked at taking back Walker, according to NBA front-office sources, but the Heat threw in a future first-round draft pick to push the trade through.

ESPN: Heat get Davis, Blount from Wolves for package including Walker

Can anyone pick a winner in this trade? Is it just me, or are the Wolves going to be fairly crap this year?

Topic #13238 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Wolves will finish way last in the West.

Not too bad for the Heat - they get a good scorer who has a history of causing trouble. But with not 1 but 2 alpha dogs in Shaq and Wade I doubt he will get out of line - much like when S-Jax played for the Spurs.

Reply #154508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Article hints at some issues between Blount and Jefferson (who seems to be one of the Wolves franchise pieces from this point) pushing this trade along. Still can't see much good in this for Minnesota, besides that pick.

Reply #154510 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bad week in Horvath land, gets cut and then his team gets rebuilt to one notch above crap.

Reply #154512 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

They will be crap but they are at year zero (to quote Pol Pot) now - which is way better than where they were last year... I am excited about the new team - and i honestly don`t think they are anywhere near as bad as some think... 20-25 wins is the worst they can expect (they are not 92-93 Dallas Mavs (13 wins if i remember) putrid at any rate)... Clearly they think their 2nd rounder Richard is a keeper (gives them the opportunity to keep him as a rostered player)...

Reply #154518 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Is McHale trying to completely destroy the Timberwolves?

Reply #154523 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Helps both teams.

Davis and Blount are an upgrade over Fatoine and Doleac.

Twolves were already going to be one of the worst teams in the NBA. Rumoured that Jefferson and Blount didn't get on well together. This saves them some cash and clears their rotation out abit so the young guys can get some more PT. Doleac is in the last year of his contract and Fatoine has 2 years left. His ~7mil contract should be a decent trading chip next season. Plus the Wolves get a 1st round pick.

Reply #154528 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Yep - Trouble is that McHale and Taylor were the architects of the team that needed destroying... and rebuilding from the ground up...

They have a talented (potentially superstar caliber) post in Jeff, Foye (poor mans DWyade), two very good young post/sf players in Gomes and Rhino (Smith), Brewer (a Final 4 MVP on one of the Greatest EVER college squads), two precoucious pups - Green and Telfair who will be given a chance to play and show what they were thought to have when they were drafted (Telfair is a real X factor for this team - if he can finally play like he has a clue and stay away from the heat - he will make Minny`s trade seem like a stroke of genius - IF...), and various Vets like Jaric, Virginia Madsen, Buckner - AND RATLIFF (another X-Factor... gives them their first ever gun defensive C (if he stays healthy))...

I will watch the C`s and Garnett with interest - but i think at this stage that trade was a wash and by seasons end - the general consensus will be that Minny got the better of the deal... (time will tell)...

Reply #154534 | Report this post

how many players do minny have now? like 25? in their last 2 trades, they've given away 3 players and received 8.

Reply #154541 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Yeah you are right (my mistake)... I think before the trade they had 17... So take out 2 and add 3 = 18... John Edwards was a practice body (non-gaur.) - he`s gone (17)... I have a feeling Richard (non-gaur.) will be cut now (16) and I`d love to see Madsen bought out (pipedream???) (15)... A rumor (real GM) is that Walker will be bought out (with Miami contributing to the payout - not sure if this is exempt from the salary matching for the trade)... that (the Miami payment) would make sense given the seeming "apple for crap" prima facie nature of the trade...

Of course maybe the bodies and picks that Minny have acquired may be part of another plan to package into deals to offload some of their other unwanteds (Howard (i hope they keep him actually), Jaric, Buckner, Madsen???)...

Reply #154547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if your a minny fan then your happy your team is at least attempting to develop something. They have two guys to build around and develop in Foye n Jeff, and look for McCants to improve this year.
They should keep howard depending on the positive or negative impact on Jeff.

Reply #154584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754