smooth pockets
Years ago

Sixers Dreaming: Remember when...

... On the breakaway the ball would go to Scotty Ninnis in the open court and the crowd would stand in anticiptaion of a one handed jam.

...The crowd would boo every time Shane Heal touched the ball

... You could hear the crowd murmur "threeeee" when the Iceman or Mike McKay used to get that look in their eye when they had their feet set from beyond the arc.

...The crowd would boo every time Simon Kerle touched the ball

... The chairman of the boards sailed above the rest to rip down a huge offensive rebound and put it back with interest.

...The crowd would boo every time Andrew "The Microwave" Parkinson ate a pie

... KB would knock down and impossible turnaround J with Vlahov's armpit in his face.

...The crowd would boo when Bruce Palmer didn't get a technical which he deserved.

... Mahersey would go back door for 2 off a Darnell Mee frozen rope assist.

...The crowd would boo Mal "Hollywood" Cooper for a poor call.

...Willie Farley would strip the ball, breakaway for a statue of liberty dunk and whip the crowd into a frenzy down the sidelines.

...The crowd would boo Brian Goorjian.

Characters and the ability to perform the spectacular is what used to bring crowds to the game. Forget halftime entertainment and gimmicks, that is all superficial.

All we have nowadays is robots moving around in circles running "stuff". I find i'm losing interest just about as soon as the ball crosses the halfway line.

Are the old days well and truly behind us never to return? Dare I say bring back Ken Cole as next coach of the 36ers.

Topic #13248 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

showtime doesnt matter when youre winning! oh wait........

Reply #154656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I havent been to a game in adelaide for year!

Are the crowd still as passionate as they were? Do they still boo those who deserve it?

I get to brisbaen games, and sometimes im the only calling out for a travel. I miss my sixers :(

Reply #154657 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The natives tend to get a bit restless these days when the team becomes stagnant, but beside that everyone is still fairly noisy and only too happy to kick up a fuss if a call goes the wrong way. Probably still a lot like you remember it I think.

Reply #154658 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd bring in Ken Cole of course, to coach and train up Scott or whoever.
I would have given the chairman of the boards the one more year that he asked for. He could still play nbl,just not for 40mins.

(I'll still hang 'round though)

Reply #154673 | Report this post

flight_44  
Years ago

Where have all the characters gone?

Paris walking through opposition huddles on court.

Rick Brunson lobbing the ball from half court for Trimmingham to slam.

Butch Hays dropping in a 360 dunk.

We weren't top off the class back then but the atmosphere was awesome and you knew something special was going to happen most nights.

You may say I'm living in the past, but damn the past was good and the future well.......

Reply #154676 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Jason Crowe from the Blaze can be a bit of a character...

If he gets on a roll with a couple of steals/good drives or a big 3 he can fire right up and get involved with the crowd. On the other hand if he has the sulks on he can seem dissinterested. For my sake I hope he is on top of his game this weekend and puts on a bit of a show :)

Reply #154679 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hmm a tough crowd you guys,

I do remember many of the "dreams" from above...

HOWEVER,

many of the plays and "character" moments would leave us light in defence...as Willy ran down the sideline hyping the crowd, the opponent was running straight down the middle for a simple reply.

I love the days and moments mentioned and would kill for a couple of showmen to set the place afire.

BUT!

Are the snipers on this forumn going to allow the downsides to be overlooked when it costs us points/games and, when Phil at a timeout in the last 5 minutes of a close game tells his team to go out there and put on a show, i assume we will all sit here and say...

well we lost, but we saw a great statue of liberty and didnt Willie pump us up?

your choice, what would you take, results...or a show?

Reply #154693 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"your choice, what would you take, results...or a show?"

Which one are you getting now?

Reply #154694 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

fair point Dicko

Reply #154695 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Bad results and effort 'no show'.

Reply #154697 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

FYI......This has been up before but just for a bit of Ninnis magic. DAMN he was quick in those days.

Reply #154698 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Love that baseline stuff Scottie....

Reply #154701 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Love those shorts.

Reply #154712 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DB, I remember seeing that baseline dunk live. The crowd just ERUPTED.

Reply #154715 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

"Kruger's a wanker"

Matt Neilson trying to smack a fan

Leon Trimmingham!!!

Rupert Sapwells Bank 3s

Those were the days...

Reply #154716 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

That would have been sweet Biz...

Reply #154720 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Don Shipway slapping someone heckling him in the crowd...

Those were the days, when the coach had a backbone..

Reply #154721 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Don Shipway slapping someone heckling him in the crowd...

Those were the days, when the coach had a backbone..

Reply #154722 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Shippy was a leader.

Reply #154802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754