Anonymous
Years ago

Are punishments archaic?

Basketball and suicides are common and tales of coaches running players to death abound but I wondered if punishing groups is all that effective in the 21 first century.
Good communication skills in basketball is rare and I would have thought it was the key to success not the physical and verbal abuse that proliferates basketball.
Seems that coaches want to instil a fear of making a mistake and don't understand that players worrying about mistakes make more of them, take less chances and don't back their judgement.
Junior sports that positively reinforce effort and understand the value of mistakes are light years ahead of basketball. Yelling and abusing kids is a coaching flaw and irrespective of that type of coaches skill ability leads more away from the game than to it at all levels.
From an era where drinking water while playing sport was limited because they thought you'd cramp to today, only basketball remains ignorant and tolerates kids being abused

Topic #13256 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

I can't tell you how many good men I've lost to basketball related suicides, seems like every week I lose another one.

Reply #154762 | Report this post

URACLOWN  
Years ago

No problems cupcake! Problem today is to many parents like you make the coaches job hard. My little Johny should play more. If he had a better coach my kid would be a star. The coach has destroyed my sons confidence. Good players find a way to get it done.

Reply #154763 | Report this post

sookysookylala  
Years ago

Depends on the level.

Sure if you are playing school ball or div 3 or something.

But if you are in a team that has elite level players and your attitude and performance is not at the necessary level, then expect to get told.

You are probably the same kind of parent that will tell a coach that they didn't give a players enough of a chance, or enough feedback whan they get cut.

Easy way top not get yelled at is to do what the coach asks in the first place.

Reply #154765 | Report this post

talkaboutthat  
Years ago

Ah - the old communication problem.

Dictators do not communicate.

Look who runs the game in this state and that sums it all up. Same old problems for 30 years now.

Death of the game must be near

Reply #154767 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

My question is, why are they doing the punishments? Is it because they are making mistakes? making the same mistakes? talking? mucking around? lacking intensity? lack fitness? not making targets?

Do you have an examples?

Reply #154768 | Report this post

FromTheRealWorld  
Years ago

Do you beleive that parents should be able to smack their young kids?

Are you talking u14s or U18s div 1? In my opinion, very different standards apply for these groups.

Yelling is a rich form of communication. You tell them, teach them, get them to repeat it over and over calmly remind them and then if it still doesnt sink in you might use some richer forms of communication, not swearing (when its kids), just raising your voice a little and getting them to run a little. Penalties are also good for fitness too.

THat is how it works in the real world, with the big boys, too big fella. I've worked with Executives of Billion/Multi Million $$ companies. You have no idea how many F-Bombs I have heard them drop when someone screws up or when they say what will happen if that person screws up. Trust me, when they do this you listen! When they are paying you big bucks they want you to get right.

Same with sport. When you are at a high level sooner or later you gotta get right. If you dont like it then ask to play at a level you wont get yelled at.

I think Bobby Knight puts it best here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0od7spyth_I

Reply #154770 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Ego can be a dirty word, but sometimes the team needs to harden the F up, and thats when suicides etc are part and parcel of training.

At an elite level, do the hard yards and get things right, or run instead.

Clearly coaches need to monitor why they are setting suicides.

Reply #154772 | Report this post

URACLOWN  
Years ago

Coaches make teams run because the players break clearly defined rules. In the past coaches had the support of parents. Now kids get excuses from their parents and that undermine the coach. IT IS NO SUPRISE WHY SA BASKETBALL WAS STRONGER IN THE 90s.

Reply #154773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Punishments like sprints and suicides are good if the reason is right. If the kids make a skill error then they need to be pulled aside and shown how to execute the drill/skill (I'm taking juniors upto u14). If they still mess it up they need their level assessed. If the kids are being lazy or ratbags then "baseline" is the call. some of those kids could use the fitness and those that dont take it in their stride.

Reply #154774 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I find many coaches yell and scream at training so that on game day all thats needed is a quiet reminder and all players involved will remember what happened at training. This re-enforces the point to them without denting their confidence in times when its needed. Punishments are a form of making people better. If you miss the free throws...you run...if you make them you dont. I can tell you they will practise their FTs coz nobody likes running suicides.

Reply #154782 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Can you imagine not having punishments at the NBL level?
Training sessions would just be light scrimmages.
The coach would be everybodys' favourite.
Every player would want to play for this coach.
The team would just go out onto the court and run whatever the hell offence they wanted.

Wait a minute..........

Reply #154804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder players don't sprint a lot on court, jog too often, bring the ball up slow, don't dive for loose balls, little intensity anda lack desire as little Johnny or little Mary may find it too hard! Mummy and daddy might get up set, poo hoo! Go play social then. Sprinting, suicides and other things are needed for fitness to play the game at a higher level as well as good skills. Differentiate from this to "punishment", as the latter conjours meanness.

Reply #154805 | Report this post

inspector  
Years ago

A appology to 'Sally's' mum.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith' that I yelled at your daughter. I was unaware that she is not to be held accountable for her actions. That after asking and expaining what was to be expected, that she didn't thinnk it was that important, and thus I she might need to understand just how important it is considered.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith' that I gave your daughter penalties. I did not know that she was allowed to not listen and get away with it. I am sure that it doesn't matter that the other players are doing the right thing. I am sure that if she is allowed to do the wrong thing, the other players will all do the right thing.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith' that the team had to do push ups. I should not expect your daughter to listen to the instruction. When the coach is talking, your daughter should be allowed to disrput other players, and continue to make the same mistakes.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith' for the team having to do a suicides. I am sure that your daughter is so fit that she doesn't need them. And that asking nicely will change her behaviour. I am sure that if I ask her nicely 10 times it will finaly sink in. Don't mind that the other players are being held back because she needs to be told 10 times.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith' that the expectation is too high for your child to meet. Maybe she should consider doing something with lower expectation, so that she doesn't stop other people from reaching their goals.

Sorry 'Mrs Smith', I thought that you would support your child in improving their attitude to reach goals in life by developing their life skills. I am sure that their boss will not yell at them when they do a poor job in the work place. I am sure that they wont need to stay late when they havn't finished a work presentation. I am sure that when they lose their company a large contract because they don't listen to the instructions the client gives them they wont lose their job.

Have a look at what you are allowing your child to become!

And rather than showing them that the way to get your point across is by randomly sniping on a forum, perhaps talking and discussing with the coach why and how you can better reach the level of performance necessary, would be better for them. By the looks of it, your kid should be thankful that somebody is expecting them to do the right thing because you and your action certainly aren't!

Reply #154808 | Report this post

Hay for my horse  
Years ago

I find it strange that having been to heaps of different sporting events involving my kids that basketball seems to be the only sport in which a coach seems to have the god given right to verbally abuse young 12-16 year old girls while everyone stands by and says nothing.

Reply #154819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Don't want to distract from an interesting topic, but gee some of these Google contextual ads are weird - a link unit ad for "Molestation" for example?!)

Reply #154821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it me, or has this topic come up a few times before? Junior coaches are volunteers, and as a junior coach myself, i find it extremely frustrating when players treat the so-called elite level of basketball as a chance to catch up with mates. Do I make my players do penalties? Yes. Do I yell? Yes. Do I teach my players to the best of my ability? Yes. For me, the perfect training would be were I didn't have to raise my voice to get my point across because they were all focussed on the task at hand.
But at the end of the day, there is a fine line between yelling to get your point across and verbal abuse. If as a parent you have an issue, talk to the coach, then if you're still not happy, take it higher in the club.

Reply #154829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pegs, maybe any and all of those things but can you imagine the reaction if your school age kid anywhere from reception to year 12 came home and told you they'd done 100 pushs ups that day because they were talking or making mistakes despite being shown. Probably most teachers would love such punishments but wiser heads have told us kids respond to positives not negatives.
Macho 'makes them tougher, stronger' stuff and 'it didnt do me any harm' rhetoric is a cover for abuse.
Coaches verbally abuse their charges in basketball in ways that would not be tolerated in everyday life and all parents allow the abuse in the vain hope that their child will 'break through'.
Conditioning athletes through suicides,running sessions, push-ups , weights, drills and scrimages are desirable but using these as punishments is from the past and verbally berating and humiliating kids is out of place in our sport.
That a good many see punishment and verbal abuse as a valuable tool, even desirable, gives a clear picture into why the sport is standing still.
It appears to difficult for some coaches to be able to run trainings or games without punishment and abuse being their controlling influence.
Make no mistake , physical punishments and verbal triades are abuse which very few people would tolerate outside of basketball yet meekly accept as normal for fear that someone will call them weak.

Reply #154835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably most teachers would love such punishments...
Wow. Are you sure that's what you meant to say?

Reply #154837 | Report this post

WOw  
Years ago

Isaac I assume this person is the person that started this thread. I am still LOL from the wording. Now let's analyse Mother Theresa's statements. And mother theresa this is for humour purposes only, please dont take this as physical or verbal abuse haha

Basketball and suicides are common and tales of coaches running players to death abound but I wondered if punishing groups is all that effective in the 21 first century.
Good communication skills in basketball is rare and I would have thought it was the key to success not the physical and verbal abuse that proliferates basketball.
Seems that coaches want to instil a fear of making a mistake and don't understand that players worrying about mistakes make more of them, take less chances and don't back their judgement.
Junior sports that positively reinforce effort and understand the value of mistakes are light years ahead of basketball. Yelling and abusing kids is a coaching flaw and irrespective of that type of coaches skill ability leads more away from the game than to it at all levels.
From an era where drinking water while playing sport was limited because they thought you'd cramp to today, only basketball remains ignorant and tolerates kids being abused

Reply #154839 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

WOw, different IP but identical browser string - not guaranteed, but probable.

Reply #154843 | Report this post

Get over it  
Years ago

Thanks for this thread Mrs Fisher.

Reply #154855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i play in under 16s and there is nothing wrong with what is happening. i talk to my friends who play footy and their training was done the same. its not verbal abuse its sport if u dont like it dont play

Reply #154978 | Report this post

Years ago

I don't know why fitness work is used as punishment. Sure, it's often hard work, but you'd think a bigger punishment would be exclusion, and that fitness work would just be standard activity in practices.

Reply #158716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754