skip
Years ago

Funny 36ers vs Gold Coast Blaze - Tonight 7PM

Massive game tonight for the sixers. Drop this one and it becomes a Massive hike to the playoffs.
Im gonna go with the 36ers but only by a basket. Crowd to be about 4379.

Topic #13262 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

defining game for the season so early on, one would think a poor outing hear should start the motions

Reply #154809 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

36ers by 6, crowd 4509, chappell to have a standout

Reply #154810 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ive heard Chappell has a cold. Hopefully doesnt effect him too much.

Reply #154812 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Will hopeully be a great game - very much looking forward to watching it tonight..

For the Blaze - Crowe to continue his good form - if he can protect the ball well he should have another strong game and will hopefully be the spark the Blaze need. Harvey - hasnt fireup up yet at the opposition with any niggle - possible the crowd at the Dome could get under his skin - Blaze need 20+ from him again tonight. Junior Joyce to back up these 2 - hopefuly he can be solid in 10 - 15 minutes. Campbell to get a few backup minutes as well - hopefully can hit a couple of 3s and get his confidence rolling. Pero, Macgregor should play the bulk of minutes at 4 and 5. Like to see more work inside from both of them rather than jacking up too many 3's - probably wishful thinking. If Pero has a good game could go a long way to seeing Blaze cause an upset. Melmeth hopefully to be used more in the rotation this week - like to see him get over 20mins and get on teh boards. Casey Frank could do anything - can spark team with good D and some exciting finishes - but for me, makes too many silly errors and sily fouls - at least with him on the court you will see something entertaining!
Hawkins IMO is the x factor in this game. His D and hussle over last couple of games has be top class, if he comtinues to improve on offence he could be the difference. Look for him to be agressive with shots early and if they start to drop he could go for 25+

For me - too many ifs and maybes for the Blaze - should be close troughout with both teams having exciting runs but Sixers to get up by 7

If the officiating is ordinary and the crowd gets right into it look for coach Joyce's face to go a nice red/purple colour as he picks up a tech!

Reply #154818 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Is Davidson any chance at all?? We Need Him!

Reply #154820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back at home against a team that has only beaten Singapore and the Hawks. Have to take care of the Blaze and then keep the momentum for the rest of this softish patch of games before it gets more challenging again.

Reply #154830 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Sixers by 6. Crowd 4777.

Reply #154831 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Sixers by 15. All Phil haters to return to the closet for at least one week. Crowd: 42 lol

Reply #154833 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

skip , Chappell doesn't have a cold he just is and has been all season .

Reply #154836 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

This is a case of if we win, we should have, but if we lose, then all hell should break loose!
I wonder if Boti will ever actually make it known how he thinks the coach is performing or will he wait until Phil has gone?

Reply #154838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At 2-5 and in 11th position on the NBL ladder, this is a real need-to-win game for the home team. Seven of their next nine games are at home against less-fancied teams and the patch provides as easy a road to improve the win-loss record as the team will find this season.

Their starting guards present the most danger to Adelaide, especially in the absence of 36er Brad Davidson.

Notorious scorer James Harvey is averaging 21.7 points per game while import Jason Crowe is scoring 16.6 PPG.

Read the rest of my game preview

I think Skip's call of 4300ish for the crowd number sounds good.

Missing Davidson or Chappell possibly having a cold can't be excuses - the Hawks just topped Perth without Mat Campbell or their new import. Adelaide need to and should win. Even at $1.42, they have my money.

Reply #154842 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce 12 turnovers and 0-7 from the field whilst playing way to many minutes!!!

If Joyce plays extended minutes the sixers are a chance!!!

Reply #154851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide by 20 plus - blow out game.

Maher with 30+

Reply #154854 | Report this post

Brendan Joyce  
Years ago

Daniel's been playing very well and is continuing on his good form from his rookie season. I'm going to rip your bloody arms of if you criticize my son again Ryno.

Reply #154857 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

can I watch????

Reply #154863 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I'm going out on a limb. Blaze by 3.
Crowd: 4666. It would be 4667 but I am still away. Not for very much longer.........

Reply #154864 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Noticed on Channel 7 news that there are new shot clocks. How long have we had them never noticed them before.

Reply #154866 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Has the game started yet?

Update: Sorry everyone, I forgot to look at the Foxtel Guide...... (OK I know, I'm a dickhead!)

Reply #154867 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

nah at 7 i think..

Reply #154868 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hey Sturty, got your email today, Monday is off, but Ive got days on Tues and Wed and then nights until Sunday.... Shit week....

Ok, I'm going with the Sixers by 3, but I won't be surprised if the GC roll us. Part of my is sort of hoping we lose which really sucks (I think it's the first time I've ever had a thought like that about Adelaide).

Crowd of 4156...

Reply #154869 | Report this post

watching fox - lot of mt seats

Reply #154870 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Games Started..

Reply #154871 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Games Started..

Reply #154872 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hmmmmm, similar story on the boards... Giving up offence rebounds..

Reply #154873 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Chappell for 3 but 2 fouls already.. hows it look people on fox??

Reply #154874 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ballinger for 3 howd that look!

Reply #154875 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Much better effort on the D end compared to the Kings... Brett is looking good.

How the hell does Joyce Jr get a run... He looks like a 10 year old with no handle and even less of a left hand.

Reply #154876 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ballinger 9 already.. What we are accually giving him the ball!!

Reply #154878 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

1/4 time 36ers by 3. 31 - 28.

Reply #154880 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Quarter Time

Sixers - 31 Gold Coast - 28

Ballinger with 12!

Reply #154881 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

TR. Want a few beers Sunday night??????

Reply #154882 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sounds good... same place??? They have a pretty good Sunday session in the afternoon, or we can goto the Nun

Reply #154884 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

second thoughts delete the Nun, missus wants to come

Reply #154885 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Gold Coast go on a 8 to 0 run and Phil calls a timeout. Times are a changin'.......

Reply #154887 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Oh here we go again.....

Reply #154888 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

13-0 run for Gold Coast

Adelaide 5 points ahead at long break, where up by 16 points during the second quarter. Pero Cameron killing us, Ballinger has 16 and is playing very well.

Great to see a few plays such as Maher's quarter time buzzer beater. Court looks great on Fox :)

The match should be on channel 9 tomorrow.

Reply #154889 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

There must be something big happening in Adelaide somewhere because the people sure aint at the Dome.

Reply #154891 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Newsflash: NBL Live Scoreboard is working.
(insert crossed fingers)

Reply #154892 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

How Many Do U Think Are At The Dome??

Reply #154893 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Yeah, there seems to be alot of people not there, including members. Not good to see at all.

Reply #154894 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The court looks slick on the big screen.....

Ballinger is getting the ball in good position and is killing them. I can't understand why Melmeth gets so little time, but SOJ gets a decent amount.

I like the look of Hawkins, Crowe looks pretty average. Harvey has done jack along with McGregor.

Reply #154895 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Hmm... Gaze is commentating the game, and even he is calling the fouls that umpires aren't Adelaide's way!

Reply #154896 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

OMG live audio and scoreboard is accually working !!!!!!!

Reply #154897 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

See Cairns are handing the Bullets their arse at the 1/2. 63-45 Taipans..

Reply #154898 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

Mike Chappell (or as he is known to Al Green Mike Mchale)...how long do we persist??

Reply #154899 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Hes Sick!.. He Shouldnt Be There.. Give Him A break

Reply #154900 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Chappell For 3 SUCK THAT smooth!

Reply #154901 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

How long is he going to remain sick (as he hits a timely 3)?

Reply #154902 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I really like the look of Hawkins... wonder where he's looking at playing next season.

Reply #154903 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Dudde.. Hes Been Injured (still is pretty much ).. Is Sick.. Give Him A Break.. He Isnt Doing That Bad.. Yes He Has 5 Fouls Ill Give U That.. Thats pretty average.. but he still has 9 points!

Reply #154904 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd also like a big man passer the caliber of Pero. He looks like Mr Potato head, but he can pass the pill.

Reply #154905 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

at least we don't have the caliber of a Joyce on our roster.... Thank god...

Reply #154906 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

TR...unlike our big man who are prone to throwing it away.

In massive trouble now down by 4 and Harvey has done nothing.

Reply #154907 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Watching on FOX, but how quite is the Dome... I swear I could hear the rats fart it's that quite.

Reply #154908 | Report this post

Years ago

quiet maybe?

Reply #154909 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

DARREN NG!!!!

Reply #154910 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Yeah Ninja. Dammmmmmm

Reply #154911 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I tend to cringe when Mottram, Ballinger and Cooper get the ball on the outside. It's a fair chance it's going to be a turnover.

Reply #154912 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

thanks ...

that was the word I was looking for :)

Reply #154913 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

I think the crowd a largely apprehensive about the whole team.

I like it when we go into the half court trap. We may give up the odd lay up, but at least it forces the players into some sort of defensive intensity.

We need a couple of steals and fast break buckets to get the crowd involved.

Reply #154914 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

We All New It Was COmin.. Live Scorebord Crashed.

Reply #154915 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

There we go.. Any one listening on live stream like i am.. "CHappell Is The One From The SIxers That Really Wants The Ball".. Im Pleased To Here That..

Reply #154918 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

COME ON! Up by 1.

Reply #154920 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm not worried, the Blaze weren't up by 10 coming down the stretch so it's not possible for them to win on the road.

Reply #154921 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

down by 3 with 16 seconds to go.. our ball.. BRING IT HOME SIXERS!!!

Reply #154922 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Game OVer!!.. Bloody SIxers!

Reply #154923 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Damn.

Reply #154924 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

F**KING HELL! Never have i wanted to smash something so badly

Reply #154925 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

bye bye smyth...i hope, time for a change

Reply #154927 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

WHY GIVE IT TO NG???????

We have Maher!

WTF

Reply #154928 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

oh yeah baby!

Reply #154930 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

No double down or hedge on Cameron there , that is a ludicrous defensive tactic when down by 1 with 30 seconds to go .
You cannot let strong crafty guy have his way with Mottram down there without any action . We needed to make him cough the ball up or at least have someone coming from weakside to contest the shot .

Last timeout was less than inspiring .

Giving up a 16 point lead with in 5 minutes , lame but it happens all too often .

I really rate Chappell but i am afraid he is underdone and we simply cannot afford an import to take half a season to get into shape as the season will be close to over by then.

The player combinations are far from on the money infact spend half the game trying to work out what the logic is .

Reply #154931 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I guess the spray that Joyce gave Crowe really worked....

Reply #154932 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I picked GC by 3. I need the attendance to be around 4650 and I win the daily double.....

Yay me.

Reply #154936 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll say it, and I'm prepared for the wraith of the mods, but that was one f*cking useless pathetic effort.

What are the excuses going to be this week, we were up by 16 f*cking points..... 16 points on our home court to a new franchise that has been in the league for a handful of games... They don't seem to have 'gelling' problems. F*cking piss weak!!!!

Why in the second half do our bigs go missing. It happened a lot last year with Horvath and it happened tonight with Ballinger. Do the players forget that we have a low post presence and just jack up shit from the outside.

When we get beaten by a team like the Gold Coast on our home court then that breaks the camels back.

If this shit called Adelaide 36ers basketball keeps up, watch that already small (tonight) crowd get smaller.

TIME TO GO SMYTH..... please..... things just aren't working anymore. His coaching method is shit, he doesn't get the response from his players, or they tune-out what he's saying, his practise methods obviously ain't work, and all I need to know is that he needs to go.

Thank christ the NBA is starting next week..

Reply #154940 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"down by 3 with 16 seconds to go.. our ball.. BRING IT HOME SIXERS!!!"

SO USE THE FREAKIN 16 SECONDS NOT 2 SECONDS!!!

DAMMIT

Reply #154941 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

damn straight it did...

Maher was on fire, why NOT give it to him? Honestly!

Reply #154942 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Crowe- 26,9,9 nice

Reply #154944 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

TR - and what exactly did Joyce do tonight to make you glad you didnt have him?

Reply #154949 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Anyone that watched the game on Foxtel can you tell me what was said in the Sixers time out with 16 left to go? I'm assuming there was a specific play drawn up which obviously wasn't used. What was going through Ng's mind I have no clue and I don't think he does at that moment either :)

Reply #154950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said before the season, 36ers will struggle to make playoffs. What will it take you 36ers fans to realise the team just aint that good.

I know, I know, Davidson out, Chapple has a cold, whatever...

Average team, another average performance.

Reply #154952 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Ryno - great prediction there well done - Peanut!

Reply #154960 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Smyth made it specifically so Maher OR NG could take it. He focused it going to Darren NG mainly, so he only did his duty. And he didn't got rejected...

Reply #154965 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

CALL OF THE NIGHT:

Joyce Jr steps onto the court.
A spectator calls out "The coach is sleeping with your Mum!"

Reply #154968 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, Chappell is a interesting one, like he wasnt that bad but also wasnt great and didnt dominate like we need him to but it was definate improvement from the last game i saw him play against the Dragons. I personally think he will come good, but given our record we sort of need him in full flight now.
I thought Hawkins was great, he did all the little things and slipped under the radar a bit, Crowe also was pretty good i thought. Maher and Ballinger the 36ers best, unfortunatly it looks like it will be very tough to get back to the play offs now.

Reply #154970 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for that 123abc. Obviously it was a rush of blood by Ng and we cant be too angry over one silly play. His game over all was quite good, just more experience would have helped. He will learn and get better from it.

Reply #154973 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Joyce played ok Statman, I just don't like that fact that he gets the majority of his minutes due to his mum banging the coach...

On any other NBL roster outside of GC would he even be playing those type of mins???? I don't think so. Would he even be on a NBL roster without a certain persons influence???

Credit is due, he hit a clutch three in the last 2 mins of the game.

Reply #154980 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"And he didn't got rejected..."

Correction:

"And he got rejected"

Reply #154985 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Was interesting to hear Poppa Joyce constantly praising his son but bagging Crowe from the bench.
He kept screaming at his assistant that Crowe wasnt doing what he was told.
He also spent much of the last quarter yelling out "Daniel! Be a Hero! Daniel! Be a Hero!"

Reply #154996 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I dont think Ng was expecting the ball in the dying seconds there. Looked shocked to get it in his hands.

I believe the crowd was 4301 which makes me about 70 off I think.

Reply #154998 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hasn't there been tension between Poppa Joyce and Crowe in the past????

Crowe was the difference tonight. After calling him 'average' at the half he owned the game in the 3rd and was clutch at the end of the 4th.

He's definitely got a place in this league. Anytime a PG get 26/9/9 he's worth keeping.

Reply #155006 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My understanding of the last 16 seconds was that Ng was to get the ball and take the 3 point shot. The opposition would have prepared to tackle Maher if he was left to take the final shot because Maher would have been the obvious choice. Instead, Maher was used as a decoy to give Ng an open run to the basket. What I couldn't work out is why everyone was crowded together instead of being spread out. If they had been spread out, Maher would have attracted all the attention of the opposition and Ng would have had a free run.

Reply #155015 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

skip , are you for real regarding the "be a hero stuff" from coach to son ?

Reply #155023 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

He sure is correct rotate - SOJ was supposed to be a hero.

Reply #155026 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

think they should have just inbounded the ball, set a screen for maher to run behind to receive the ball and let him go for the shot. We had plenty of time but just seemed to rush it, which is a shame but you cant blame ng for that he has not really had to hit that shot much. The game was lost when we let them get back in it, during the 2nd quarter. I think chappelle is turning the corner though which is good, and much needed i would like to see him go to the hoop more though.

Reply #155028 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

I don't understand how people think chappell will come good. He is basically a jump shooter who can't really shoot. He is too slow, can't beat his man off the dribble, can't create his own shot, can't finish at the rim and seems to have terrible hands. He offers absolutely nothing this team needs and should've been out the door weeks ago. I see no chance in hell that he will get any better and sure hope he isn't given the chance.

Reply #155030 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Everyweek we make an average player look good so SOJ would have been licking his chops "or maybe he gets coach to do that for him" at the thought of tonights game .

Reply #155031 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

The Minx - agree wholeheartedly .

He is both a poor fit and unfit shooter that can't shoot a lick at the minute .

30% from the floor and 53% from the line , sorry but that is garbage .

Reply #155033 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Phil's final play wasnt so terrible, the problem was where they started the lineup for the inbounds, should have been further away from the inbounds.

Especially since the play was copeland up front, maher 2nd (first to run) curl cut and pop out other side all the while looking to recieve. Ng to go second with a curl cut and lastly if that dosnt work copeland who was first in line to recieve inbounds.

Maher Curled and was well defended but his cut wasnt so good. Ng than went at the right time got the inbounds and past his man, but was quite obvious didnt know how close Hawkins was.

If the lineup was set in a better position Hawkins wouldnt have been so close behind Ng and we ould all be praising a well run play that may or may not have gone in.

Still shocking to blow THAT lead!

Reply #155035 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

yeah that play wouldve been great if we only had 2 seconds left. fact is we can get a much better look when we take 16 seconds and use a set play not from the inbounds.

Reply #155042 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

TR - point made - I probably get on the defensive of junior Joyce a bit too much. I just get annoyed when a lot of people seem to use him as an easy target for smart arsed one liners. I agree that he gets too many minutes at times (10 -15 would be more than ample in a purely backup role to Crowe IMO) at this stage in his career. Having his Dad as coach (and such a demanding coach on other players) really doesnt help the arguments of favouritism at this stage. As you said he hit a couple of vital shots last night so from where I sit he did his job - I just hope he can continue to improve and start to prove his knockers wrong.

Reply #155075 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

As for being on another roster...IMO probaby yes - but in a development role playing garbage minutes (he is only 19). He does have talent and really needs to develop physically as well as his game - maybe he should move in with Pero for some home cooking!

Reply #155076 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Coach Joyce and Crowe have certainly had issues. Joyce will ride Crowe from the sidelines like no other. It seems that Crowe likes to make spur of the moment decisions at times rather than running stricly to instructions. When it comes off its brillinat - but when it doesnt it can be ordinary (see his turnover stats to date) Joyce certaily lets him know when he stuffs up.
I asked Joyce about it after the game last week and got the impression its done to try and get the best out of Crowe. ie when he feels the coach is on his back and challenging his position on the court he plays his best as he has a point to prove rather than a coach who just panders to him and tells him he wonderful. A fine line I suppose between getting the best out of a players and destroying confidence but at this stage Id say it seems to be working.

Reply #155079 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's the difference I see at the moment, whilst I'm no Joyce supporter I like that fact that he drilled Crowe and got stuck into him. Crowe then iced the game as well as denying Maher the pill after that timeout.

If someone spoke to an Adelaide player (outside of Maher) they would first look like a deer in the headlights and then they would probably cry and go out on stress leave.

I'd really like to talk to Ballinger at the seasons end and ask certain questions after playing under both Joyce and Phil.

I have no issues with SOJ as a development player and getting his 5-7 minutes a night, but 22 mins is just too many for his current skill set. I'd like to see Tyson Demos get some of those minutes.

Reply #155082 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

and for anyone interested - games on channel 9 right now if you want to watch it again ;)

Reply #155084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not much to be said that hasn't already been said.

IMO, that was probably one of the most winnable games we'll get all season.

Crowd was 4,301. My guess was 4300ish. Patchy behind opposition bench, but fuller than usual behind the basket under the restaurant.

Reply #155088 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754