Movember
Years ago

Boti with Blinkers on

C'mon Boti you bag every opposition player and coach for any small idiosyncracy or character flaw yet you have said nothing of substance about whats going on.

Then again it does make you look rather stupid as you have been his biggest supporter.
The weekly/monthly/yearly rant about Smyth getting axed as the Boomer coach makes you a worse observer than Smyth is as a scout.
Talented local players have come and gone without barely a mention of how or why this has happened.

You never tell it like it is in your home state.

Maybe its time you did a little bit of real sports journalism.

Topic #13314 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

Movember - Another idiot posts a thread.
As Isaac and so many other people point out - WITHOUT Boty there would be no or minimal basketball news in the print media. I don't believe that Boty even reads this website so your comment will probably not be seen by him. I seem to recall reading articles where Boty HAS criticised Phil and the team in general. The reasons for losing a player or not recruiting another player are often confidential and not open to comment from the club. Before you start criticising you should find out the facts - possibly talk to Boty - he is always available to talk to people at games (and is actually a rather friendly person). Give it a go before you open your mouth or post threads on a website.

Reply #155458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. Boti occasionally reads this site.

2. I trade emails with him every now and then and always find his opinion interesting in print or by email. That said, just because he's the primary media in Adelaide, doesn't mean someone can't offer their criticism. You're free to disagree with it, but that argument about him doing a lot for the 36ers in terms of publicity is largely irrelevant. His job is to sell papers and report on what is of interest to the public, not fill the stands at the Dome (though, being a fan of the game, I think he helps do that regardless).

Reply #155463 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I've swapped emails with Boti a couple of times and met him once and, yes, he does seem like a reasonable bloke.

Full credit to him as well for providing good basketball coverage where otherwise there might be none.

That doesn't take away from the fact that he goes easy on Phil where anyone else, in the same situation, would have been slammed.

Reply #155465 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Maybe its about time someone else stepped up to the plate and showed how to do his job then? if so many people want to talk about how bad he does, maybe someone should try to do better

Reply #155468 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I remember a saying that goes something like "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Obviously Phil doesn't pay Boti to write his stuff in the Advertiser, but if Boti ripped him all the times he probably deserved to be ripped, then I don't think Boti would get much love from Phil in the form of quotes, inside info etc. Then his stories etc wouldn't have as much juice to them

Sometimes you have to sit on the fence, especially considering we're a one team town, although, as previously mentioned, Boti has got stuck into Phil many times before, especially late last season, as well as into the team overall, Farley etc.

Reply #155469 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Yeah....I wonder why Boti got into Farley?!?!??!?!

Reply #155476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sad fact is that nagy is the only choice we have. I would not read his stuff if another choice was available.

Reply #155494 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Boti has been there for so long that no new sports journo is going to try and step in. One day Boti will retire and believe it or not, someone will replace him.

Reply #155503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe not at The Advertiser but anyone could start writing on here - match report, opinion piece, weekly league recap. He might get info re the 36ers first, but he has no monopoly on NBL opinion. I'd happily read more about the league from Boti and anyone else. More the better I think.

Reply #155506 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good idea. Being a 'one paper town' with one basketball reporter and hoops sa getting a bit of coverage. I saw Dr.Bs name up in lights the other day,on Fox sport and Ch,10.

Reply #155511 | Report this post

Chicken legs  
Years ago

Boti does read this site. If you talk to him he will deny it; however he is always "up" with the very latest topics that are posted, and is quick to confirm or deny many threads.

Reply #155512 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Of course he reads this site.Lets face it,there is 200 times more info on the net than in any paper.

Reply #155517 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

i always thought boti posted under the name Isaac - I could be wrong though ;) and i noticed he stole the scott ninnis being assistant to sacked coaches last week - we read that here - now where does boti get much of his stories.

Reply #155534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, a lot of jokes are fairly obvious. Doesn't take a genius, for example, to notice the Dragons going 0-6 like the side last year, or Ninnis' string of misfortune, etc. From memory, where he's drawn less obvious inspiration from a post here or a message from a reader, he's provided credit for that.

Reply #155539 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I think he also gets a general 'mood' of the public via the posts on here. Have definitely seen some similarities between what is posted and what he writes. Good journalism I think to obtain information from as many sources as possible. Needs to be more forthright when it comes to Smyth and his coaching though. Definitely protects him.

Reply #155545 | Report this post

Uniden 91  
Years ago

Does that mena he got the Marino nepitism from his own experience of having either himself or his wife coaching one of his kids for the last 8 years. The only difference I see is that rather than buy a club, he had to move a club!

Reply #155553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's that got to do with the topic? He didn't go all that easy on Marino.

Reply #155558 | Report this post

Uniden 91  
Years ago

No he didn't.

But he has been doing the exact same thing for the last 6 years. Surely people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Just goes to show that Boti doesn't write what is factual. But rather what creates the best result for him.

Same as Southern now have had a bunch of articles regarding their players. Funny that it happened after he moved clubs so that he could show nepotism to his kids.

He doesn't write about what is factual. He always has an alteria motive.

Reply #155565 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

alteria ? are you saying his motives were born in africa .
What uniden do you live in ?

Reply #155566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What stories about Southern? He writes mostly about the NBL and WNBL while possibly giving the benefit of the doubt to coaches over clubs.

This topic is about Boti's reporting on Smyth, not your chance to drag your petty junior basketball gripes into things.

BTW, for next time (teach a man to fish and all that): "ulterior".

Reply #155567 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

Didn't Boti used to be on the pay roll at the sixers?

Reply #155604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To some extent, I think so. Not sure of the details though.

Reply #155605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754