Disco
Years ago

NBA Boxscore - what's BA mean?

Ok I know that the +/- denotes how the player goes when he is on the court. But what does the BA mean on the new nba.com scoreboard denote??? Have a look, I can't work it out for the life of me.

Topic #13356 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Block Attempt?

Reply #155884 | Report this post

Disco  
Years ago

I think everytime someone takes a shot there is an attempt to block, well unless you play for the Suns.

Reply #155885 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Maybe it means Bitching about?

Reply #155897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its how many times they have been blocked im pretty sure

Reply #155899 | Report this post

frog 75  
Years ago

yeh it denotes every time they get the absolute shot blocked outta them

Reply #155917 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

i love the new shot chart..it's funny watching gils shot chart putting up treys from nearly half way lol

Reply #155919 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blocks Against.

I think it may get introduced here in Australia as a stat next year?

Reply #155959 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

So under the current arrangement in the NBL if you get blocked and lose posession does that count as a turnover? Or a missed shot? What about if you get blocked but only a little bit and the shot still hits the ring and it looks you missed but deep down you know that it was the defender's fingertips that made the differece? So much grey.

Reply #155965 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If we ignored stats because of a bit of grey, you could feasibly kiss goodbye rebounds, steals, assists, turnovers, blocks, right?

The stat's being kept somewhere anyway - remember a few seasons back when Dusty Rychart was statistically the most blocked player in the league?

Reply #155969 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

This stat is displayed in live-WNBL stats too, but not shown in the after-game boxscore ..

Reply #155987 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bilo, blocks are easy to define - hard to call. There is no grey in your examples, any contact on the ball by the defender where the shot is missed means a block - the tough part is seeing the contact on the ball sometimes.

Reply #155988 | Report this post

Disco  
Years ago

Thanks Guys, That has cleared it up - BA equals Blocked Attempts. I can now move on.

Reply #156030 | Report this post

Disco  
Years ago

Wait a minute how come the BA colum doesn't add up to the BS colum???

Reply #156031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 4-5 boxscores I checked all match up OK.

Reply #156034 | Report this post

Disco  
Years ago

have a look at the rockets and jazz atm it doesn't match up, maybe thats because it is ingame???

Reply #156037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matches up for me - remember that one team's block count will match the blocks against for the other team.

So, if Houston have 8 and 4, Utah will have 4 and 8.

Reply #156044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But you are saying that BA is for Block Against, not for Blocks Attempted. It would seem absurd to keep a stat for blocks attempted, like the earlier post said, that "should" happen on every shot.

Reply #162436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's blocks against, as I said. Not blocks attempted.

Reply #162456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754