Anonymous
Years ago

Has Maher saved Phil?

With Maher out injured now, has he stopped the chances of what we have all been hoping would happen and pretty much saved Phil from getting the sack, def during the season but maybe even at season end?

With Maher out it is near impossible to see the already horrible performances being any better with out him, so wins will still not occur, but now Phil may just have a legitimate excuse....first time ever. Peoples thoughts?

Topic #13416 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would hope that Mal would see through that facade of Phils.

After all, its the team that Phil picked so the fact that Brett has been overplayed which has lead to the injury is a reflection on the Coaches anyway.

Reply #156389 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I still cant see Phil getting the flick during the season. Whatever the arguments for and against it I just cant see Mal unloading him mid season. End of year however is a completely different story!

Reply #156395 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

I reckon without our relieance on Maher - we might actually win a few more games if Phil can get his rotations correct .....

Besides, if Mal hasn't fired Phil yet - can't see it happening till the end of the season.

Reply #156396 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

#156389, Brett being overplayed lead to his injury? Please.

What would you be saying if he wasn't being played as much? We keep losing because Brett isn't getting enough minutes?

Reply #156398 | Report this post

uncle Mal  
Years ago

Unless a top calibre NBA star comes to Adelaide and in the style of Hoosiers says he will only play for Phil I think you will find Phil in line at centrelink for next season. I think however that MIX 102.3 might be looking for a new morning show host?

Reply #156401 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

wouldnt be the first time

Reply #156445 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree, this injury to Maher has saved Phil's job for the year. It is really a shame for him to keep his job because of this. Get ready for a long year Sixer fans!

Reply #156463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not many replacement choices either. Damien Ryan is about the only decent option. Steve Leven would be a gamble. Even if you had a SG import, it's not as though there are a tonne of Australian SFs ready to play.

Reply #156464 | Report this post

ostich 67  
Years ago

Hear from a very reliable source that Ian Stacker is a cert for next season.

Reply #156489 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I believe Price played ball back in the 80's very well, Why don't we sign him

Reply #156501 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've posted this in another thread but is also applicable here. The Sixers played their best quarter in the last quarter against NZ holding them to only 11 points with Maher out for most of that quarter. I do not see this injury as an excuse at all to lose games. They need to keep playing the way they did on Saturday. Also, I see no reason to relate Maher's injury with saving Phil. The win on Saturday night was a combination of efforts from both the team and the coach.

Reply #156535 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Could they put Maher on Injury waivers and bring in a Damien Ryan for the equivalent of mahers wage?? has he signed anywhere yet??
I guess then they could release chappell and keep Ryan when Maher returms and go with a smaller line up with 3 guards, and possibly bring in a young SF to have a crack for like Dench is some one like Stefan Blacynski still available??? or isnt Marquin Chandler the same points value as dench??
a team of something like(once Maher returns)
PG Maher/Davidson/Sutton
SG Ryan/Ng
SF Chandler/Copeland
PF Ballinger
C Mottram/Cooper
Would that be better than what we have now???

Reply #156537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Think Ryan is signed and not sure that Smyth would be eager to use him.

Reply #156540 | Report this post

dododo  
Years ago

Maybe we can get Oscar back after his game here could use a guy his size who cant play.Or is his loss of form Smyths fault as well Issac

Reply #156895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, why would I suggest that it was? Ryan is considered to be a bit of a me-first player and wouldn't really work with Smyth's team-first preference which is why I made that comment.

Reply #156901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754