ShaneD
Years ago

Maher's shove on Jones?

Sorry if someone has already brought this up.

During the game Sat. night, there was an altercation between Maher and Jones, during which Maher (uncharacteristically) gave Jones a standing double-handed shove and a fight could very easily have errupted. Now, this of course means Jones did something to Maher, but I did not see that bit. The ref's didn't call anything from it, and not many people seemingly saw it...

Anyone have a run-down of this?!

ShaneD

Topic #13421 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher tends to be the type to only react if there's something going on (as you implied). I think that the guards were playing each other a bit harder than usual to throw them off their game. Must have got to the point where Maher thought it was a bit too much?

Maher's stat line was fairly standard for himself (19/5/5) but taking Penney out of the game and getting it done despite close attention and with few easy buckets just shows his ability.

Reply #156433 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Jones strikes me as a bit of a dirty player. Was sticking legs out all over the place to stop the opposition getting past him. I did see him get called for it once, but he seemed to be getting away with plenty.

Reply #156435 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

This happened right in front of me. I'm pretty sure a double foul was called on Maher and Jones - Maher has 1 foul listed in the box score and I can't remember him fouling on another occasion.

I think it was just a case of Jones playing Maher very tightly off the ball and holding etc J Smith style (hey noone could stop him legally) and Maher just decided to 'free' himself. It was a little uncharateristic but if someone is holding you then you have to do something and Maher was particularly fired up for this game I thought.

Reply #156440 | Report this post

last dance  
Years ago

Jones fouled out of the game also

Reply #156444 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

maher was on the ground after driving the lane and jones was above him and i saw him drop his knee. then brett pushed him away while on the ground and jones didnt move so he got up and shoved him then it was all in for about 2 second. davidson first in there.

Henare jones and penney were all holding brett by any means possible singlet arms etc. i couldnt believe the treatment he was getting without getting a call. they obviously thought roughing him up would put him off his game. Unfortunately it did as thats when his calf went wrestling with henare at half court.

Rickert is an absolute tool. his chest pumping was rediculous and then to scream at the top of his lungs while playing D was also funny when there was clearly no one near him. Im surprised they left him on the bench for so long though.

Reply #156448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the hell what Rickert pumping his chest like a gorilla? What was even stranger was when right after he had finsished having his little tandrum he gave all the Sixers players involved (Maher etc.) a friendly pat on the back. Now thats what you call a mood swing? Anyone know what that was all about?

Reply #156476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is what you call a 'loose cannon'

Reply #156482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we restricted rickert all night, but he did manage 16 rebounds

Reply #156483 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Now we know a good reason why Garnett "sucker punched" him!

Reply #156486 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

he just likes to get into it and fires himself up to keep up his intensity.
there are a few players on the sixers roster who could do with a transplant in that department. It seems to work as far as his rebounding goes!!

Reply #156490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know whether 19/5/5 is standard isaac especially considering he didnt play the last 8mins.

Reply #156493 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Standard in that Maher often gets 20-25/5/5 - gets assists and rebounds well for his position/size. Was meant as a compliment.

Rickert fires up - just has a dorky way of doing it. When he went around patting the 36ers, I think he apologising ("no offense meant" type thing) for bumping them at some stage. Not a big deal IMO.

Apparently the Maher-Jones flare-up was as a result of Jones hitting Maher in the back. That's the word second-hand from Mahersy anyway.

Reply #156510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But what was it that promoted the Rickert chest pumping?

Reply #156530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as i said above and having seen 5 of Rickerts games, i think he just likes to get into it and fires himself up to keep up his intensity.
there are a few players on the sixers roster who could do with a transplant in that department. It seems to work as far as Rickert's rebounding goes!!
To talk to Rick he is a pretty normal guy.

Reply #156539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably made a tough basket or something. Tends to get excited whether it's him or someone else on his team too.

But yes, I think you can see why KG might've punched him in the face!

Reply #156541 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Ricketts mission was to be such a complete huge tool so as to distract the referees from releasing that Lemanis's sole defensive strategy was to have Brett beaten up.

As a true Goorjian disciple, Lemanis has Brett pummeled at every opportunity.

Reply #156546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pummel Brett...and I'll pummel you.

Reply #156715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I coul'd have sworn Rickert was upset about something when we was pumping his chest.

Reply #156716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754