Anonymous
Years ago

36ers should try Steve Leven

The 36ers should look into Steve Leven, if available why not sign him for a month long contract, most people would be very surprised by how actually good he is. He is young, can handle the ball and can shoot, Lets try something different Phil & Mal.

Topic #13429 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not Smyth's style IMO but it'd be a gamble to consider. Is he going to bring much more than Ng though?

Reply #156549 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

would be better and more efficient than copeland IMO and is tall enough (198cm) to play SF even though its not his natural position it's what we desperately need.

I'd be behind a Copeland-Leven swap.

Reply #156551 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

It wouldn't be that hard to bring much more than Ng. Darren has the occasional good game but if his shot isn't dropping, which seems to be quite often, he offers nothing else. I thought it was pretty clear from when he first started with the sixers he was never going to be a player of starting quality in this league. He is still too weak, gets pushed around too easily, is too much of a defensive liability and his ball handling is very suspect at NBL level. Considering he is probably too small to play the two guard in this league, his lack of ball handling skills is probably his biggest weakness. He would be great as a 9-10th man but the fact we are still persisting with him when he really doesn't have that much potential shows that this club has invested in the wrong young talent in this state. I feel we should have let him go to singapore in the off-season.

As far as Leven goes, would love to see it happen but very much doubt it will happen. It would be very uncharacteristic of Smyth and considering they don't have the guts to sack Chappell when everyone can see he is not what we need, I can't see them taking the punt on a relatively unknown quantity. It would be nice though for once if the club could take a chance and maybe unearth some talent.

Reply #156554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HEADCASE! So much so that at last years blitz, while standing in line with Vlahov, I mentioned how massive Levins hops were. He pretty much said he has talent but is a LOT of effort.

Reply #156555 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I feel we should have let him go to singapore in the off-season." -The Minx

Are u being racist or was he actually considering the slingers?

Coz if ur being racist then Screw You!!!

...but if u werent then i'm very sorry. lol

Reply #156562 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

Nah I wasn't, I read somewhere (I think one of Isaac's posts on Ozhoops) that Singapore were giving us some competition for his signature. I think it meant his $ were increased to get him to stay.

Reply #156566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, very tight decision between Singapore and Adelaide AFAIK.

Reply #156568 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I say sign him up, he maybe a head case but wasn't Liam Rush and look how he turned out.

Hell, he'd bring some athleticism to the team, and every team needs a mad dog... We have very little attitude in this squad at the moment, so some would be good.

Ng is a guy I'd like to play about 5 mins a game. Comes in towards the end of the quarter and fires some threes and some quick baskets.

Maybe on an experienced squad like Adelaide, Leven could be more easily controlled, but on the other hand there is no one on the squad with the balls that would knock his head off if he &#^ked up..

Reply #156570 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Davidson would teach him a lesson if he played up.
IF he has learnt from his stuff up at Perth then he could be worth a punt.
Give him a 4-6 week contract and see what he can do.
It is not like he would disrupt an awesome season!! ;)

Considering Maher's injuries the last couple of years they really should be thinking about the future post Maher and I can't see a replacement on the roster.

Does anyone else see them signing Ingles next year and then him getting drafted and going to USA or Europe???? :(

Reply #156576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't remember any suggestions that Rush was trouble?

Reply #156578 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Create some buzz and bring him in . Who cares if the stairway is windy a bit loose and is slightly cracked . As long as you get to the top then you can dance all night .

May actually bring excitement and unpredictability to a lethargic group .

I reckon Phil with his relaxed style would not give him much to rebel against and Maher and Davidson would have his respect .

Definitely worth a look and heck i would probably go to watch him play . The Marketing of the team is nice and safe but with the way the league is situated that will not produce anything but mediocre attendance and support .

Jump outside the square and use multiple and sometimes unconventional methods to bring fans to the games , if that means bringing in a fresh fruitcake mid year then goodo .

Reply #156582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Give him a 4-6 week contract and see what he can do."

Give him more time than that.. 4-6 weeks is only the gelling period.. give him more time to show what he can do

Reply #156584 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm probably wrong but wasn't there a issue or two with Rush and the Wildcats. Nothing too serious, just some head issues.

Reply #156587 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Re Rush, if I recall correctly, his agent was the main issue.

Basically the Cats wanted him for the minimum, his agent thought he was worth more (no one else did) so he "held out" and starred in the WA state league before agreeing to terms for the season after. Then fled PErth for more opportunities with the Razorbacks.

FWIW, I don't think Leven's upside is worth the drama.

Reply #156603 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Where Is Steve Leven from? Is he currently playing at the AIS?

Reply #156645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, don't think he went to the AIS. Played at college level. Got picked up by the Cats and played against Adelaide in pre-season last year. Then there were a few incidents that pissed off the coach and they dumped him. I think he's playing in a lower-division European league right now.

Reply #156664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754