Anonymous
Years ago

Get bigger crowds to Lightning games??

I went to the Lightning game on the weekend, to take my daughter along. I am not a fan of basketball but must admit the game was great. Only disappointing thing was the size of the crowd, I was expecting bigger. The atmosphere was ok but with more people would have been better. I read that there were around 900 there, other games interstate drew bigger crowds yet we got to see the top 2 teams battle it out with lots of great players on display. For me it was pretty good value, ticket price was ok, food and drink abit expensive (to be expected)but not bad and great entertainment. I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Is that a normal crowd and if so why don't more people go?

2. How can it be fixed?

Topic #13443 | Report this topic

gh  
Years ago

Make the rings lower so they can dunk.

That would make it interesting

Reply #156757 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol good idea but i think changing the colour of their jerseys would be a better start.

Reply #156790 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Body suits I reckon

Reply #156799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe a crowd of 900 would be on the slightly larger scale of what they have been getting recently.

I also believe some people don't go to the games because of the recent coaching situation - how many I don't know though. I know me and a couple of mates who went occassionally previously (mainly when it was back at Wayville) now will not go at all due to the recent events (which don't need to be discussed again/further here).

It's a pity too, because I do think they are good games and enjoyed going.

Reply #156809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More to the point would be making the rings lower for the 36ers because the girls are successful and our women world champions.
Going to a lightning game you are watching class basketball even if the management cant claim the same status.

Reply #156816 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

I would much prefer to go to a wnbl match than a nbl match. the women just play good basketball, without all the show pony antics and tantrums that we see in the men's games.

the wnba attract large crowds, maybe it's more to do with promotion.
we hear promotions for the 36ers, but none for the lightning.

Reply #156864 | Report this post

Perth Revisited  
Years ago

The lightning play well and Vicki's moving offence will keep the crowd happy
Very little entertainment other than the game however
Got to lose the kids shooting at half time - so 1975
Time to promote the games and get the kids along
They should adopt a school a week or even an abl club.
Must have been 8 international players there and not a peep in the paper

Reply #156869 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

exactly. why the discrimination re women's sport?
until they get the same media exposure as men's sport,
we won't get the same attendance.

Reply #156929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Until they get the same public interest (and attendance) they won't get the same media exposure. The media isn't free advertising. It covers what's of interest to the public.

Reply #156933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the first time this season I have taken up season tickets with the team. I must admit that I was leaving the game the other day and said to someone how much happier I am with my lightning tix compared to if I had sixers tix. Its good value for money, its a fantastic lineup and regardless of the off court antics the team are wonderful to watch. Thats entertainment.

Reply #156984 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

Isaac,bit of a vicious circle don't you think?
the game needs more media exposure to get the attendances up, how else can the game be promoted without media exposure?

Reply #157156 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of course it's a vicious circle/chicken-egg problem. But it's still not the media's job to boost their crowds.

How else do they promote the game? Err, advertising and PR like almost everyone else?

Reply #157162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men control the media, sports empires, commerce etc. and see women's sports as bikini and boob fests to tickle their fancies. It is inconceiveable to think they could ever see women's sport as having a legitimate place.
While that's at least understandable , men protecting their fragile ego's, what isn't as clear is why women don't support their own sports and campaign for more exposure.
The argument has never been comparing male and female sport, ie: male basketballers are superior to female basketballers, but why there is so small an audience for womens sport. The answer lies in the conditioning both men women have been exposed to that leads to a passive acceptance of sexism in sport.
Women it seems can appreciate the physical intensity of mens sport, skill and grudgingly tolerate the violence but men are seemingly unable to appreciate the skill and talent of women playing the same game because a lot of men can't accept that one, women can play anything much well and two, that despite muscle mass deficits , women effort is their equal.
Its a one sided argument where men expect womens support for their endeavour but refuse to offer the same support in turn.

Reply #157169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #157169

Or maybe womens sport just isn't as entertaining?

Reply #157177 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems dunking is the main attraction for spectators.

Reply #157206 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

isaac, err, advertising and PR? don't you need the media for that? how else is it done? (mobile phone)

Reply #157251 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Glen is a girl

Reply #157255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which means double your intellect, Its ok #255 we'll wait till you look that up .

Reply #157259 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

who's we? got Glen in ur purse?

Reply #157266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glen, you pay for it? Doesn't matter if it's male or female sport if you're willing to pay to advertise it.

Reply #157318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ill start going to lighting games when angela gets the court time she deserves. i.e. none. i dont think that family realises the damage they have done to the club, just for their daughter to get some court time. Every member of support staff has quit, and for good reason. My support is also gone. This is sporting politics at its worst, and no one wants to be a part of that. i feel for the other players that have worked so hard, and deserve court time, like mahoney.

Reply #157576 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Seems the big crowd at the last home game agrees with you. Grow up dickhead

Reply #157581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754