ANON
Years ago

Link Lightning - What's in a name?

Getting away from the issue of the coach, players etc, have noticed an interesting fact that has arisen out of the private ownership.
The Lightning no longer have Adelaide as part of there name. On the WNBL website they are still shown as Adelaide BUT NOT on the Lightning website. Have spoken to the previous court announcer who informed me that his instructions were to call them simply the Link Lightning and not use Adelaide as part of the name. Noticed at the last home game that the new announcer was also calling them the Link Lightning. Are the Lightning now losing their identity as an Adelaide team. Maybe this is only a marketing tool but surely the team has always been the Adelaide Lightning and IMO the name should remain. Hate to get on the anti Vince Marino bandwagon but is this arrogance on his part to just have his company name used in the team title. Have also noticed that the team have a lot of sponsors but the majority are from (or appear to be from) the Whyalla/Port Pirie area. Is this a hint that he might move the team away from Adelaide???

Topic #13508 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

"LINK PIRIE LIGHTNING" "LINK WHYALLA LIGHTNING"?!?!?

Reply #157741 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Firstly you come on here and slag off Angela, and that didn't work and now you are trying to bad mouth the owner, again. Move on ANON. It is getting boring. He paid for the team, he can do what he wants.

Reply #157744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's a legitimate point of discussion, surely? The logo no longer includes "Adelaide", nor the uniforms (at least not prominently).

Your response to the topic can stand as "his team, can call it whatever he wants" if you'd like.

I would've gone with Adelaide Link Lightning, but who knows, there's more of a regional focus recently that could've been the reason for the change.

Reply #157746 | Report this post

Shorty  
Years ago

I'd be interested to find out how successful that kind of 'name' advertising has been in the past.

I guess it worked pretty well for the Fellas Gift store. They signed the deal in 05 for a year, and because it was so bizarre, it got noticed a lot more. Then after a year, they dropped the deal, probably because they'd gotten all they wanted from it? A years worth of bizarre, noticeable advertising?

But with Link, I'm not sure how well it would work. I mean, the Fellas Gifts was something fans can go 'Oh yeah that sounds like an interesting store, I'll go check it out.' whereas with Link Engineering, just not sure how relevant it is to the target audience?

Reply #157750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless they moved north...?

Reply #157752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#508 but is this arrogance on his part to just have his company name used in the team title.

Anon corporate dollars therefore business names are used regularly in team / group names. Don't see an issue with that.

Could your issue be more to do with the owner?

Reply #157753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nothing wrong with "link" in the name, just at the removal of "adelaide".

Reply #157754 | Report this post

Mookie Blaylock  
Years ago

They are playing games in Mt Gambier this year, maybe has to do with that, making it more of a whole SA focus rather than on the City of Adelaide. Also gives better coverage for the naming rights sponsor.

Reply #157758 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I would suggest he uses his business name so he can write off some of his costs through his other business.

Reply #157759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could do that while retaining "Adelaide" in the name, right? Still, smart tax write-off.

Reply #157763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The move is in relation to the club trying to become South Australia's, not Adelaide's.
As with any club, the title has incorporated the major sponsor. Now I am not on the pro-Vince bandwagon, but this is the case.
Personally I feel the coaching issue was handled poorly, but the name is purely an attempt to try and embrace the rest of the state in the Lightning, rather than alienate regional SA with them remaining as Adelaide's team.
It is intended to fit in with their idea of taking some games to the country, which I believe remains a focus after this season, with Whyalla sure to get a gig.
I can't imagine Vince taking the team from Adelaide, as you have to think numbers.
Sorry people, but I don't think we can hang this one on Vince as selfish.

Reply #157767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would regional SA be alienated by them being named Adelaide?

I believe Perth Lynx play games in regional WA (Gero?) without removing their name?

Reply #157782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but is Perth owned by someone who lives and loves the country?? I would say not.

Reply #157795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Regional strategy could be viable. In Adelaide, they get 900ish and have more competition. Say they played a couple of games each in Port Lincoln, Mount Gambier, Whyalla, etc could they get reasonable attention? If no other state-level teams did that, they could be the big ticket in town on those nights.

Reply #157797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, you didn't answer the question.

Why would regional SA be alienated?

Reply #157805 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Adelaide needed to be dropped, why not call it "South Australia Link Lightning"? Let it be known wherever they play that the team belongs to South Australia. This would cover both Adelaide and all regional areas in South Australia.

Reply #157841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did the name 'Lightning' come from originally. I think it's abit lame.

I agree with the idea that he seems to be trying to make it a more regional focused side. Adelaide will remain home becasue that is where the numbers are.

As for corporate names we have Camary Crows (not offical but you hear it alot), AMMI Stadium, Telstra Dome and the lsit goes on. Money talks.

Reply #157848 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

157767 - is that you Carla??????????

Reply #157851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The team name comes from Colonel William Light.

SA Link Lightning or Southern Link Lightning could work if there was a distinct shift to more regional games.

At least "Link" works a whole lot better than "Fellas" did.

Reply #157853 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

From a business point of view maybe Vince wants Link to be a national company with no boundaries to just SA? Maybe it already is, I don't know.
In regards to the original question of why the majority of sponsors are from Whyalla, that would be purely Vince's influence. He is a very good business man and would deal with some big companies in Whyalla who would give support to the Lightning because of Vince, so bringing him on as owner has obviously helped in sponsorship dollars.
This is also probably why we have such a stacked team this year!

Reply #157857 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

"LINK PIRIE LIGHTNING"

I like the sound of that!!!!!

What will they be doing in late Feb, will look good in Panther uniforms for the "Blitz"

Reply #158061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #158066 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754