Isaac
Years ago

Is Cooper a keeper?

David Cooper arrived in Adelaide via the Bullets, Giants and Taipans.

In 2004/05, he's averaging career-best figures in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals, and even beyond the raw statistics, he's been a vital contributor in recent Sixers wins, playing anywhere between 14 and 38 minutes per game.

Is he a keeper for the Sixers? Is he a starting centre in 2005/06?

What do you think?

Topic #1354 | Report this topic

mark  
Years ago

Absolutely. I think he is the perfect big man for our system. He fills up the middle on defense, is a good shotblocker, doesn't need to have touches on offense to be effective and likes to throw it down when he gets it down low. I'd definately want him in a 6ers uniform for 05/06 and i think he'll be starting by then if not sooner.

Reply #15573 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yep, I think he will be the ideal replacement for Reesy...and I think if you look at minutes being allocated even now..Phil is working on that premise (and good to see Phil is still building for the future when his future is far from certain right now)

Considering the chat about Jacob possibly going to Europe, and seemings he only took a 1 year contract, could Oscar then step up and play a 3 spot as a starter???

Think about next years starting 5 potential....Maher, Farley, Forman (Holmes), Rychart and Cooper.

Not a bad starting quintet.

Reply #15580 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

he is not a rees replacement for next year.he is a small body playing in a big mans spot.we need a big body in there and cooper is not the awnser.he is a good back up though for rees.

Reply #15581 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What do you mean small? Was Manute Bol small then?

Coops is doing a great job and also showed that he can knock a mid range jumper.

He is getting people to change shots (Bradtke) and is hustling up and down the floor.

Not much more can be asked of him.

He looks a completley different player to his previous NBL teams.

Reply #15590 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Youve been eating too many cheeseburgers Cheezeburger because Coops is definately a keeper.

He may not be Mark Bradtke Big but he works his ass off and is getting great numbers.

If he could work on his low post he would be a poor mans David Stiff

Reply #15593 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Definately a keeper.

But I don't see him as a starting centre, not in an ideal situation anyway. The perfect backup.

I think we should try and get Derek Moore back again. I think he'd be a great fit for us in the starting role.

Reply #15596 | Report this post

bada bing  
Years ago

keep him, don't start him. All the things mentioned are things that a role playing big man should do. But put him in the low block against the bigger centres in the league and he will struggle. He shouldn't be considered more than a 15-25 minute a game guy. Neither should Derek Moore.

Reply #15598 | Report this post

warthog  
Years ago

on balance i think he has been really good

he obviously struggles a bit offensively - as long as he stays within his limitations i think he can be a very effective player for us

i would keep him - i like him more as a backup playing 20-25 minutes than a starter

Reply #15601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have a question has forman ever played as a big man

Reply #15670 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

you saw bradke school him.imagine what a 120kg import taking him on will do to him?he will always only be a back up player.

Reply #15672 | Report this post

hhhrrrnnn  
Years ago

i am hesitant in keeping cooper. hes a big bloke but he doesnt really board that well with the exception of that high boarding game he had a couple weeks back.

we need a defensive stalwart and a rebounding machine.

we dont need a low post scorer coz thats no our game.

but i dont think cooper is the defensive, rebounding big men we need.

Reply #15867 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What is up with Derek Moore? Everyone rates him so highly, he plays for every club for only a few games, but never seems to stick anywhere for very long.

Reply #16079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I read today that apparently Derek Moore is going back to play in Europe.

Reply #16089 | Report this post

ahem!  
Years ago

derek moore is probably one of those players who would be a good fit for many teams if someone isn't available as they go for a bigger name they keep him on the back burner and then he misses out. he has seemingly stepped into many teams around the league and performed well.

just one of those awkward 'inbetween' players in between first pick and not at all and the points structure wouldn't help his cause with some clubs.

Reply #16093 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

derek moore is a poor mans cooper.we dont need him.

Reply #16111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754