cheezeburger
Years ago

The importance of the Centre

i think the centre position on court is the most important.because they control the key way,keep the oppostion big man out,they rebound on the defensive end to create a offensive attack,they take all the hits in the paint,they cover the court baseline to baseline,set picks to get guards open,block.challenge it you point guards out there!

Topic #1356 | Report this topic

Take Luck  
Years ago

Talk ya self up some more cheezy. i need to start seeing some court burns on those knees. if ya scrap some more, ya have my vote!

Reply #15582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some centres are the importance. The running quick centres especially. They burst out after a rebound get on the occasional fast break. Are better on splitline d. Some others though only pick up a few points and grab a few boards can't help the running game because they are to slow and unfit

Reply #15634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cmon point guards are the most important. A good point guard runs the team sets up specific plays for people to score, plays hard full court d and makes big plays for people or himself in crucial stages.

Reply #15638 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

I'd say a good point guard and centre are the first two positions a club should fill.

Follow by a swingman than a 4 man.

Reply #15641 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

So, the shooting guard is the least important?

Reply #15645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why do the 36ers waste import spots on a 2 and 4 man?

Reply #15649 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Good point. Sixers have won all of their championships without a dominant centre. Don't think any player is more or less important as a general rule..

Reply #15651 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Doctor, to say the Sixers have won championships without a dominant centre is slightly off base.

Reesy is a dominant centre. Perhaps not on the scoresheet or in filling lanes, but dominant nonetheless. Ask anyone who plays against him at national league - he fills up the keyway big time and is very underrated.

Reply #16078 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

most under rated in the league

Reply #16112 | Report this post

Lets see,

Centres don't get the ball down the floor,
they recieve more than they assist and they usually guard the opositions slowest player.

Think about it the guards on your team would guard the oponents best penetrator, if they aren't up to the task there probably won't be many def boards for you anyway.

A good four man will do everything a five man does just faster!

You make some good points but,

The MOST important position on the floor is the spot 1-5 were your oponents are the weakest.
ie. out rebound a lazy centre or steal the ball of a weaker point guard.

Cheezeburger if you run the floor hard all game then as a five may you will be a huge asset to your team and perhaps even the most important player, some games.

Be sure though that you don't underestimate the importance of the role your guards play. They read the tempo of the game and decide when to run and who to get the ball to. I doubt they underestimate your importance in the team.

Just remember next time your crashing the offensive boards

One of your team mates is getting backcourt.

If you miss the rebound so what!!
If the guard misses backcourt
YOU GIVE UP A TRANSITION BASKET!

Basketball is a team sport geared around big men doing most of the rebounding /scoring. A good guard will understand the role each team mate plays.
The fact you can't see past your own position on the floor goes a long way in helping me explain why the centre, in my opinion isn't the most important player.

hope you reply

Reply #16116 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

cbf replying.i made my point.u made yourse.mines correct yours isnt.

Reply #19171 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

yes cheezeburger,and the point guards wouldnt be important would they? u say they set screens...the point guard is the one who has to set his man up, and make the screen actually work...its not like centres are the only person on the court who are allowed to set a screen...and i believe guards and forwards block shots too.

u may have made ur point, but its not one of your best. if u want to win a game in the dying seconds, who would u give the ball to? rees or maher? think about it...and your rebounding point, i believe maher gets around 6 boards a game, a fair effort for someone who isnt 'controlling the paint' as u put it.

Reply #19198 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

nah if u want to win the game in the dying seconds what shot is safer.the big man shooting a j from the block or even closer or a 3 pointer.

Reply #19230 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

because u see so many game winners from big guys down in the block as well dont you?

Reply #19235 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

u didnt answer my question burger...maher or rees?? and u had nothing to say to anything else i said so looks like i won the battle of 'the centre is the most important player'.

Reply #19238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG's are the general, the quarter back of the team but ya need a dominant big man to win games

Reply #19241 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

is that so? what would happen if we didnt have brett maher? seriously...

Reply #19243 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

feather did you understand the heading of the thread-The IMPORTANCE of the centre.im just stating the facts of what the centre does and what no ones else sees but the centre cause no player today wants to be a centre.

Reply #19244 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

what would happen if u didnt have paul rees setting the screens to get maher open?????

Reply #19245 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

yes...as already mentioned, the point guards would have to set up his man to make the screen actually work...anyway can set a screen!

im sure there are plenty of point guards out there who would love to be taller so they could go to work inside.

"im just stating the facts of what the centre does and what no ones else sees but the centre"...i think everyone knows what a centre does. its not that complicated

Reply #19248 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

its not that complicated.PO.u must be a stuck pg or sg if u made that comment.

Reply #19251 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

what is so complicated then? tell me what they do that only centres know?

Reply #19254 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

reading the ball coming off the rim, defending other big men,shot blocking,reading the game a step ahead,boxing out etc....

Reply #19255 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

so the point of this thread was...? just to tell people what centres do?

Reply #19256 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah because there the most under rated people in the game.and there a dying breed.

Reply #19257 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

oh please. u cant be serious.

Reply #19258 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i am seriuos.ask any centre.or let me guess or your mates are hero sg's n dunkers,so u cant.

Reply #19259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't agree with that -- there are loads of decent centres around in the NBA and NBL, plus a lot of newcomers.

Have a look at somewhere like NBADraft.net -- a good number of young centres coming through.

Reply #19260 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

name the 'LOADS' of centres apart from okafor.

Reply #19261 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

cause u cant agree with that. a dying breed...good call...not

Reply #19262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shaq, Ilgauskas, Amare, Dirk, Wallace, Miller, Yao, Mohammed, Okur, Brezec, etc.

In the NBL, Bradtke, Burgess, Calvary, Burston, Pepper, etc.

Reply #19263 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

wait i second issac u said theres alot of good centres coming though from the 2004 draft?where are they apart from okafor.

Reply #19264 | Report this post

thankyou  
Years ago

yes isaac, we are all aware. maybe this cheezeburger person is the only one that doesnt

Reply #19265 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yes ok im being attack by a bunch of point guards n shooting guards.

Reply #19266 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

well ur argument wasnt that great...

Reply #19267 | Report this post

scrub  
Years ago

perhaps a bunch of shooting guards and point guards are baing attcaked by a cantre?

Reply #19268 | Report this post

scrub  
Years ago

or if i could spell... "being and centre"

Reply #19269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

burger -- the 2005 list, at nbadraft.net -- did you even look at the site??

Taft, 6'10" PF/C
Andriuskevicius, 7'3" C
Bogut, 7' C
Petro, 7' C

Plus a number of PFs that could play C if required.

They're not a dying breed. Near-seven foot guys with some level of coordination have never been all that common.

Reply #19272 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This is the dumbest thread in a while.

I think left handed small forwards with great hook shots and red hair are the most important players on a team.

Reply #19274 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I think someone has missed the point of the team in "team game". Everyone plays their part.

Reply #19278 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well said pegs - a good centre is just as important as a PG or SG - all five (and the subs) have to play together as a team. To say that any position is more important than another is crap

A good enough player will always stand out no matter what posi they play. Look at Jerry West, MJ and Kareem for example - 3 markedly different players but all invaluable to their team

Reply #19281 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

that has been my point all along..the team game, hence, the guards needing to set thier man up to use the screen. cheezeburger is just a little messed up at the moment. im sure we will all forgive him just this once

Reply #19282 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

leave my thread in peace.

Reply #19306 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

cant wait for ur next one haha

Reply #19307 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

dont worry ill be back

Reply #19309 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

yes thats what im worried about..

Reply #19310 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

burger, did you see last friday night's sixers game??? multiple times in the 4th quarter, rees went to set a screen for maher, only to be waved away, and then maher took the chump to school. good guards don't need screens, and if they do need one, im sure a well-built SF could get the job done.

Reply #19367 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

get this.....yeah u to isaac
http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Catching_Up_With_Moses_Malone_012005.html

moses malone talkimg about centres today............

MM: No one wants to take the banging anymore  they don't want that hard work. You got young kids that watch high school kids, the high schoolers watch the college kids, and they watch the pros. Everyone imitates what they see, and there just aren't many guys who want to do the work down there. A center has to do it all. He has to worry about the other center, the forwards, and the guards. The other positions can worry about just their man, but the center has to do all the dirty work.

Reply #19680 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

thanks moses for backing me up

Reply #19681 | Report this post

Fellow Big man  
Years ago

all the PG's and SG's were are you now. Well said moses. I think Moses Malone Knows more about the game of bball than any of us and he said it right there. so its end of convisation. Centers do the dirty work its not attractive ball to the average kid. It takes a great basketball mind to honor the centers game, obviously these guards dont know ball

Reply #20893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centres do the hard work carrying their big heads up and down the floor, usuall behind the play.

Reply #20894 | Report this post

Fellow Big man  
Years ago

All guard points come from fast breaks. Where does that start? with big man getting a elbow too the teeth but still being able to pull the board and getting a massive outlet pass. Big men have to lugg there 100 kilo plus frames from baseline to baseline whilst guards run from three point line to point line.

Reply #20895 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

isaac, have a poll going-what positions do you play?.guarentee you 80 percent will be guards.theres many examples of former centres who have become guardsd because they hate the contact and cant bang in the paint

Reply #20896 | Report this post

waa waa waa. everyone bow down to the big men, especially cheezeburger, cause they are all big tough men.

Reply #20897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone needs to tell this guy banging ISN'T the most important part of the game.

Reply #20898 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think 80% of players will be guards/forwards too, because 4 out of the 5 positions on the floor are guards/forwards. Nice one cheezeburger, that's the most sensible thing you have said in a while.

Reply #20918 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I give up... :-)

Reply #20929 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

The bulls won 6 championships using crap centres....

Reply #20936 | Report this post

hrrrnnn  
Years ago

well doctor if u read cheezeburgers post then u will see he only talks about guards eg. pg, sg, so that makes your contribution worthless. Just read the moese malone interview and it says it all

Reply #20945 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

well i dont care if my comments dont make sence to you. you just have to read between the lines to make sence of my posts

Reply #20956 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sence = sense.

Cheezeburger's thread is titled 'importance of the Centre' as opposed to everyone else.

80% of players guards? In what league? Willy Wonka's Social League. Charlie and Willie to play centre on forward, with 80% oompa loompa's sharing the guard spots?

Reply #20960 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

thedoctor what are you a doctor or an english teacher.think its the english techer

Reply #20975 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I am one of the Three Wise Men.

1- the doctor

2- Kareem Abdul Jabbar (best hook shot ever + best martial art fight scene ever)

3- Arnold Schwarzenegger - there is an Arnie quote to handle any situation

Reply #21014 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

so the sixers are taking rees and cooper as centres into into this season.

Reply #43106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754