Isaac
Years ago

Knicks hit rock bottom, keep digging

Spotted a piece on the ESPN site that's guaranteed to make anyone who's complained about the 36ers this year or last feel like things are just beautiful here at home (well, they're not too bad now, but you know what I mean).

For those that want to read it all, hit this link now. Otherwise, I'll quote some highlightslowlights below. And there are a few!

Chris Sheridan's Daily Dime, #1

Nearly a decade of bearing personal witness to the downfall of the New York Knickerbockers has taught us to never label anything "the worst it has ever or could ever be," because recent history has shown us time after head-shaking time that things actually will get worse at Madison Square Garden, that this week's or this month's or this season's new low will not remain a new low for long.

Still, it really was a new low at MSG Tuesday night as the fans chanted "Fire Isiah" more than a half-dozen times during a lifeless 26-point loss to the Golden State Warriors that extended New York's losing streak to seven games.

Taking it all in with a pronounced frown on his face was owner Jim Dolan, who marched straight into Isiah Thomas' office after the game and either did not have the guts, the will or the good sense to do the right thing and fire his head coach and president.

"We're not headed in the right direction right now, that's for sure," David Lee said afterward in a home locker room where the collective mood of the players was best described as one of self-disgust.

Might this lead to something bad happening?

"Something bad already happened -- 20,000 people just said 'Fire the Coach,'" Jamal Crawford replied.

And this bit is just brutal:
The crowd began booing the Knicks even before the opening tip, and Stephon Marbury heard it in the opening moments of the game every single time he touched the ball. The first "Fire Isiah" chant rang out half-heartedly from the seats upstairs late in the second quarter with the Knicks trailing by 11 and well on their way to accumulating 29 turnovers...

Big city. Big money. How could it all go so wrong and just keep getting worse?!

And, for dessert, here's a great Baron Davis flop in a dead ball scenario (spotted on TrueHoop):

Topic #13614 | Report this topic

XztaiK  
Years ago

"Fire Phil, Fire Phil, Fire..." no? okay.

i never did understand how you can boo your own team. why would you even turn up? if you're that unhappy with the management surely you can just go and support the Nets rather than booing your own team. do they even want the team to win?

Reply #158823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Let's say your best friend is suffering depression. Do you go and find another friend, or do you try to help your friend overcome the troubles in their life? Got me?

Reply #158824 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

yes but in helping your friend through depression wouldnt you support him? because if you would boo him then you probably SHOULD go and find another friend, hes probably better without you.

Reply #158826 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

People can boo their own team as they pay good money to watch their team give 100%. If the team is under performing and embarrassing at times then the players, coaching staff and management deserve to hear the boo's of the crowd.

This is the worst thing anyone involved with the club could hear and should make them realise that they are not doing there jobs correctly and changes need to be made. It is fine that these sporting stars receive the benefits of being a sporting star and get pats on the back yet it is not acceptable to criticize them? Do you think the crowd whom pay $20+ should stand up and applaud the team even after terrible consistent performances? If I was a player and my team received that sort of support even after many shit games then I wouldn't have much motivation to improve or lift my intensity. On the other hand, If the support from the crowd went down and I even heard boo's and I was then told I need to improve my performance or I wont be playing next season then I sure as hell would work alot harder and my motivation would improve dramatically.

Real fans will continue to support their team no matter what AS LONG AS the team and coaches continue to give 100%! If they don't on a consistent basis then they deserve to hear the boo's.

Reply #158828 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

LOL , oh boy here we go ..

Reply #158829 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, you'd want to see changes in his life just like you might want to see changes in the team. I'm explaining to you why Knicks fans just don't go and support another team.

They boo because, short of not paying and not going to games, that's one way to register your disapproval. If anything, assessing that reaction beats people walking away and never coming back - at least you know when/why they're unhappy rather than having no idea.

Remember, they're booing Marbury who threw a tantrum and skipped training or whatever it was and Thomas who got himself embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal, has overseen them to a terrible record and generally become an embarrassment for the franchise.

Reply #158832 | Report this post

That baron Davis flop was nothing compared to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

Reply #158854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also like this one which I think beats both of them:

Reply #158856 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, almost went to this game, was in New York but flew out just as the game tipped off, my friends that stayed on for a few days longer went to it, will be interesting to hear their take on it as non-basketball fans.

Another interesting hoops related story from my time in NY, I was in the NBA store taking a look around when I noticed a tall atheltic looking older guy in a nicely tailored suit walking about, none other than Clyde the Glide!! He didn't appear to be in there in any official capacity, wasn't doing a signing or anything. Anyway, as I was getting my camera out to get a shot of (with?) him this guy came up to me and said "Hey, you wanna get a photo of someone famous? See that tall black guy over there, well that guy behind him is Larry King"

I replied "You know that tall black guy is Clyde Drexler don't you?"

"Oh, really?"

Long story short Clyde had glode out of there by the time I got the camera out but I managed to get a few paparazzi style snaps of Larry King purchasing US$1900 of NBA paraphanalia.

(Mod: "glode" - nice.)

Reply #158858 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

When i saw this thread title I thought Isiah was going to be on another discrimination charge.

Reply #158872 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754