Camel 31
Years ago

Brian Stidston: 7000 games

I attended the funeral of Brian Stidston at Cheltenham Baptist.
He played for 50 years,summer and winter, 3 games a week, 7000games, 100,000points,110 premierships. Mostly for Cheltenham Basketball Club.

Topic #13638 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

7000 games at lets say $5 per game = $35,000 thats a fair effort :P Never Heard of him but obviously a really serious baller

Reply #159059 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some of us played for 20 odd years, 3-4 games a week, summer and winter, mostly for cheltenham church and social. Then we retired, and Brian kept going for another 20 years, and we wondered if this would be the record for games,points and premierships.

Reply #159061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a genuine top bloke... will be sadly missed.
Best wishes to David and Tanya

Reply #159084 | Report this post

scott whitmore  
Years ago

I had the pleasure of playing about 10 of those 4000 games when I was about 20 years old.

Loved the game.

Reply #159086 | Report this post

tania  
Years ago

being the daughter of Brian, he was a great coach aswell. He had the opportunity to coach in the usa back in the 70s but didnt go cause my brother was to be born around that time. Also getting back to the coaching he was so hard on me as i was growing up,sending me off the court in tears. I started when i was 7 and he coached me through my juniors, i also had the prevlidge to play with him in a mixed comp, starting from the age of 12 till he was 62, that was when he fell sick. He still had the deadly shot just where the foul line is around a little to the 45. People underestimated him thinking this old man is not worth it, until they realised the consistancy of shots that went in, from then on he was double teamed. He won three woolacott medals in his time also. He will be sadly missed by the people that knew him and played with him and against him. My hero DAD! RIP

Reply #159212 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Great little mention ! would love to know more about this champion chap of the game .

Reply #159213 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Brian coached me thru juniors in the 60s and I played with him in 70s.I retired at age 31, slowing down.
He was still playing this year at age 62.

Reply #159333 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I was the lucky son of Brian and was and will be forever proud of my old man. Like Tania said, he was always hardest on both her and I when he was coaching, drew me to frustration numerous times that I even gave him the "bird" a couple of times, ha ha. Still he got me involved in many a premiership and had a damn deadly shot around that 45, right up til he became sick. Dad, you're a legend and I'm gonna miss ya heaps. Just for the record, Dad was buried wearing his basketball uniform, heaven has gained a great point guard and a great man aswell. Love ya Dad

Reply #159410 | Report this post

ALAN BELL  
Years ago

Brian you were a legend of the game, i remember back all those years ago at ST.Clair when i was playing against you, you had a sweet jump shot a very rarely missed and to keep playing like you have you were are an inspiration to me. You will be sadly missed. Tania,David & family my condolences to you.
Brian may you rest in peace.

Reply #159536 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I only just saw this post and I know it's late, but, WOW.

RIP Dude.....sounds like you need it.

Awesome, truly Awesome perfomance.

Reply #159537 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

110 premierships!??!!

That's crazy. I doubt whether there would be anyone who has played more organised games anywhere in Oz.

Reply #159545 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

RIP, Brian. This would be Guinness Book of Records.

Reply #180656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754