Player10
Years ago

Sorry Mike, but you gotta go

mike chappell seems to be a nice guy and an excellent team player but you cant have an import avg. 10ppg when hes getting paid to score, he has had ample opportunities and the season is pretty much gone, if they make the 8 it will be another 1st round exit so why not try and savour something?

i seem to remember another sixers import, charles thomas, getting drilled from all corners but at this stage and from what i have seen he was so much more productive and reliable than chappell.

time for a new import!

Topic #13654 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

Charles Thomas was unlucky in many respects in that he had to follow Darnell Mee and Willie Farley version 2002. Thomas was a more than decent import and we didn't lose too many games because of him (a couple, but not many).

Chappell is giving the team practically nothing. I am for cutting Dench first but you can't realistically get anyone to replace him. Adelaide could get another import to replace Chappell. These are basically the only moves we have: cut Chappell, or cut Smyth.

Reply #159194 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

i remember an import years and years ago, who got cut mid season too, was it jeff brown i think?

what were his numbers compared to chappell?

maybe theres a precedent there...

Reply #159196 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Coopz, Isaac would have those numbers under "Sixers Stats 94-99" on the left hand side of this page. As much as Chappell has been a disappointment, he's still a mile ahead of Jeff Brown. Chappell is more of a Jo Jo English.

Reply #159199 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Jeff Brown

http://www.nblstats.com/players.php?playerid=10138

Reply #159203 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

+1 to this petition

Reply #159208 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

If the sixers mangement don't try and find a replacement for him, thy are basically telling us fans that they are giving up on this season. It's a joke this guy is still around, he should've been gone many weeks ago.

Reply #159210 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

Jeff Brown roughly 8 PPG and 4 RPG

Not far off 10 PPG...

but no, he probably isnt that bad.

Reply #159214 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

The more I watch MC's season unfold, I see more and more that he is not totally to blame. I for one, called for his head early as life as an import is cut throat and his supposed injury was offered up as a reason. Unfortunate but tough....that's life. However, they stuck with him and as I watch these games, I see more and more the lack of any team structure allowing him to make the most of his talents. I would classify him as a perimeter player and ALL these types of players within the current Sixers are simply hot and cold. A reflection of the fact that they are constantly under pressure to create their own shot. There is no offensive structure allowing them easy looks and so one week they may get off but the next they struggle.
Start looking now at what the coach runs offensively (or should I say doesn't run) instead of persecuting the players. MC is now a victim of a very ordinary team structure and will become the scapegoat.

Reply #159218 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Izzy agreed but more to the question the import that needs cutting is DENCH!!

Reply #159219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And replace Dench with who? Not many or any options. Chappell is a different case though.

Reply #159220 | Report this post

DENCH CAN PLAY he just needs to have a structure to work to he is a role player and works hard at d end of the floor but seems lost in o because unit has not structure in / out - he is lost because he is not a creator / but plays very much within his capabilities coach phil just doewsnt see the bigger picture - pick and rolls - screen away - team one percenters dench does well but not in this catch and shake and bake shoot em up group

Reply #159221 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I thought Charles Thomas got unfairly drilled when he was our import especially from Boti. The guy still brought some level of excitement to the game, was an excellent passer, could catch on fire (I remember a game where he single-handedly beat the Kings) and was also able to play some pretty handy defence with his long arms.

Chappell is not even close to contributing what CT brought to the table yet I haven't really seen Boti write too many negative comments about the guy. It's an insult to the paying fans that they have to put up with his sub-par performances week-in, week-out. This was a perfect game with Maher being out for Chappell to step up in his 100th NBL game, show some leadership and score 20-25 points when we needed some offence. But as has been the case, we get another 4-10 performance for 8 points.

The other problem for Chappell is that we rely on our imports far more than other teams due to our lack of Aussie talent. Teams like the Kings and Cairns for example can have their imports put up "Chappell" like numbers as they have far more Australian talent. However, for some stupid reason we decided to get Chappell before we knew what Newely's plans were and we're now paying the price for aquiring an import who is completely inadequate.

What is Farley doing at the moment?

Reply #159222 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

yer didnt mean to rite import there.

Reply #159223 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Farley in europe somewere i last heard.?

Reply #159224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rat10, I don't think they signed Chappell expecting this, regardless of whether or not they thought Newley would stay.

I agree that CT was very harshly criticised and I'm surprised not to see the same now. Only difference I can see is that CT would pull up for ill-advised threes and things like that, whereas Chappell doesn't really do anything explicitly wrong, he just doesn't put up the numbers they need.

Reply #159232 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

When you are shooting 33% from the field, I'm not sure if any shot is well-advised for Chappell! The sub-par offensive performances might be easier to swallow if Chappell provided something defensively or rebounded like a Dave Thomas, but sadly this is not the case.

You picked the wrong game to miss Isaac, should have been this one and not the Dragons last week.

Reply #159233 | Report this post

Years ago

I'll admit I haven't been following the Sixers that closely this year, but does anyone think that the Sixers should maybe focus on a big man as their #1 import, instead of a guard next season. I mean, go after a Rick Rickert type - someone who's young, big, can score and rebound. Or if not an import, try and lure a Matt Neilson or another good Australian big (might not be possible though). It'd probably require a few changes to the system as well, but yea, might be an idea.

Just thinking back, geez Thomas used to get a lot of flack. IMO, he wasn't really bad, he just couldn't live up to the standard that Farley set during Willie's first run with the Sixers.

Reply #159234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was thinking that earlier re missing the wrong game. At least that patch of Cedar highlights was good to watch, and Coops' tip-ins getting the rest of them out of gaol.

What chance do people give them up against the Blaze? GC were rubbish against Brisbane, but seem to be at full strength, on their home court and will be eager to win after that beating by the Bullets.

3, Ballinger is not unlike Rickert actually and there is a chance he might naturalise with the team which is a big advantage. He probably uses his outside shot a bit more than Rickert who is a touch more of a beast in the paint due to a bit more height.

No team in the NBL could match what Nielsen is likely getting. Remember, the cost just to insure him for an international series was around what a mid-range starter might get in the NBL?

Reply #159235 | Report this post

BringBackRees  
Years ago

If the 36'ers are serious about not only making, but getting through the first round in the playoffs, they need to find another import. MC has had plenty of chances.

Reply #159241 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with Minx that it is insuting to us as fans that Chappel is still around, excuses have run out and he has had ideal opportunity to score well with Brett out and some of the easier teams over last few weeks. Yes Izzy there is no system for D or attack but they are not going to sack Phil this season so have to create points and Chappel cant do that, he is not even hitting open shots. Although not too many superstars there are a lot of good new imports this year in N B L

Reply #159251 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

You have to wonder why Chappell was one of the NBL's best, then comes to Adelaide

You have to wonder that Dench was a highly sort after player by multiple clubs, then comes to Adelaide

Willie Falrey was one of the best imports when he first came to Adelaide - then slowly over the years became one of the worst.

Hmm - I am seeing a pattern here - Guys come to Adelaide, and there abiliies disappear and there attitide declines - could it be something in the water, or could it be the coach?

Reply #159258 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Would anyone take a punt on the recently cut Tucker?

Reply #159276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nope!

We have 10 points available. Use them on someone decent and don't pick up a discard because it's the easy option.

Reply #159282 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Where is Steve Leven?
I have bought this up before and been shut down, but he is Aussie, not sure of points though..

Reply #159284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing in a lesser Euro league last I heard. Wouldn't cost a lot of points.

Reply #159290 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

(shakes head)

I left yesterdays game early (only second time in my bball watching career). I took my wife and she advised in the car on the way home "that's a couple
of hours of my life I will never get back..."

Sadly I feel the same. This roster SHOULD be doing more. personaly I am also thinking a change in Coaching staff.. even after being a big Fan of Phil's in seasons previous to this (and last).

ShaneD

Reply #159292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ShaneD, I had to stop my SO from playing Solitaire and Tetris on my phone she thought the game was that boring.

Reply #159294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I know he has a few personality issues, Isaac you don't seem to be the biggest fan of his, but would you give him a shot?
Could play the 3 better than Chappell has been.

Reply #159297 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isnt Leven (a bit like Tucker) regarded as a bit of a team cancer?

Reply #159299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, who, Leven? Nah, not really a fan of his (see Wildcats and Boomers incidents).

I just think there are no real alternatives for Dench, so keep him in there, and better alternatives to Chappell than Tucker.

Reply #159302 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Let me make it clear, I dont want tucker either. Was just wondering if anyone did!!!

No alternatives for Dench? For the 6 minutes he got, how about Dodman?

Dench is a 6 point player and we already have 5 up our sleeves. So points wouldnt be an issue for any player.

Reply #159303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, sure, play the GOAT. Just little point in cutting Dench IMO. Even with 10 points, what are you going to bring in? Not much out there with new teams getting what was left (Cameron, Petrie, Janev, etc).

Reply #159308 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fair enough, like I said, he has issues, but can play 'ball.. and that is what we need, not an import averaging 10 per game from 15 shots..

Reply #159311 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

You don't cut Australians mid season, imports are different. Up to the coach to turn Dench around.

Reply #159312 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Looking at the stats for Chappell and noticed he only took 10 shots. An import should at least be taking 20 a game and the team structure should support this. I suggest he may be a little frustrated.

Reply #159313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if anyone else noticed it, but in the latter stages of the game, it seemed that Davidson would ignore Chappell and look for other options. Might've been the game plan for Davidson to penetrate and dish to Ballinger, but he'd also go to anyone else on that other side even when Chappell was wide open on the arc?

DB5, are you talking about Dench or Tucker? If Tucker, look at his numbers this season - 8/7/3 with 4 TOs in 30 minutes, and not really at a great clip either. Hardly worth making the change and going back to "gelling" again?

Reply #159314 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ha ha no, we don't have 4 to 6 weeks..

I was talking about Leven, can see how you were confused, same character description for both players...

Reply #159317 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see it happening.

Reply #159324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think rashad tucker would be a perfect fit for adelaide. He has not fit in at cairns at all because of the style of game but Phil's free flowing offence would give tucker a chance to create for himself and others

Reply #159418 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Ahhhh yes, the old 'free flowing offence'......which is really code for 'do what you want and I am relying on all the coaches you've had to have hopefully taught you the right option from the wrong.'

Reply #159595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754