Run TMC
Years ago

LBJ early MVP favourite?

After notching his consecutive triple doubles and his fourth for the season I think LeBron James has to be the current MVP frontrunner by a mile.

His numbers this season are now:

31.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 8.0 ass, 1.9 blk, 1.6 stl

Damn!

I noticed Bill Simmons originally picked the Cavs to miss the playoffs and then changed his minf in his update to have them finishing fourth in the East. His intial pick was based on the fact that he thought a tough long season plus for LBJ last year, plus Olympic trials in the summer, would make it tough. He then changed his mind after seeing one of his early season games. He commented:

"What was I thinking? He's a force of nature; he's never breaking down. You could swing a five-wood into his legs as he's driving to the basket and he wouldn't notice, for God's sake. He's ridiculous."

At only 13 games in there is a long way to go, but LeBron certainly is putting up some freakish numbers at the moment.

Topic #13662 | Report this topic

Max  
Years ago

Yea he is an early MVP Fav. in my book. He just got another triple-double today against the Pacers. His second in a row.

Reply #159266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dwight Howard has to be in contention as well. Putting up numbers and getting wins.

Reply #159270 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

It all comes down to what is meant by "valuable". LeBron makes an otherwise terrible team very competitive, while Howard makes an otherwise average team a contender in the East. The best indication of a player's "value" comes when they don't play, i.e. how much they are missed.

Reply #159277 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Thats a good point. Today against the Pacers, James sat in the third. In that time it was a 12-2 run to the Pacers to get them back into the game. His averages are up in all categories except steals (-0.3). He is a freak of nature!

Also, just a side note - Kidd is averaging 11.2ppg, 8.5rpg and 10.2apg, does anybody think he can get to Triple Double averages??

If he were to get there, would that be MVP material??

Imagine if both James and Kidd averaged T-Ds for the year (unlikely but still...)

Reply #159283 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

The key is how well the Cavs do. If the Cavs finish with 50 or more wins and he keeps his stats up, he will win it. If the Cavs have a poor season he won't win it no matter how good the stats are...

Reply #159285 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

hustle,

Kidd has only averaged more than 10 assists twice before this year and is currently at his career high for rebounds (compared to career average of 6.7) so it would be a long shot. Gotta love his work tho. I wonder what the Lakers fans are thinking right now watching him play against Kobe. He could have been playing with him!

Reply #159340 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I think if Garnett stays healthty and Celts do well, he will win it...

Reply #159409 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

LBJ just missed the second half of the game against Detroit. A bit of an indication of LBJ's value to the Cavs:

First Half Score: DET 48 - CLE 43
Second half Score: DET 61 - CLE 31

Apparently he sprained a finger. It will be interesting to see how the Cavs go if he misses a couple of games

Reply #159937 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

who does everything think will be the 1st man to get a quadruple-double or has it been done b4 e.g 15 points,10 assists, 12 rebounds and 11 blocks/steals
Kirilenko got close the other day against the lakers.
got something like 20 points/11 boards/10 assists/6 blocks and 4 steals!!!

Reply #160649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been done before - Olajuwon had a massive line.

From here on, I think the best chances are probably Kirilenko, Josh Smith, or Gerald Wallace?

Reply #160650 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Actually I thought it was Robinson....

Reply #160657 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago vs. Atlanta; 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks.[1]

Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio vs. Phoenix; 20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals.[2]

Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston vs. Milwaukee; 18 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 11 blocks.[3]

David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio vs. Detroit; 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks.[4]

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple-double

So we were both correct Isaac..

How huge is Nate's game??

Reply #160658 | Report this post

Basket 35  
Years ago

First man to achieve a quadruple double was Nate Thurmond for Golden State I think??

Reply #160659 | Report this post

Basket 35  
Years ago

sorry, disregard that post, hadn't refreshed the page... sorry Isaac

Reply #160660 | Report this post

LN  
Years ago

Cavs gwent 0-6 while LBJ was out. They won first game he was back. He's my MVP (assuming he stays fit and Cavs make the playoffs)

Reply #161994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754