Ice
Years ago

Mike's a bust, but what about Phil?

Sure Mike has not worked out as we had all hoped and sure his time is up and should be replaced.
But for the first time in 20 years of going to home games I felt disgusted in what I saw, and had I been sitting behind the sixers bench would have given Phil a few words of advice.
With 11.20 to go in the game and being down by 11, Phil made the change of the year by taking off Mike C.

With the game, and we may as well say the season, hanging on those last 11 mins, despite all his form problems Mike had to be on court to give us some kind of chance.
Why would you not put your best 5 on and live and die by that decision. Now I'm not a big Mike C fan but he has the potential to put some points on the board
Instead he had Brad, Darren and Sutton all out there. (why do we need 3 guards out there at crunch time)Sutton did nothing but turn the ball over and give the Crocs more confidence.
Get Sutton off and give Mike a 'chance' to save himself and the team and the season.

Our one foray into a trapping defence was farcical and let them stoll down the middle for two easy lay ups.
Do you think Phil watched the trap that South put on us last week, or the trap that Bris always uses to upset us?
Does he know how to coach a team and teach new ideas?
All his coaching career he has lived behind his marquee players (Mee, Brooks, Maher, Cat) who know how to flat out play. When he has needed to develop players/skills (Holmes, Forman, Hill, etc) he has come up with a big fat donut.
Sorry to go on but, the frustration has finally got the better of me and i needed to vent.(and by the looks of Boti's article he feels the same way)

Topic #13673 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh i see where your coming from Ice Smyth had all those guys getting open shots and missing.Yep lets get Chappelle back in cos he was playing so great lighting it up.In 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter they out score us by 10 points all other quarters its close so the defence was no good check there score in the last game looks like the defence slowed them up but there shooting was terrible.Guess Heal and Mcleod are also gone there below us so they are clearly worse and what about Black gone they are stacked this year going no good get rid of him as well.Sutton on to carry the ball hoping Brad and Darren would get going from outside thats why Sutton was in to allow Davidson to get some easy shots.Nobody shot well but sack Smyth then they will all shoot better.Melbourne didnt shoot well either gave up more points lost by more why arent we asking for Westovers head or saying he has lost the plot.You guys are unreal.

Reply #159390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Westover is 9-3 and a lot closer to the top of the ladder. He also took his side to the finals last year. Remember? That X vs Y vs Z comparison is straight out of pre-school.

Ice, I agree that you want your best out there when trying to win. If Chappell isn't one of those best, then something's wrong and we are only making it harder for ourselves. Forget Smyth and Dench, that import spot is the easiest and best bang-for-buck change they can make. Just my opinion.

Reply #159396 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Has everyone forgotten that Maher was missing. Don't you think they would have got another 10 points from him. You are all being far too harsh. This game was a very winnable one with just one change and that is Maher playing. Adelaide did a shocking job of shooting the ball but give them some credit for the work they did restricting the opposition. Having said that, I would not have given Chappell any more time than what he got. He well and truly underachieved in the time he did get. Ice, how many more chances do you think he should be given to save himself?

Reply #159431 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Phil has got to have a good look at himself and remember what it took to win games, the players he bought in this season have not played out a total four Qtrs all year and let to many teams back into the game especially at home, you need a killer instinct .Chappell can contribute atleast he drives and penetrates to the bucket who else can we say does that.Phil please work out some plays to utilise the players you have and work on the players rotation in defence , to many times have we been burnt by the give and go or found a smaller man on a tall, teams at the moment can sence were weak and there for the taking hence build there confidence around that. Down the clutch when the game's on the line you must play your best five on that day regardless of fitness it's all or nothing baby, I dont think Phil has got that right just yet .Brett please hurry back!

Reply #159440 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

EC, the fact of the matter was Maher wasn't there so there is no point in saying we could of won if he was there. They ain't gonna put an astrix on the ladder next to this loss saying "MDNP - marked it as a win any other time with Maher"

Play as a squad, die as a squad regardless of who is out or in.

The game was winnable from when the NBL released the draw. The Crocs roster outside of JR and Homicide is very average. The facts are we shot badly, we suck on offense due to poor structure and confidence, poor rotations of the players, going by 123's theory the rings are crap and they played with more determination and heart plus they wanted the win more that Adelaide.

The only 'harsh' thing is watching this shipwreck called the Adelaide 36ers play...

Reply #159459 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

TR, would you say the poor shooting in this game was consistent with every game? Ng is not usually shooting that bad, neither is Copeland although he can be hot and cold. It was particularly bad in this game, the difference being atleast the 10 points they lost by. Off course this game was a loss and that is how it is recorded but you have to draw some positives out of it because there were. Its a huge positive that the 2 best Crocs were restricted to a low scoring game. They got a worse deal here in Adelaide than they did in Melbourne. The problems faced in this game are the same problems faced every game and that is a few players in particular are not pulling their weight. So much so that it can not be compensated by the others. There needs to be some changes made to the roster before any improvements can be made.

Reply #159602 | Report this post

Soulman... What it took to win back then was breaking the salary cap and spending the states basketball money... Dont you realise we had 2 NBA calibre players in Brooks and Mee when they won those 2 titles plus a few guys that represented Australia. It was a marquee team my friend. THose days are over now we need a coach.

Reply #159624 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC, missing Maher is balanced by a shocking game from Rillie and Williams for Townsville.

Reply #159629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754