Years ago

Does Anyone Remember One on One Magazine?

Does anyone remember One on One Magazine?

It was an Australian basketball magazine that was at its peak in the '90s, and then it just seemed to disappear. It was similar to what Handle is now, except it was a little bit lamer, for lack of a better discription.

There was also another "hip-hop" basketball magazine called Jammin', which was basically a blatant rip-off of US mag SLAM (and even stole some stories directly from SLAM's pages, if I recall correctly).

Anyway, does anyone have any memories of One on One? Does anyone know what ever happened to it?

Topic #13679 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Remember it? Just moved house and have boxes of those darn magazines. I keep telling myself - one day they'll be worth a fortune ..... ;-)

Reply #159465 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

the posters in them were awesome,each month a new one up on the wall and when i got bored i turned them around. another one around at that time was hoopsanyone remember that one?

Reply #159468 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Got every single issue, susbscribed from day one, first edition, Gaze on cover.

I even remember an early article called Spanish Rose about how Bradtke was going to Spain, but when he returns to Australia, he'll be back playing for the Sixers.....

Reply #159470 | Report this post

Fanno  
Years ago

I agree.. One on One was the best basketball magazine, as a youngest getting it every month. I would read it back to front and like booga, i loved the posters.

I will still look at them from time and time again. It is funny to look at the issues where guys like A.I, Tim Duncan, Camby were coming out of college and the experts saying if they would be any good.

I am unsure what happened to the magazine, i gather they maybe didnt have the sales. But at the height of basketball in Australia during the 90's it was a great mag.. Good Times.

Reply #159472 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Got every issue, loved that mag..

Right up there with Pro Basketball Today newspaper.

Would buy both religiously...

Booga, yeah hoops was a good mag, still have a heap of them.

Plus all Slam with Bulls on the cover....good times...

Reply #159481 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I had a subscription to One on One for about 2 years and got the hard covered folder as a free gift. It had a good mix of NBA/NBL and wasn't too crowded with advertising compared to some mags out today.

I loved the Pro Basketball Today newspaper. I wish it was still around.

Reply #159486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW!!!!!

this brings back memories...

Pro Basketball today newspaper, haven't thought about that in like 10 years!!

those were some seriously good times, they were the best times for basketball in Australia.

Reply #159496 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

PBT was awesome. Had boxscores! And league leaders for NBL. Loved it.

Reply #159497 | Report this post

cats wax  
Years ago

Great mag and if i remember rightly Tim Morrisey (ex kings) was the editor

Reply #159500 | Report this post

Colin  
Years ago

I collected every single issue of One on One and PBT - them were the days !!

Reply #159507 | Report this post

Philnaldo  
Years ago

The problem with One on One was that the first issue cost $5.95, the last issue cost $5.95, not one price increase in aprrox 8 yrs, I liked Pro Baskball Today as well but the internet rendered it useless

Reply #159509 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Got every issue of One on One as well, the final issue had Gaze on the front in a Spurs top in 1999, and also had a story on Adelaide's 1999 championship.

One on one then was incorporated into PBT, which only died out a couple of years back. As mentioned above, the internet made it a pointless read.

Reply #159512 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Philnaldo, as soon as the internet threatened their sales, they should have taken their archive online and adjusted their game plan a bit. Might never have been able to sell online subscriptions to cover paying more than one person, but at that early stage, but could have easily created an associated forum and gone from there. A paid editor and guest, volunteer writers could've at least kept it alive.

Reply #159519 | Report this post

Philnaldo  
Years ago

Well thats right, but perhaps common sense and initiative wasn't used and thus they ceased to exist.

Reply #159533 | Report this post

Ricky Wong  
Years ago

pbt was made by the same people that made one on one .. as basketball popularity dropped off sooo did the profits first one on one and then pbt both great magazines . Handle is a great magazine which i hope has a bright future .

Reply #159603 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

www.andthefoul.net
This guy actually posts a lot of old one on one articles

Reply #324811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current editor of the Adelaide Advertiser sports section was a long time editor of One on One

Reply #324817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to buy it every month too. If I remember correctly it ended after the 1999 lockout. Lockouts ruin everything!

Reply #335000 | Report this post

Pre-200 NBA Lover  
Years ago

Anyone know were to get something like PBT these days ???

Reply #505607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump.

Simpler times no internet idiots.

Reply #758485 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It was all a dream
I used to read One On One magazine
Dwayne McClain & Ricky Grace up in the limousine
Hang the posters on my wall
Every Saturday Channel 10, Mr. Magic Steve Carfi...nevermind

Reply #758486 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I bought nearly every One on One mag, then got rid of them - d'oh!

Those were the days, sigh ...

Reply #758496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone remember an older basketball magazine from the 70s called "Time Out"?

Reply #822967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754