Bizzy
Years ago

Boti: Lucky Import Break

Interesting article posted by Boti on Adelaide now today. Talks about the Sixers becoming to conservative when it comes to signing imports and are going for the 'safe' option instead of taking a gamble ala NZL.

In contrast, Adelaide has not gambled on an import since it recruited Willie Farley for the 2001-02 season. The result was an exciting fresh face, and an unlikely championship.

Prior to that, the 36ers had gambled on Kevin Brooks in Phil Smyth's 1998 debut NBL season and the result was a championship.

(Darnell Mee was a pretty handy acquisition too but he had spent a year with Canberra and was a known quality commodity.)

Adelaide has done no gambling since, preferring instead to recycle its imports.

Read More

Don't think anyone can really disagree with that! Anyone have any thoughts on why this is? Why do we chase and recycle old imports?

Topic #13698 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Brooks was hardly a gamble, considering he and Darnell played at the Denver Nuggets together. Brooks was recruited by Darnell.

Reply #159793 | Report this post

S.Flloyd  
Years ago

Yep, and just paved the way......sorry Mike, I know it wasn't all your fault. Get a bit more selfish next time and don't worry about winning.

Reply #159794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a matter of recycling the right imports and looking for fresh blood at other times. No point in recycling just because it's easier, more comfortable and safer.

Ballinger is a case of recycling the right import IMO.

Reply #159798 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Does Boti take his material from this site????

Only talking two days ago about Farley being the last player we gambled on from overseas.

Reply #159824 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think as a fan he just tends to go through the same thoughts as many other fans. The Greene signing after the Crocs picked up Homicide probably gave him the spark.

Reply #159830 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Isaac I think you are being modest as I firmly believe that as the criticism has intisified of Chappel and Phil along with Dench on this site he has had to put into print the feelings of hoops and other fans. I dont believe they will sack Phil this season and dont see any point in sacking Dench, just dont play him. Surely Dodman can take more rebounds than him and provide inside prescence.
We have a long hard run home and we must sack Chappel now and bring something to this team and assist Brett, Adam and Brad so at least we have something to look fwd. to for this and next season

Reply #159837 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Correct 'bretts the man'

Reply #159840 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Considering your best player last night is a pensioner then it won't matter what you do. This season is dead for the 36'rs.

Save your money and play some juniors.

Reply #159877 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Are you kidding Qlder?? Surely!

We play the old guys on pensions, because Phil is certain that he gets "senior's discount" once it comes to contract time..

Cannot wait till next year, I heard we were getting Paul Rees, Larry Sengstock and Al Green, what with Ballinger off the bench, that is a huge front line!

Reply #159904 | Report this post

xtc  
Years ago

I will still take Al Green now over some of the crap we are trying to pass off as imports any day of the week.

I thought last year was a low point!

Reply #159914 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Last year was a low point.

On the bright side, this year makes last year look a lot better.

Reply #159920 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"Does Boti take his material from this site????

Only talking two days ago about Farley being the last player we gambled on from overseas."

And here was me thinking that TR was Boti hehehehe

Reply #159968 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754