Isaac
Years ago

Anyone ever play Michael Jordan In Flight?

Kwest talking basketball games reminded me - anyone ever play the old PC game "Michael Jordan In Flight"?

Abandonware link - includes screenshots, etc.

From memory, it was three on three. You picked a couple of team mates (e.g., Denny "Truck" Sullivan!) and played a third-person style game.

I remember buying a copy off some kid at school in about 1993.

Topic #13704 | Report this topic

johnnysack  
Years ago

Come on nothing beats Lakers Vs Celtics... I remember playing that game to death - just so Larry could bank in his three pointers for that pleasing flatulent sound effect...

Funny you should mention that same exact MJIF page - i visited it 2-3 days ago... creepy...

Reply #159880 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What about Larry Bird V Dr J on the commodore 64.

Used to love breaking the back board to have the guy come out with the broom and sweep the glass up.

I used to play it flat out against one of the local imports who would never let me be DrJ because "a white guy should not be telling a black guy what to do"

Reply #159881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We used to play our share of Lakers vs Celtics.

Also had a handheld (they called them table tops at that stage I think) basketball game that was really basic but kept us amused for a long time.

And of course, a lot of NBA Jam which is probably why Oscar now makes a living from standing in the corner shooting threes.

Reply #159886 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I had 'Barkley Shut Up & Jam' I remember being real pissed off as I had asked for NBA Jam for xmas and got this instead.
I was a massive Barkley fan, but the game was rubbish!

Reply #159889 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Me and my younger bro used to play lakers vs. celtics on the old IBM XT. We used to play using the keyboard and I always insisted on being player 2.

I used to let my brother get a lead going then in the 4th pull it back to within 1-2, then make the winning 3 on the buzzer.

This went on for 4-6 weeks until he worked out that if I pressed shift and enter at the same time, it was a guaranteed basket. From memory I wasn't allowed to ride my bike for 2 weeks as a result of mum finding out.

Good times..

Reply #159892 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

TV sports Basketball on the Amiga 500 was well ahead of it's time, you could edit all 27 teams and we would use the old Basketball Digest to keep the roster up to date.

game play was awesome
5 on 5 or less if you wanted to change settings.

The Amiga was also my first play of John Madden also and even all those years ago the game play was brilliant.

Reply #159896 | Report this post

Snake Plissken  
Years ago

Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City = best

Reply #159897 | Report this post

Nothing compares with NBA jam for the SNES. me and a mate got about 330 points with chicago (with unlimited fire), that corner 3 never missed.

Reply #159900 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Hell yeh! TV sports Basketball all the way. I had it on the PC and spent an incredible amount of time turning the fake names into real players. I used the Street and Smiths to keep my rosters up to date though.

My only problem was I lost the manual which had the access codes needed to enter a game. So for every game I wanted to play, I had to guess the random word which would let me in. 3 fails and it kicks you back to the main menu. Sometimes I would be guessing the password for hours on end just to play one game. Sure made you appreciate it when you actually guessed right and got in!

Reply #159902 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I remember my mate and I put the whole of our social team into TV sports basketball.

We then edited the files and made our skills unbelievable.

We found that if you increased the attribute values (height etc) too much the player would appear as a massive headless torso.

The torso would dominate the game and average a triple double mind you..

Reply #159911 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Always used to fight over Portland in TV Sports Basketball as they had a 7'5' Guard ... the same as Mahtma and Kwest, just spent countless hours updating rosters. Kids these days don't appreciate the hard work it took to make games as realistic as possible.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Reply #159916 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Ahhh the memories.. Cutter..Garner..Riordan.. Duggan

Reply #159952 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Anyone no wre yo candonload Michael Jordan in flight?

Reply #159960 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

anyone no were you can download michael jordan in flight?.

sorry about above lol.

Reply #159964 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I had Jordan vs Bird on my old 486. You could play as Jordan in a dunk contest, Bird in a 3 point contest, or pick either player in one-on-one (which was damn near impossible!!!)

The dunk comp had all the cool dunk names like "Kiss the Rim" and "Statue of Liberty".

One of my favs on SNES was Tecmo Super NBA basketball. Was the first 5 on 5 NBA game I remember paying.

Reply #159980 | Report this post

Bent Kenson  
Years ago

If I remember correctly, The only
(or main) option for control in Jordan in flight was with the mouse, which was pretty wacky.
Played that game way too much actually. The graphics! (lets ignore the black abyss surrounding the court)

Reply #160009 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I remember Michael Jordan in flight, from memory there was some spoken voice in the game that was pretty revolutionary for the time.

Lakers vs Celtics was wicked, loved playing as the Lakers and having Byron Scott jack up a three whenever he touched the ball. The 360 dunk on the break was always the highlight though, how satisfying was it when that happened?

Dr J v Larry on the C64 was gold as well, Kent, I remember that broken backboard broom guy well!!

It's so true, kids these days don't realise how easy they've got it when it comes to video games, I remember the old tape player for the commodore 64, we'd type in run, press the play button then go outside and play for 15 minutes while it loaded up! And that was just to play the high jump event on Summer Games.

Reply #160010 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kobe for MVP, try the link I put in right at the top to the abandonware site - might be there.

Reply #160032 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

nba live 95 on megadrive you could freeze every player except yourself & have a pratice(using a button sequence), that was kool in 1995/6...

Reply #160095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754