Blue Collar
Years ago

Dragons: Is the heat on Cortez Groves?

With the Dragons dropping yet another one they should have put away last night, does anyone else think that there should be considerable pressure on Dragons import Cortez Groves?

I don't have the box scores handy but I believe since exploding for 44 points a few weeeks ago, Groves has been totally MIA for the Dragons. From the games I have seen he doesn't even really look like a threat!

I know there are a few Dragons fans who read this forum - your thoughts please?

I for one just want to see "Tez" back to his old form rather then shown the door.

Topic #13718 | Report this topic

lovesthedunk  
Years ago

Groves is really struggling lately. He was crap against the 36ers and didn't do much better last night except for the last 3 he hit. We really need him to be driving the ball and being explosive to win and he's not. He has a tendancy to back out when pushed around a little, thats where Kavossy used to shine, Groves doesn't.

I know everyone hates hammer but he is the only one keeping us in the games these days. Except at the end of games where he takes a billion 3-pointers and then the whole team decides its better to lob shots up from the 3 than drive it in clutch situations.

Holmes is always hard working and a great solid player.

Ingles is playing well but instead of splitting the D and driving he is prone to the pull up jumper this year.

Dragons have a good team but just cant pull it together. No one seems to have that hunger for the win. Hopefully they get another couple of seasons to come good and dont get the axe.

Reply #160040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would they have been better retaining Kavossy and Rosell (Rosell's injury aside)?

I just can't imagine either of those guys backing down - Dragons should've recognised how hard they worked and stuck with them.

Reply #160043 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"I know everyone hates hammer but he is the only one keeping us in the games these days"

Playing us into them and then coaching us straight back out again.

Reply #160046 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

A good question Issac. Personally I would have liked the Dragons to stick with both imports for more reasons then just the fact that they were both putting up quality performances most nights. Still, after Groves' form of recent seasons, not may clubs would have passed up the oppurtunity to grab him in the off season.

Right now, lovesthedunk is right - Groves looks impotent on offence and seems to be reluctant to be genuinely aggressive.

I'm just desperate for a performance worthy of a team with such talent...

Reply #160059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching the game last night the only one on the out should be Shane Heal as player/coach. Cortez is completely wasted offensively as he doesn't get the ball ofen enough...so when he does get the ball he feels as though he has to force shots. ON heal. I know ppl are gonna say oh he got them bck in the game. BUt they were dwn by 3 with less than a full shot clock remaining so they could of taken the last shot in a game. They had a time out available in which they could of drawn up a play t get a three. instead Heal shot a step back 3 under pressure which of course missed and then it was all over. He then called a time out after the next free throws. It was a horrible display of both playing and coaching from him.

Reply #160072 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

In all fairness Anonymous..Been a player/coach is not easy. Come on, he has to deal with everything. Subs, Timeouts, His personal game as well as Directing guys on both ends of the floor. Give the guy some credit that he has even managed to win some games. And plus Heal is one of Australia's best all time players. He has played in the NBA and what not. He is a veteran. Don't you think a little respect is necessery??

Reply #160101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Max, he's brought the player/coach thing upon himself. Can't take the role and then use it as an excuse. He could either coach and not play, or let Molloy/Timms/someone else coach.

Reply #160105 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hes got his brother as and assistant surely she knows all about it

Reply #160172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754