Winston-Salem
Years ago

CP3's 61 point HS game

Caught a piece on NBA All Access the other day that I didn't know about Chris Paul.

During his senior year at high school his grandfather was murdered by 5 teenagers in a robbery. He was 61.

Chris Paul was said to be contemplating giving up basketball but was talked out of it. The very next high school game he played (the day after the funeral!) he decided he was going to score 61 points - one for every year his grandfather was alive (his previous best was 37). He did not tell his parents he was going to do this.

After a 24 point second quarter, he was closing in on his target with 59 points and 2 minutes to go. His team was well up. He drove to the basket got fouled and made the shot. He had his 61 points. For the bonus free throw he shot an airball straight out of bounds over the baseline and walked straight his bench and subbed out. His team mates and coach embraced him as CP3's and his parents emotions overflowed.

Just thought I'd share that with anyone else who hadn't heard the story before.

Topic #13741 | Report this topic

M Dizzle  
Years ago

It was highly talked about on his draft night for those who watched. Inspiriational story

Reply #160343 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hadnt heard it....but WOW, seriously, that is awesome stuff, in a sad way i guess.

Reply #160355 | Report this post

how many assists did he have that game

Reply #160358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more than wilt.

Reply #160371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CP3 is the man!

Reply #160374 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I saw it saturday as well, pretty emotional story, but man it was an awesome game. CP3 is a new favourite story. Seems like a really down to earth guy.

Reply #160376 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Thanks Winston.

Should I forward the story to everyone in my address book and receive a warm, fuzzy feeling in return?

Reply #160378 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

warm and fuzzy my arse, i hope the FBI investigate him for point shaving

Reply #160394 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Rex Hunt , wouldn't your address book already be full of warm and fuzzies ;)

Reply #160402 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Warm but not fuzzy

Reply #160404 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Hmmm , suppose it would be like trying to clean a puffer fish with a steelo brush . Now i'll pay to see that .

Reply #160406 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

amazing.

Reply #160804 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

CP3 amazes me. I never heard that story before either. What I do know is that he is basically carrying New Orleans. I had my doubts as to whether he would have a much of an impact in the NBA - man has he proven me wrong!

Reply #162726 | Report this post

raymond  
Years ago

is gerald evans ur cousin?

Reply #196410 | Report this post

raymond  
Years ago

is gerald evans ur cousin?

Reply #196411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does any1 have the full game

Reply #227332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754