Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign import Alston

Derrick Alston

The Breakers have whistled up cover for American import Rick Rickert after learning the big forward will be sidelined for at least another three to four weeks.

Rickert has missed the last three home games due to a bulging disc in his lower back, depriving the Breakers of a hefty 17.8 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.

The Breakers have shored up their inside presence by signing veteran 210cm power forward Derrick Alston for the next month, pending approval of the contract by the NBL. The club has the ability to extend the contract until the end of the season if necessary.

An American who spent two full seasons in the NBA before heading to Europe to excel in tough leagues in Turkey, Spain, Croatia, France and Russia, Alston should land in Auckland next Tuesday and be available for the Breakers' next NBL clash against the defending champion Bullets in Brisbane on Sunday-week.

Shame it's not Rafer, eh?

Topic #13790 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

In before age/sixers joke.

Reply #161010 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez Isaac I got excited there I thought it was Rafer when I read the title!

Reply #161012 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

so the breakers just looking at guys who've played nba?? seems that way... although it is good for publicity..

Reply #161017 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

well if they have played nba you think that th must be good, so why wouldnt you look there? and hell if smyth nd the sixers just looked at the ex-nba players i think we could get a good import

Reply #161019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hooked, I think their scouts are simply recommending the most suitable players available and whether they have NBA-level experience is a secondary factor.

This guy has played in Europe for years alongside Gasol, Turkoglu, Navarro, Elson and so on, but is definitely a veteran by now at 35 years of age.

It's good that they've managed to make a move and have in over ready for their next game.

Reply #161023 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Isaac,
I read a lot of threads about salary caps, player payments, etc. Could someone therefore explain how a player can be contracted, get injured, be cut/dropped, and/or paid out. Does this come under the salary cap and if so when they bring in a new player how can he then be paid and the team stay under the cap. Maybe I'm missing something, or is the salary cap bullshit as a lot of people seem to suggest.

Reply #161051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only the payments while they're playing come under the cap. e.g., the Dragons could keep paying Horvath, but that won't count under the cap AFAIK since he's not actually playing. If anyone knows otherwise, post away.

Reply #161074 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Isaac,
That answer, if correct, would therefore indicate that the 36ers problems may not be salary cap related as they may be more purely a cashflow problem. This would not necessarily be related to income but rather does Mal have any spare cash to splash out on a new import?

Reply #161076 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe the hold-up in replacing Chappell is anything to do with the salary cap, if that's what you're asking.

Reply #161080 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

No, my implication is that possibly Mal and/or the club don't have enough cash available to buy a new import.

Reply #161085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's what I assumed you meant, but it's not something I will comment on.

Reply #161091 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I remember this guy on some rancid Sixers (that's 76'ers) squads around the mid-90s... Hmmm a starting 5 of Dana Barros + Willie "Frigging" Burton + Baby Barkley (Weatherspoon) + Sharone "Chicken Legs" Wright + and Shawn Bradley = RANCID... I do remember him always making appearences in the blocks of the week (6-11 long and a quick jumper) a couple of his dunks made it onto the highlight reels as well... He could end up being a very canny signing... I think he may have come into the league a bit before his time as he was a wing player crammed into a PF/C body and the NBA didn't really come to that way of thinking until after guys like KG, the Diggler, Shard, etc... He was one of countless decent players who could have stuck given a different situation...

Reply #161146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754