Anonymous
Years ago

write-up of tonights game!

Sixers Downed by Kings

Topic #13803 | Report this topic

RMM  
Years ago

Anyone see the sit down goorjian banner that was told to be put down??? ... we spent 45 minutes on that thing and 25 bux haha ... Apprently not allowed to put banners up.. .personally i think its disgraceful.. We have emailed the club to voice our opinions! ANy one else have opinions?

Reply #161262 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

RMM, what did it say, "Brian, PLEASE come and coach here!"?

Reply #161265 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

No mate it said... Sit down Goorjian... Dont think id like that ballsack with ears coaching here everyweek. Not sure if the club can afford to resurfac the court every week after the trench he digs walking up and donw the court!

Reply #161268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least he makes the effort to stand!

Reply #161269 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

OMG Sicksers showed some heart for about a quarter. Seriously it was impressive when they did it but it was too short lived. I especially liked the way Davidson got stuck in and hassled. It turned the game. Only the rest of the team generally couldnt follow suit. Maher and Ballinger obviously helped. Ng had moments of specialdom. but the rest played like they were 50 y.o and had no urgency about the game whatsoever. Sydney were too poised under pressure. Oh yeah Motts was inspirational at times.... yes i love u Motts. Basically Sixers were outclassed, and u have to admit it no matter how much u hate the coach. ps, whats with orthington, he dishes it out but hates it when he gets it back.. What a soft cock..

Reply #161274 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I meant "Worthingtom". Dont hate me coz im drunk

Reply #161275 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Woody, Worthington's like that with almost every aggressive forward in the league. I'd have him on my team though.

As for that banner, to borrow an oft-quoted quote from the Flying High quotebook, "Surely you can't be serious."

Reply #161278 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Worthington spends more time on his back than half the hookers in SA ...

Why, when making a run in the last 5mins, would you bench Motts - who was causing massive probs at both ends, to put on coops, who hadnt been having a particularly good game, and gives us nothing on offense ... that sub with 5mins to go killed us .. just didnt make sense ..

Reply #161281 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

From what I saw, Davidson and Ballinger were the solid contributors. The rest had precious moments, but that was not nearly enough. This is the fault of both the player and the coach.

From mid way through the second quarter Sydney had their bench on. I think this is the main issue here. Depth. Sydney and a few of the other sides in the top eight go 10 deep. Adelaide do not.

24/30 down in the third quarter it is hard to come back from that and they nearly pulled it off against the top team. Did Sydney take their foot of the pedal? I think that the 36ers did shoot a hell of a lot better in that second half. 32 points to half time really hurt them.

My 2.5 cents worth.

Reply #161282 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Maher
Davidson/Ng
Copeland
Ballinger
Motts

Where the only 5/6 combo that worked well on court all night.

But in saying that Sydney really just got caught napping in cruise control being 20+ up for a nice chunk of the game.

Reply #161286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well...what can I say about last nights game.

I'm watching the game on channel 9 ATM, and it's so horrendously evident that we just don't have the roster to play four quarters of good basketball.

That late third quarter/fourth quarter revival was inspirational, it's just a shame that the catalysts (Ballinger, Davidson, Mottram, Maher, Cooper, Ng) are the only dependable players we have at the moment. The rest of the roster - Dench, Chappell, Sutton, Copeland - just isn't enough offensive firepower or defensive presence.

Even if Chappell and Dench were at the top of their game, Sutton is not NBL calibre and Copeland is not expected to be a consistent performer at his age. All season, we've basically only had 6 consistently good players, and 2 of them have had significant time out with injury.

Those six players took it to Sydney last night...but we weren't able to capitalise.

Reply #161291 | Report this post

LN  
Years ago

Ha Ha Moses.

By the way: I am serious, and stop calling me Surely!

Reply #161292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ, I'm watching the replay on Ch 9 and have to agree that that was the best combo. No one else really gave them much. Phil kept putting Chappell back in for Copes but I think Copes was far more fired up and passionate which would've been crucial when they were a chance.

Reply #161293 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

....and another thing, the music was OK. Good job Skip. I loved 'Sadie the Cleaning Lady'. (still waiting for 'Three Blind Mice')

Question, I destinctly heard some 'old peoples music' in the third quarter. Was this intentional or was I just hearing things. (That happens at my age....)

Reply #161296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The banner wasn't offensive in any way, & as long as it didn't block the view of other spectators, I don't see a problem.
I'm all for a bit of personality at the games, it makes for a good night out.

Reply #161301 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More banners the better if they aren't blocking the view. Remember the Rees boys, and the old banners up on the concourse "You may have your Pennisi, we have a Stiffy", etc.

Surely they haven't disallowed banners?!

Reply #161307 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Yeah, they've disallowed banners Isaac. It was on the support stand for the Apollo restaurant, in the South East Corner of the Stadium. Not blocking anyone's view. 4m x 1.8m big.

The message read:
SIT DOWN
GOORJIAN

Nothing offensive. No rude drawings, etc. Just the words "Sit down Goorjian".

We put it up, and one of the white shirted Dome staff members came over, checked it, said should be OK. A few minutes later, he came back and said that the "stadium owner" has said that no banners can be hung, and then pointed out Daniel, the stadium manager as the guy who gave it the thumbs down.

RMM wrote an email to the club last night about it, and we're hoping to be able to put it up on the 12th of January for the next Kings/36ers game.

Skip, you saw it (for the 3 minutes that it was allowed to hang. Your comment/thoughts?

If there's a no banners rule, then why are Jarvis allowed to have their banner hung on the railing on the concourse level? ;)

Reply #161311 | Report this post

joel  
Years ago

Isaac, will the club search for a new import this week as they have a handy week until the slingers game which they should win? i feel they will.

Reply #161312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Remember Boti's article the other day - it said that they were yet to make contact with a new import, but did suggest that they had been looking (e.g., emails, had CVs, etc).

Kev, can't say that I agree with that decision at all. As long as it's not offensive and doesn't block anyone's view, banners are part of the personality of the game and should be encouraged (look at the AFL for example).

Another dodgy decision that has changed back and forth over time is regarding musical instruments (remember the Razorbacks fans in the 2002 grand final, that was amazing). I think Rookie from the Seals last year has sometimes been allowed to bring in a trumpet and other times not at all? He sits with the cheer squad and hardly plays it incessantly or anything. Let him play IMO.

Remember that game when they handed out those annoying little trumpets? That was probably the funniest game I've ever attended.

Reply #161320 | Report this post

joel  
Years ago

I could not understand if they decided againts replacing him now! Bring in Josh Pace! Surely Mal would of relaised that its time, although certain members have questioned the clubs ability to succesfully perform this process

Reply #161324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, was last night the first time in a while a good number of people have given the team numerous standing ovations for big passages of play?

Reply #161329 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Isaac, does that mean the bench too?

Reply #161330 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I know I was on my feet along with my brothers during the fourth quarter comeback - our section of the crowd is always on tv as well. If you see a replay of Ballinger's dunk you can see the fans at the bottom of the screen immediately get to their feet - that's us!

Reply #161351 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Kev,
Maybe if you paid what Jarvis do you could have your banner too?

Reply #161354 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Maybe if they want to keep fans coming to the games, and get the crowd excited and involved, they would let fans like us display our banners.

We had several people come over to us after the game and ask why it wasn't up all game, and when we had a chat with Mahersy and his wife after the game, he also expressed his disbelief that it wasn't allowed to be up.

Reply #161357 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"RMM wrote an email to the club last night about it, and we're hoping to be able to put it up on the 12th of January for the next Kings/36ers game."

Kev, don't put up the whole email. That'd be one big bed sheet!

Reply #161359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

certainly has been a while since ive stood up and numerous others after Goorj called timeout in the last, it was good to see the crowd recognize the sixers efforts to husstle there way back into the game.
But at the end of the day Phil, Dench, and Chappell need to be given their marching orders . I can only hope that the club does something about this now rather than waste the entire season.

Reply #161360 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Classic Moses!!

Reply #161373 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I'll pay that one, Moses. :)

KG.

Reply #161377 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Moses parts water, WIBF, where were you when Motts had the trots?

Reply #161556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754