Kriss
Years ago

Stiff to Adelaide?

Just Read in the Advertiser that if the tigers do pick up Tucker (Which I Think They Will)
They will have to let a player go....Stiffy or Neil Mottram are the favorites to get chopped.

Could be a good replacement for Nashy this year since stiffy is a bench warmer this year for melbourne

Topic #1381 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I dont think this will happen. I am waiting on confirmation of the rule from the NBL Media Manager, but my understanding is no team can sign another import this season.

I will be able to confirm that once he gets back to me.

Reply #15878 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That would be great. I reckon they might release Mottram before Stiff, only coz he has been injured for so long.

Either one would be a great addition for Adelaide.

Reply #15880 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Mottram still seeing Jenni Screen?

Reply #15883 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I think Melbourne would be loathe to cut Mottram. I think they see him as a key to their future. Stiff on the other hand, is much older, has less future, and given his history of changing clubs regularly is no guarantee to stick around next year anyway. I'd still be surpised if they cut Stiff, but I think it's more likely than cutting Mottram.

Yogee, why couldn't teams sign imports anymore? The date for cutting imports for reasons other than injury has passed, but teams can sign imports whenever they want. Playoff qualification is 7 games I think, so in theory Melbourne could still sign an import in January. Why would even bother trialling Tucker if they aren't allowed to sign him? That wouldn't make sense.

Reply #15893 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i thought you could only sign an import now if you cut a player for an injury. Same thing brisbane might try with freeman.

Reply #15901 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

But Melbourne only have one import. They don't have to cut one to sign one. Mind you, they have to cut an Australian, which is ridiculous that you are not allowed to cut an import but Aussies can be cut.

Reply #15903 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It may have to do with the fact that the impact on an import is far greater than on an aussie. ie - stuck in a foreign country without a job!!

Reply #15905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's simply to stop the revolving door thing happening. After Dec 5, imports can only be cut and replaced if they are injured. That's why there was the rush in the week before Dec 5, cleaning out the dirty laundry while they can...

The Tigers and Pigs only have one import, if it fits with salary and points, they can sign another whenever they want. It obviously doesn't with either and an Australian player would have to be cut.

Otherwise, from now on, no imports can be cut without an injury, but as you can see it's been rorted already with the news coming out of Brisbane....

Reply #15912 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I believe you can still cut an import at any time but the replacment import has to sit for 2 games before the are eligible to play.

Reply #15914 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Thats why I'm waiting on confirmation from the NBL. I have seen 3 different thoughts on what the current import rules is, so I am hoping to get the official word.

Reply #15922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754