Martha
Years ago

Social Basketball

Didnt know where else to find out this information- since when do you get a personal foul for not having a number on your top? Have the rules changed from just loosing 2 points?

Topic #1384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah your team gets a foul and 2 points taken away when someone in the team doesnt ahve a number or the wrong uniform.. it been like this for a while!

Reply #15908 | Report this post

Martha  
Years ago

So is it a team foul or personal?

Reply #15911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a personal foul for everyone that has not got a number or the right uniform!

Reply #15915 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Most stadiums have a by law where it is a personal foul. By FIBA definition, an incorrect uniform is supposed to be a technical foul, well at least they did when I was reffing, it may have since been updated.

Reply #15920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah it has its been changed...

Reply #15923 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

It is a personal foul but goes on the team fouls for that half as well.

Reply #15929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah.... where u reffing tonight Alf?

Reply #15931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't really changed as such, there's always been a foul placed on that player, some refs will forget and not place the foul down. If this happens think yourself lucky.

Was this thread due to a womens social game last night at Marion?

Reply #15933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure.. but that is what i though that the person would get a foul and 2 points taken away or is it added to the other teams score?

Reply #15935 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

I heard that one team walked off 10 minutes into the second half.

Reply #15946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why did they walk?

Reply #15948 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

So if someone in your team doesn't have uniform and hasn't scored any points are you happy to have 2 points taken off of you?

It's a lot simplier just to give the other team 2 points.

Reply #15959 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yep...all the stadiums I have reffed at always said the ref would have to give the points to the other team at the start of the game...writing them on to the score sheet.

Most the time though, it normally gets done at half time.

Reply #15963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Them walking had nothing to do with the uniform penalities given. That's a different story altogether.

Reply #15964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's meant to be at the start of them game everywhere, but due to it being social basketball, it makes it easier if you do it at half time as:
a) players complain if you waste their time at the start of the game.
b) due to it being social, not every player is there on time, therefore a player may show up 5 mins into the game without a number. Yes, you are supposed to do it before they enter the court, but refer to point a.

Reply #15966 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

Giving someone a foul for not having a number isn't in the sprit of the game. What are they going to do next, give someone a tech for not tucking in their jersey.

Reply #15989 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

It acts as a deterrent so that maybe next time they will have the correct uniform.

Reply #15990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't it just be easier to go to say Rebel Sport and get a number?

If it's a rule, it's a rule. You can't say "its not in the spirit of the game".

And yes I have seen people subbed off by the referee for not tucking their singlet in. Also a rule.

Why complain and argue a point, a referee is a human as well, try approaching them in a suitable manner and they'll treat you the same way.

Reply #15992 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

Fair enough Alf. Can you say hi to Willie for me?

Reply #15993 | Report this post

Doctor dunk  
Years ago

Anonymous, thoughs rules are fine for District ball but we are talking about Social here. Surely a warning would be sufficient on the proviso that the player will have a number the next week.

Reply #15995 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

So if there are 2 players or 3 without a number, or 2 guys wearing the same number, how are the refs and scorers supposed to identify which "No Number" or which "Red 23" is the player concerned!!

Reply #15997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But how can you be sure the player will have a number the next week? And what if a players already been given a warning the next week they lose points... how do you think the opposition would feel if they get done for no number and you got away with a warning? Rules are there for a reason, even social players know they need a number to play.

Reply #15999 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Bibs, anybody?

Reply #16000 | Report this post

Martha  
Years ago

Disappointing in a social game that you get a foul for having no number but a player on the other team can call someone a f??? slut and nothing happens, not even a warning.

Reply #16001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each no number gets penalised, you cannot have no number. In the case of multiple numbers, it's generally a case of getting one player to turn their singlet inside out and playing as no number, therefore they're the one to be penalised.

Reply #16003 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

At the beginning of each season teams fill out a nomination form that outlines what the rules are regarding uniforms. That should be sufficient warning. If you don't like it don't play.

Reply #16005 | Report this post

Hi Martha,

I am the ref that you had last night. I spoke to your team last night after the game and when told that she called a player this my response was I didn't hear it which is the truth. I was in the process of watching the play when I turned around and saw two players abusing each other off the ball. This is when I stepped in and gave a verbal warning to both teams to either play the game or I would call the game off as BOTH teams were abusing each other at the time that I stepped in. The game then quietened down and continued only to start again due to players from the other team firing up that some of your players had 5 fouls, yes I should have done something here, but by the time I could do anything you had made up your mind to walk off and go home.

I am sorry for what happened last night but as I said I did not hear her call anyone the name you say. This may have occurred, but I cannot do anything about this unless I hear it. You asked me to talk to them about their language which I did straight away, the language had then stopped until the said incident.

Again, I am sorry that the game had ended this way, but I don't understand that you claim I didn't do anything. My partner and I did all we could do. Believe me though, the team in question is being looked into by the stadium manager. Please don't think that we don't care about these matters, we try as best as we can to make our teams happy.

If you have any more questions or queries, please don't hesitate to ask us refs while at the stadium, we do listen.

Thankyou.

Reply #16011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said, ref in question, well said.

Reply #16014 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754