RG
Years ago

Ch 9: Import Forward to replace Chappell

Item on Ch 9 News

Topic #13844 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

yep said there ready to pull the trigger on him and have and american forward poised to go

Reply #161745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #161749 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Does anyone have any clues they can give to who this new import is??? have they played nbl before??

Reply #161750 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins. Fits the age profile.

[Will people please stop with the age jokes!] ;-)

Reply #161753 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Horvath is available

Reply #161759 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

NO!.

Reply #161760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe chris williams? if he was to come id be very pleased

Reply #161763 | Report this post

Someamateur  
Years ago

Hello Charles Thomas

Reply #161768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #161770 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Josh Pace, won MVP in NZ league, id expect him.

Reply #161771 | Report this post

Someamateur  
Years ago

I hope its hime becuase if it is I did more scouting onj him then the sixers. He would be excellent fit for this team. Gives up a little height but when you are starting ballinger and mottram it will not matter

Reply #161773 | Report this post

Someamateur  
Years ago

re: Maher out six weeks (#156447 | Grrr!)

Dench needs to go

Chappell needs to go

Dodman to get any minutes that were reserved for dench. As it would be nice to think that phil might start to try and develop him for future years.

Option for Chappell

Full Name:
Joshua Pace

Nickname:
JP

Born:
23/05/83

Birthplace:
Griffin, GA

Ethnicity:
American

School:
Syracuse

Height:

Weight:

Position:
Gd/Small Forward

Reply #161775 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It IS Josh Pace....Knew about it today but couldn't say (Sorry guys). Check out his NZBL Stats for more up to date info.

Was People's Choice MVP and a member of the league all star 5.

Looks OK.....but it's hard to judge with the NZBL.

Note that Phil STILL didn't look too far :-)

Reply #161778 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Quick back peddle.

The 6ers have OFFERED Pace a contract. He is yet to agree to terms.

They're sweating by all accounts as they don't have any money to offer more.

Still pretty LIKELY to be Pace

Reply #161781 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

where is nzbl stats?

Reply #161783 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Scoring G FG 3FG FT PTS Avg

Joshua Pace 18 136 27 50 403 22.4

There ok, nothing big?.

Reply #161786 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

http://www.kiwihoops.co.nz/27leaders.pdf

Reply #161787 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yay sounds like a great signing, if hes as good as Crowe or better from the Gold Coast he will be a greta pick up, and hopefully if he turns out well we can hang on to him as he isnt that old either, and a fresh face is always exciting!
i wouldnt worry about Phil not looking far away, i remember people sugesting him on this forum and no one seemed to think of him as a bad idea and most liked the idea, plus he is a safer bet the fact he has beaten guys like Crowe before, and Crowe has gone on to be a good import, means that he is fairly certain to be a decent import and prob wont be heaps expensive either!!
Exciting times ahead hears hoping he fits in well and does well!

Reply #161788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I figure he's worth a shot. Hopefully can help the team, but we'll see.

Reply #161792 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its difficult to tell how he will perform in NBL. If you look at players like Crowe, Horvath and Hendrix, their NZNBL stats pretty much reflect their NBL stats but then you have players like Lindsay Tait and Paora Winitana who are amongst the top scorers in NZNBL but no where near reflect their stats in NBL, particularly Winitana. If he can consistently bring 22.4 points and 8.7 rebounds, then he will fill a hole in the 36ers roster.

Reply #161793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I've read, I'd expect a bit of an undersized SG/SF who doesn't have range but goes 110%. His FT numbers weren't great in the past, but it seems that he's improved a bit in that category.

He'd be coming from the East Kentucky Miners in the CBA (where he just had two straight triple-doubles):

Pace led East Kentucky in scoring, rebounding and assists. The Miners' leading scorer for the season finished with 28 points, 14 rebounds and 13 assists.
In Monday's 117-114 win over Atlanta, Pace had 26 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists. He led all players in rebounds and assists.

His stats in the CBA

24.0 PPG (53% FG, 72% FT, 3/6 3P), 8.0 RPG, 4.8 APG, 2.3 SPG.

If he can put in a good effort, having that alongside Davidson and Ballinger, plus Maher, won't be too bad.

Reply #161795 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

has anyone seen him play, if so is he an exciting player.

Reply #161801 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I really like the look of him. Looks like he's not a great a shooter but doesn't try to be, limits his shots to within 10 feet most of the time which will be a nice alternative to our existing reliance on the three ball. He's also young which suggests he'll be at his athletic peak, and with his first crack in the NBL I expect he'll have a point to prove and play with an intensity we've been lacking thus far. Seems to be a bit of a hard ball get type player, should fit well alongside Davidson in that regard.

Really hope this goes through and I look forward to seeing him when I'm back in Adelaide in a few weeks.

Reply #161802 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Agree Billo, I think he'll help us defensively especially. Looks to be a solid rebounder as well. I just wish this deal was done a long time ago.

Hopefully catch up with you when you're back in Adelaide although I'm skipping the country soon for a little while.

Reply #161804 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Like this part of his scouting report at http://www.orangehoops.org/JPace.htm :

"Pace had a very limited shooting range (10 feet and in), and played well within his means, rarely taking a long shot. He had the dubious distinction of being one of the worst free throw shooters in Orangeman history, with a shot that was flat out ugly."

Reply #161805 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Like the fact he is cominf off 2 straight triple doubles, and not coming off the plane with back problems.... KNOCK ON WOOD ;)

As long as he gives even 10% more than Chappell, 36ers will be fine to make the playoffs this season, and perhaps even cause some damage....but Smyth is gone at seasons end, no smiley face can depict exactly how relieved that makes me as a fan that wants to see a bright future at the Dome!

Reply #161808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the words of big kev, IM EXCITEDDD

Reply #161809 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Is there any videos of him around

Reply #161810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scouting report describes Pace as having "a shot that was flat out ugly"

surely it can't be as ugly and bad as Jacob Holmes' shooting!

Reply #161818 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

OK so we cant get jake back but we've found a substitute with a flat and ugly shot? Remember when we complained about Jakes shot and now we would love to see it regularly back in the dome. Bring on Pace.

Reply #161822 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Kingma available?

Just joking!

Reply #161832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is kingma now anyway?

Reply #161859 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isaac, did you have any input on this to management?

You have been trumpetting Pace's name for about a month now..

Reply #161861 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, eventually emailed them about Pace a couple of weeks ago suggesting they look into him, figuring a bit of affordable hustle could suit the situation. Some NZ fans who'd seen him thought he could do OK and Oscar said a couple of the Nelson guys thought he could handle it at NBL level. As others have said around the place, Crowe and Hendrix are two NZ NBL imports who've shown they can at least contribute over here.

(That's not to say that they weren't already aware of him though.)

Let's just hope that he signs and does well because I don't know that they'd make another change if things didn't go to plan.

Reply #161865 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but wasn't David Cooper the reigning NZNBL MVP when we signed him?

Also, if Pace is so good, how come NZ, who have signed two new imports in recent weeks, didn't sign him then, when he has been right under their nose during the past season?

Reply #161867 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Are you a chance for the coaching gig then Isaac? You seem to have done more scouting and pro active work for the team than others who are paid to...

; )

Reply #161871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who Me? - Cooper had an MVP season over there, yes, and it's often cited as an example of the inferiority of their league. Going against that, Crowe has been decent for the Blaze, and was beaten to the award by Pace. Pace had 37 points against Crowe in one of the finals.

NZ needed a point guard (Greene) and a big man (Alston). Pace was neither (an off-guard/SF) though I swear I read that they considered him anyway?

Reply #161874 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

I reckon we should make you recruiting manager for next season Isaac

Reply #161884 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No thanks!

Reply #161887 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"It IS Josh Pace....Knew about it today but couldn't say (Sorry guys). Check out his NZBL Stats for more up to date info."

DICKO??...totally unaceptable, if you are going to be my go to man for this sort of info...it is not on, to not tell me...

hmm reviewing whether you should be cut :)

Reply #161897 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

LOL. Lets start a cut DICKO petition.

Reply #161916 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, if indeed it is Pace that is recruited, will his performance put any pressure on you?

Reply #162008 | Report this post

Michaelism  
Years ago

Look up "Josh Pace" with inverted commas on Google Video and there are is a game with him playing in the NZBL - not sure which team or number he is to be honest, but a small amount of research and you'll work it out.

Reply #162012 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

betty leadfoot...

i will only sign the petition if it is "OFFICIAL"

:)

Reply #162016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, don't see why. I've never seen him play, just sounded like he could suit their needs and budget and put forward the name. They would've looked into it further. Of course, if it's him they sign, I certainly hope he plays well.

Shame that whoever it is only gets five or so games in front of their home crowd unless Adelaide make the post-season.

Reply #162037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Michaelism, Pace is number 5. About to watch them now. Going by the other videos put up by the same user, I'd say it was put up by his agent in shopping him around for playing gigs?

Reply #162047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO: "It IS Josh Pace....Knew about it today but couldn't say (Sorry guys)."

Love you DICKO, thanks for that, you're a legend.

DICKO: "Check out his NZBL Stats for more up to date info.

Was People's Choice MVP and a member of the league all star 5.

Looks OK.....but it's hard to judge with the NZBL."

The Kiwis know their shit, & I respect that. Top scoop DICKO.

DICKO: "Note that Phil STILL didn't look too far :-)"

You're absolutely right DICKO, Phil pounced on him, much to management's disgust. Keep it com'n DICKO, you're a ledge.

*** time passes ***

DICKO: "Quick back peddle.

The 6ers have OFFERED Pace a contract. He is yet to agree to terms.

They're sweating by all accounts as they don't have any money to offer more.

Still pretty LIKELY to be Pace."

I'll go along with your (valid) point that we don't have any money, but he's likely to sign? 8 ) ????
What if he doesn't?
What if another team snatches him?

*** pre-empts come-back ***

It's Phil's fault? ; )

Reply #162104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posted by EC yesterday: "Isaac, if indeed it is Pace that is recruited, will his performance put any pressure on you?"

Posted by Isaac yesterday "EC, don't see why."

*** break in thread to itemise, for simplicity ***

Posted by Isaac yesterday: "I've never seen him play,"

Posted by Isaac yesterday: "just sounded like he could suit their needs and budget and put forward the name."

Posted by Isaac yesterday: "They would've looked into it further."

Posted by Isaac yesterday: "Of course, if it's him they sign, I certainly hope he plays well."

Isaac = Phil??????

Nah.

Sweat it out brother. : )

Reply #162117 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DDFan.....

1. Your name is not showing up.

2. Why haven't you answered your PM on Ozhooops????

3. Your posts are unreadable, was there a point?

Reply #162129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754