Anonymous
Years ago

Australian Players Chances of Making the NBA

The future for Australian basketball sure does look bright. I was just thinking about the amount of Aussies who might be able to make the NBA.

Almost Certainties:

Andrew Ogilvy
Patrick Mills

Reasonable Chance:

Brad Newley
Joe Ingles
Nathan Jawai

Maybe:

David Barlow
Mark Worthington
Aaron Bruce
Aleks Maric

What do you think about those guys chances? Who've I left out?

Topic #13873 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainties
Andrew Ogilvy
Nathan Jawai

Good Chance
Brad Newley
Joe Ingles
Pat Mills

Small Chance
Alex Maric
Luke Neville

IMO that is about it.Barlow and Worthington won't get a shot but will be big time players in Europe.

Reply #162172 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

(Original post is mine)

Infact I reckon Jawai IS more of a certainty than a good chance. Interesting to see nbadraft.net has Aleks Maric at pick no 50 in the 2008 mock draft. Also has Luke Neville at no 58 in the 2009 mock draft.

Reply #162173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy was listed around the no 15 mark for the nbadraft.net 2008 nba mock draft but hes not on the list at all now. Why would that be? Prehaps he's comfirmed he's staying in college for a few more years.

Reply #162174 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Jawai's height will be a deciding factor of whether he plays NBA or not, ive seen him listed as everything from 203cm to 213cm, does anyone know what his ACTUAL height is, he might struggle as an NBA PF if hes only 6'7", even with his scrazy strength.

Reply #162200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is a legitmate 208cm 6'10.

He is the perfect size for a power forward who could also plat back up minutes at centre.

There is no doubt he will be picked up in the 2008 draft.

Reply #162212 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon #162174, I'd say it would have more to do with Ogilvy just not being ready. I don't think many people doubt he will eventually be drafted, and most likely quite high, maybe just not in 08.

Draft Express (IMO, the best draft site) has Jawai up at 41, Ingles at 43 for the 08 draft, and Ogilvy at 20 in 09. So take that for what it's worth.

Reply #162219 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Well good luck to all of them. They all seem like top guys and all have immense talent. I hope to god Patty Mills makes it because he is an excitement machine.

Reply #162223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four, nbadraft.net said that Ogilvy was so good that he could even play some minutes in the NBA right now. So if think that, why haven't they listed him in 08 or 09?

Reply #162298 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Let's get one thing straight. David Barlow and Mark Worthington are not 'maybe' nba players. As posted earlier they can be big time players in Europe but not NBA.
Jawai is a certaintity. NBA Scouts have seen 3 of his NBL Games and he has the strength and size to make it.
Mills has to be a certaintity or close to it. Only a freshman at St Marys, imagine what he can do in 3 or 4 years...
Ogilvy is the biggest certainity. he is absoulutetly carving over there in the usa playing for Vanderbilt.

Those playing college have a greater chance of making NBA. You saw when Craig Bradshaw finished his college career at Winthrop he was a potential late 2nd round pick, but came to Aussie to play and hasn't ever considered it since and probaby wont get as good as chance as what he got after just finishing at Winthrop.

Reply #162316 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Pat Mills is a certainty. Ogilvy for sure.

Jawai reminds me a lot of Millsap from Utah - anyone who saw his game yesterday may agree - I think Jawai has a lot of potential if he is willing to work hard enough, because he will have to to compensate for his lack of size (he is definitely a centre, not a PF)..

B Goorjan said of Barlow that he is a real shot of making the NBA because of his length. That's a pretty big endorsement and a bloke that is hard to argue with..

Reply #162339 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, I'm not a mind reader. I'm just thinking of some ideas as to why he may not be on their list.

As for being able to play NBA minutes right now, many strong freshman will have that said about them. And to be honest, nbadraft.net have a tendency for over the top reports on players. Like I said, draft express is my prefered option for draft related stuff and they have him in the 09 mock.

Reply #162344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy said he'll most likely stay in college for the full 4 years unless he think he's got a really good opitunity. So the players that are listed in mock drafts are: Ingles, Jawai, Neville, Ogilvy, Maric. I'm just surprised Ogilvy is listed in the 09 draft. I reckon he could go at No. 20 in the 08 draft. Non the less, he is an absolute cert.

Reply #162351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

none of these players are absolute certs , those who suggest they are just dont realise how tough it is to play in the NBA

Reply #162623 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

very true

Reply #162806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Daniel Webber has a good chance of making NBA all he needs to do is build himself up a bit, hes already got the length. I think if he can improve his strength Sky is the limit for him

Reply #163833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754