Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ers and Julius Hodge agree to terms

From Boti Nagy:

POTENTIAL new 36ers import Julius Hodge has agreed to terms with Adelaide "and should be on a flight today or tomorrow" according to the club.

Playing with Legea in Italy's Serie A national league since crossing from Cimberio Varese, the 200cm former North Carolina star and NBA off-guard with Denver and Milwaukee is only awaiting a release from his Italian club.

"He had to play his last game for them on Saturday, Italian time and as soon as he has the release, we'll have him on a flight," Sixers' operations manager Paul Bauer said yesterday.

"I spoke with his agent Sean Kelly today and that's all we're waiting on."

There is no chance however Hodge will join the 36ers in time for Wednesday's away game in Melbourne against the Tigers whose replacement import Sean Lampley played on Saturday in the 98-88 derby win over the Dragons at Vodafone Arena.

Full story

Topic #13911 | Report this topic

Rat10  
Years ago

Good news. Let's hope he has a safe plane trip over here.

Reply #162646 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Business Class seat on the flight maybe? Or at the very least an exit row? Whatever it takes to avoid a back strain!!

Reply #162655 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I love that someone has already updated his wikipedia page with;

"Hodge and his raft of guns are about to embark on an adventure to Adelaide, Australia"

Reply #162670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least we know that its all set now, hurry him on the plane and suit him up.

Reply #162680 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Looking Fwd. to seeing not too sure what type of plyr to expect but will certainly score and defend better than Chappel and add to team it would be great to get a excitement player like Homicide Williams who we could have picked up to get some more fans back and get crowd more involved again.

Reply #162684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the fans will be happy with this signing. He is from a street ball background and with Phils offensive freedom should put forth some exciting moves. He should make an immediate impact as he has been playing and doesnt have many if any offensive sets to learn. Should be a handy and exciting signing in my opinion!!

Reply #162692 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

NO "GELLING" jokes please!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #162693 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Disapointing he cant play wednesday.

Reply #162704 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Agreed Kobe-for-MVP,

Julius V Sean Lampley would have been a very interesting and testing first match up. Sean looks like someone who has no trouble scoring, and the 36ers need an import urgently to guard guns in that spot.

Reply #162710 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

His stats with Current team Legea Scafiti make it to judge how good he will be.

Played 6 games with them averaging 15 minutes a game.

5.8 Ppg @ 43%
60% at the stripe
3 Rpg
3.3 Apg

Reply #162715 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

In 154 minutes thats good. The thing is how many minutes will Phil give him? 35+ hopefully.

Reply #162719 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

lol 15 minutes.

Reply #162720 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So begs the question why is he only getting 15 minutes per game?
Stats are decent for 15 minutes though.

Reply #162722 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Do we need another guard?
I thought we needed someone in the small/power forward position.

Reply #162727 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I just got $20 on Sixers at $81. I know its long, but if we can scrape into the 8, who knows..

I expect Hodge to add 15ppg in the 3 spot, and I think that will make a world of difference.

Reply #162732 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kad you just lost a six pack + some change on that deal!

Reply #162734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They were paying $101 just last week I think, out from $17 at the start of the season. Worth a gamble given that a half-decent import could give them an outside (but better than $101) chance.

Bake, definitely need a small forward more than anything. Power forward has Ballinger for much of each game (close to 40 MPG?), plus back-up from one of Cooper/Mottram/Dench. Given that Mottram and Coops rebound reasonably well and the guards board above their height, they can probably err on the SG/SF side more than SF/PF perhaps?

Reply #162736 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

FWIW KingJames, I put $50 on the breakers at $26 before the season started :)

Reply #162739 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

It should also allow them to switch up and keep fresh the aging legs of Maher and Davidson .
Ng can come on and gun a little with Copeland having his minutes reduced slightly also .
Much better make up on paper lets just hope it translates .

Reply #162741 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

To go further with that i believe we should open with
DAVIDSON , MAHER , HODGE , BALLINGER , MOTTRAM .

After 4-5 minutes bring in NG to spell preferably DAVIDSON for a 3 minutes on the bench then DAVO re-enters for MAHER to finish the quarter , this can be switched between the two. So MAHER and DAVO have played 8-9 and NG has played 6 .
A few more G rotations throughout game need to be exercised to keep fresh .
Also , throughout the game we need to have either Brett or Brad on court at all times .

COOPER should replace MOTTRAM after 5 minutes or 2 Fouls whichever comes first then those two can rotate throughout the game with cameos by DENCH if need be .

COPES can breather HODGE for 2-3 minutes each quarter.

BALLINGER can be spelled by COOPER and DENCH or we could run a small ball lineup of DAVO , MAHER , NG , HODGE and COOPER for some run and gun action . Sure we may be exposed a little on D but for gamble situations it could be potent .

BURDON should be seeing extra G minutes until SUTTON earns them back .

DODMAN is an active big so use that for a spurt here or there .

Reply #162749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Wikipedia - "Hodge and his raft of guns are about to embark on an adventure to Adelaide, Australia. He and his posse should feel right at home in the murder capital of the world"

First of all, which clown wrote that? I don't get it, didn't he GET shot rather than shoot other people?

"murder capital of the world"??? what?

Reply #162757 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I don't think we are the murder capital of the world ... I think the stat is we have more serial killers per captia than anywhere else in the world - I don't know how true that is thought

Reply #162763 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

"murder capital of the world"??? what?

Where have you been? 8 *

We've had (Mod: Removed.) bashings, Snowtown, the Family, dirty water. We're world class.

NB: Wikipedia doesn't discern between real people & interstaters. ; )

Reply #162764 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

LOL @ Kad... 50 bucks on the breakers... Thats a very outside in my opinion.

Reply #162773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no worse than anything on the sixers imo

Reply #162775 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kad thats a carton and change down the toliet but I guess the drinks end up going down the toliet anyway but at least everything is all good for a few hours :P

Reply #162779 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

That posse/murder capital of the world joke is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Whoever wrote it deserves little balls.

Reply #162780 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Adelaide has this myth of being the murder capital of Australia, which is a little weird due to the majority of significant murders having taken place in the country, examples being Snowtown Murders and the Truro Murders which are probably the most publicised.

To a degree, Sth Australia has had the more interesting and more horrific incidents dating back to the 'Beaumont Children' through to the 'Bodies In the Barrel' cases in Australia than any other state with probably the only exemption being Martin Bryant and the Port Arthur Massacre and maybe the Anita Cobby murder in Sydney.

Ivan Milat's and the Backpacker Murders are also interesting especially with the death bed confession of his solicitor. He's still a suspect in up to 10 missing person cases where it's believed that the person has been murdered.

Another interesting story is the Milperra Massacre involving the Bandidos and Comancheros OMCG.

If any city should have the rights as 'Murder Capital' it should probably be Melbourne with the Hoddle Street Massacre, Gangland Murders, Russell Street Bombings and Queen Street Massacre. Also add Peter Dupas and Paul Denyer as sicko Victorians.

Reply #162782 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Add to that the Frankston serial killer and the Carl Williams saga who is well mentioned in any of the 'Chopper' Reid periodicals.

Then there were two old ladies from the 1940's-50's that were known to poison their victims. I think one of them was known as Aunt Thaddie.

Reply #162783 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In one school history book it said that SA was settled by free men, whereas other states were settled by convicts. "hence there would be less crime in SA than in other states due to this heritage"
Our teacher told us to cross that statement out.

Reply #162786 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Does anyone agree that in a way the season has only just started for the 36ers? I have a very good feeling this team bar further injuries is going to make a lot of noise come early '08. Unlike last season, no one team (Brisbane) has broken away from the pack, and if Hodge gives us what i think he will, why couldn't we win it all from here. A decent 5-7 game win streak and a very loud Dome would put fear in EVERY other team. Sure its early blah blah blah, but i'm sick of all the negative thoughts 'same old' talk. 36ers could just be a contender from here...

Reply #162787 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Anyone agree that our goal should be to get back to .500, then we can do damage and look for finals?

Reply #162790 | Report this post

enstein  
Years ago

I've a contact in Denver who has written this about Hodge-- That is going to be a huge pickup for your team! Julius starred for 4 years at my college, North Carolina State University that I follow very closely. He was even player of the year in the Atlantic Coast Conference which is year after year the best conference. Unfortunately he was shot in the leg while driving on a highway one night around Denver during his rookie year and you can imagine how such an injury sets back your game. In the NBA he had to play shooting guard because he's too skinny to play small forward and not quite quick enough to play the point guard. Problem is he is not a very good shooter so shooting guard is a tough spot for him. In your league he should be able to just play like he did in college, doing a little bit of everything, he is outstanding running the fast break and an excellent slasher to the hoop. I would expect him to be one of the best players in no time flat. He's one of those guys that dominates until he gets to the NBA level but just lacks the over the top athleticism and body mass to make it at that level with his skill set. In the NBA developmental league he was tearing it up.

Reply #162797 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Completely off topic - but following on from TR and comments about 'interesting' crime stories - For any one likes reading about true crime the book "Young Blood - the story of the Family Murders" is an intruiging (and often disturbing) read.

Reply #162798 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I know a couple of guys who follow NCAA ball so close its not funny. One of them said 'he was real good...basically made nc st good for 3 yrs'.

I'm very optimistic.

Reply #162803 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Stats from the 2007 Summer league suggest he can still put up some numbers..

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/index.jsp?player=julius_hodge

And compare that to Ebi's numbers..

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/index.jsp?player=ebi_ere

Reply #162808 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Lets hope he can consistently score 25 for the rest of the season. That way we won't have to look elsewhere for another import and start next season with a good core and gelled team.

Reply #162810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not wanted to dampen the renewed optimism or rain on anyones parade but have a look at the schedule from here on in. Absolutely frightening!

Reply #162812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised the 36ers signed this guy.. I mean, he's only 24 yrs old.. don't u hafta be 35 yrs or more to be recruited by the 36ers?

Reply #162814 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Seeing as we only have one player over the age of 35 I fail to see what you mean?

Reply #162815 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Seriously, anyone who makes another lame-ass joke about the 36ers being old should be banned FOR LIFE.

Reply #162818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree!!

He's not that old.. but it'll still take him 4-6 weeks to gel with the team

Reply #162866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he brings four of his mates your half a chance for the playoffs

Reply #163178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754