thedoctor
Years ago

Help thedoctor win an argument

I had a drunken discussuin with a mate last week about whether George Gregan could tackle Shaq.

I said that at some point, pure physics overcomes technique and that Shaq was a living example of that.

This resulted in my frind tackling me on a concrete driveway.

I want fact-based argument to support my position. Any engineers/physicists who frequent the forum?

Topic #13942 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

As in, stop Shaq running down the field? I reckon he could, unless Shaq had a bit of preparation learning the best way to get through.

Reply #162999 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Im sure he could tackle him Doc.....but I doubt it would be at all succesful!

I remember a while back when Jona Lomu (approx 6'4" and 120kG) was at his peak for the all blacks he was tackled while running flat out with the ball about 20m out from the try line (I think it was against France) The tackler was basically picked up and carried over the line with the ball by Lomu for a try.

Granted Shaq would not be able to move as fast as Lomu - but he would have extra weight on his side so Im guessing the intertia of each would be about the same. Poor old George would therefore in my opinion be bulldozed by Shaq.

This of course does not take into account Gregan's tackling technique...If he was to hit Shaq at the right spot he may be able to take out his legs and therefore stop him.

Reply #163001 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Physically impossible..............

Gregan couldn't get his arms around Shaq........

Reply #163002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman - the difference is that Lomu has a tonne of experience evading tackles and Shaq doesn't. I don't follow rugby at all, but imagine there are techniques that would make it possible for a decent player to bring down a giant.

For reference:
Lomu: 6'5", 120kg.
Shaq: 7'1", 147kg.

Jawai, somewhere in between in height and weight you'd think?

Reply #163003 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd also like to know who would win a fight between Mighty Mouse (Gregan) and Superman (Shaq).

Hmmmm, Gregan weights in at a mighty 79kg and 173 cm in height VS Shaq at 147.4kg (325 lbs) and 216.4cm in height, meaning Shaq has 68.3kg and 43.4cm.

Jonah Lomu was considered an unstoppable wrecking ball in Union. He is 196cm in height and a 119kg. No one could stop him so I can't see Gregan tackling/stopping a bloke that is 20cm taller and 28kg heavier than Jonah.

The only way Gregan could successfully put Shaq on his arse would be if he was driving a Kenworth truck over him at the time.

At times brute strength and power will overcome technique.

thedoctor 1 - drunken friend 0

Reply #163004 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I misread this and thought it said George Gervin ... got me thinking why you would be wondering if "The Iceman" could tackle Shaq & why I wasn't invited to your pot-smoking party

Reply #163005 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There are techniques in union, but also remember in union or league that individual, one-on-one tackling doesn't happen all that often.

NRL teams as a minimum tackle the ball carrying player as a pair, and in most cases three people will tackle the ball carrier, Union is very similar so the majority of times it's the mass number of people and the weight of the tackling pack that actually stops the ball carrier.

We use that technique as well. Why send one person into battle when you can send 3 or 4. Mass of numbers and the weight of the pack will always win through.

Reply #163006 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac - the experience would count for a bit - BUT in this case I think that the sheer size and momentum of Shaq would get him over the line.

If however Shaq has to run the length of the field (100m) to score I reckon George would just have to wait for him to run out of puff about 30m short of the line - grab the ball and run back up the field to score himself! And looking at Shaq's FT shooting I dont think the coach would be wanting him to pass the ball!

Reply #163007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll take TR's point about multiple tacklers and give it to Shaq in a short burst of power.

Now, back to Bill Simmons' untouchable trades list and an article talking up Chris Paul.

Reply #163009 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

When I was a little tacker my union coach would say "they are all the same size around the ankles" he also said "the bigger they are the harder they fall" so that where you tackle them, around the ankles.

The answer is yes George could tackle Shaq union/league style without a problem.

Reply #163010 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

One of the better random discussion points on here for awhile and i could see it going either way with maybe a slight advantage to shaq .
Shaq at 26 years of age would have flat out squashed the little fella but now who knows

Reply #163011 | Report this post

Chesty La Rue  
Years ago

Shaq poo's bigger than George Gregan

Reply #163016 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There would be no way in hell I'd be standing in front of a rampaging Shaq and trying to grab him around the ankles, then picking him up and trying to turn him over so he can't play the ball.

Gregans best chance would be an ankle tap chasing from behind after Shaq steamrolled him the first time.

Reply #163017 | Report this post

flight_44  
Years ago

A lot would depend on the angle of the tackle.

Head-on George would have no chance, but if he were to come from behind a subtle little ankle tap will take the big fella down. Coming in from the side and hitting below the waist would more than likely do the job as well.

Being rugby is all to George's advantage. Let's see if he can dunk on Shaq's head!

Reply #163018 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Reminds me of a time when I was at a party and Crusher got punched twice in the face by another party-goer. Crusher took both punches and said "I shit things bigger than you. You have 5 seconds to fuck off."

priceless.

Reply #163020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A proper rugby union tackle around the shins/boot laces will drop anyone no matter how tall or fat or heavy or bulked up. It can be done with proper technique and not like the ball and all tackles one sees too often. Shaq would fall like a sack of over riped tomatoes and hurt like hell when landing!

Reply #163039 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'm not convinced. The scenario is Shaq running at Gregan, Gregan tries to tackle. Can he bring Shaq down. I still say no.

Reply #163052 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

seem to remember one of the pom players from the world cup where lomu ripped everyone a new a hole worked out that tackling him below the hips brought him down,although way to late in the cup

defenitly think its possible for gregan to bring him down with the right tackle, matt gitteu (poor spelling) brought down that 130kg samoan (i think) who was this world cups rekon ball,

Reply #163055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even if he grabs him around the shins? Wouldn't take a lot of contact to unbalance him and bring him down, right?

Reply #163056 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im with you Doc, but Ive thrown it out to everyone in the office and they reckon Gregan could do it no problem round the waist.

Reply #163060 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

All he has to do is get a side tackle at his ankles and he goes down, and hopefully not on gregan. HOWEVER, if shaw is smart and stops just as hes about to get tackled and steps on the midget gregan then shaq would win. so it could go either way, but yes gregan could take him down easily.

Reply #163070 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I haven't seen Shaq in person, but he would make Lomu look tiny. I suppose I'm talking about a tackle - the front on type. Not so much the chase and trip type.

Reply #163077 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

No I don't think it would be possible for him to tackle him and stop him.

Reply #163097 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Ofcourse he can tackle him. You do realise that there are some rugby players that are almost the size of shaq. like 6"10 300 pound guys. Not many over 7 foot but does that really matter? The bigger they are the harder they fall after all.

Reply #163120 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Get Philpy to run down the court and have The Doctor tackle him. Same scenario

Reply #163201 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Gregan could stop Shaq...oh and I'm an Engineer

Reply #163274 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

On a side note ... I'd like to see Shaq try and tackle Jonah Lomu in full stride - the force created might blow up the stadium a la the Atom Bomb.

Im with thedoctor Gregan would be like the laces on Shaq's size 22's -flapping in the wind .

Reply #163349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754