Anonymous
Years ago

Ballinger Naturalising?

I'm sorry if this has been comfirmed earlier but is there any chance that Adam Ballinger will become an Australian Citizen at any stage in the future?

Topic #13961 | Report this topic

James W  
Years ago

I haven't heard confirmation. It'd be great though, and if we signed him to a multi year deal I'd be stoked.

Reply #163284 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

The last mention he has made of it in public to my knowledge is that he will be an Ausi in a season and a half. That was a month or so ago.

Reply #163287 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"The last mention he has made of it in public to my knowledge is that he will be an Ausi in a season and a half."

In other words, he'll be an Aussie at the start of the 09/10 season?

Ballinger is only signed for this year with the Sixers isn't he?

Reply #163288 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

When he does hes comming back to Hawks land.

I wish

Reply #163312 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

Dusty will be naturalising soon too!!!Last time i spoke with him it wasnt too far off!!

Reply #163324 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Hah, gotta love dual citizenship.

Although I wonder, does the NBL need to look at the impact of dual citizenship on its import restrictions and other stuff? say if Ballinger naturalised next year, and continued playing for Adelaide, that'd free up 2 import slots, so technically that would be 3 import quality players on the same team...

Reply #163331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at Cairns at the beginning of the season.

Reply #163340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballinger is unreal imo better than dusty more size more range more exciting

Reply #163359 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

It's nothing new, I think Perth had 5 American-borns on their roster one year.
I wouldn't hold my breath that the NBL'd let us have Balls + 2 imports, there'd be a rule pop up somewhere along the road. Plus there's the cost of doing it.
I'd be happy to have Balls locked in as our import. That'd do me.

Reply #163362 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sixers circa 86 had Bill Jones, Mark Davis, Al Green and Dwayne Nelson in the squad so nothing new in that

Reply #163363 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Yep, I remember those days too, everything was at it's peak back then. Jam packed stadium, big budget, & no stifling rules.
Far away from what we're enduring now. : (

Reply #163372 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

We had 4 American-borns last year! Copeland, Timmons, Horvath and Farley and when Hodge arrives we'll have three - Ballinger, Hodge and Copes.

Reply #163381 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Yeah you're right, but my comments were following other's thoughts of having the room for 2 more big number playing imports to dominate & be a title contender.
I'd love to see it happen, can't see it happening in today's climate.
On the player points system, we'll find it even tougher, when Brett does retire. We'll be down a handy minimum points player/maximum output stud.

Reply #163449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher's retirement will mean that we need any extra import spot we can get because, of the potential replacements for Maher's 20PPG and reliability, I can't imagine there are many Australian options.

Top-tier Australian shooting guards:

- Stephen Black (will stay with his dad)
- CJ Bruton (big money in Brisbane)
- Kirk Penney (will stay in NZ or go to Europe)
- David Barlow (happy in Melbourne)
- James Harvey (would you trust him to take Maher's spot?)
- Jason Smith (not going anywhere, plus not getting any younger)
- John Rillie (not sure)
- Brad Newley (likely to stay out of the NBL?)

Might force the club to run an import SG and then use another import (assuming Ballinger naturalises and stays) as a SF or C, and try for Rush.

Reply #163454 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

When Muzzy goes, we're definitely in big trouble if we're to look for an Aussie replacement. I wouldn't consider any of those you listed except Noodles, & I really can't see him back here with what would be on offer elsewhere.
My thoughts at this stage, are that we made the right moves getting Davo into the line-up. I doubt he would've been cheap, but damned good value none-the-less. A healthy Mikey would've been a screamer, but it wasn't to be, & there are more to blame than him, Phil, Mr Hemmerling, or the Team Trainer.
Then Mikey:
Under the circumstances, Mikey did nothing wrong, & I can understand management cutting him some slack, hoping it would all fall into place. He had a proven record, is a top bloke, & deserved every possible opportunity to get back to where he belonged. I recognise that it was a gamble that we eventually lost, but we would've had a winning hand, if the cards fell our way.
*** End Mikey rant & back on topic ***
Somehow, I was under the impression that Balls was seeking citizenship this season, but I can't recall where I got that notion (hadn't put it to him). From what you guys are saying, it isn't to be.
Again, I may have misinterpreted some posters in thinking that they were pushing (this season) for the naturalisation to happen & have another import on the roster. That is what I could not see materialising. Love to be wrong though. ; )

Reply #163472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger is seeking citizenship AFAIK though when it comes through is up for debate. Some are more optimistic as to immigration/whoever's pace of processing than others.

Reply #163476 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I reckon it's Feb. 2009 he becomes an aussie.

Reply #163478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754