Nick
Years ago

Matt Sutton - Needs To Lift

I know Matt Sutton isn't expected to do a whole lot and he is only a second year player but I've been talking with the some mates and we're all pretty unimpressed with him of late. He just doesn't do very much, fairly invisible. Seems to be very gun shy and when he does shoot they rarely go in. He finally took a shot in the game at the Cage and it was an air ball. His stats of 3.06 ppg at 35% and 1.12 assist per game don't exactly look brilliant either. He's 18-51 in FG this year. I quite like Matty Sutton but if he wants to play at the NBL he's got to lift his game. That's my opinion anyway. Thoughts?

Topic #13962 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was nothing special in district basketball, so he's not going to be much in the NBL. Not sure why he got picked up, theres better district players out there who deserve a shot

Reply #163303 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

He just isnt NBL callibre. There must be other ABL players who are better than him, can anyone name a few abl players that could replace Sutton and proved a better output? Sorry i dont really follow the ABL as closely as i did years back.

Reply #163308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EZE

Reply #163318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eze dominates him and has been more impressive in his NBL appearances

Reply #163319 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

Reminds me of Jason Williams a few years back....

Reply #163321 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Todd Matthews
Damien Scanlon
Todd Matthews
Brad Gerlach
Todd Matthews
Spud
Todd Matthews

Reply #163326 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Yeah...me any my mate have been saying this for a few weeks. Definately not NBL calibre yet, and not showing potential this season to improve.

Reply #163336 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

Reply #163338 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Gerlach no way , can not shoot to save himself ,
Scanlon is streaky but not quite there .
Matthews Yes but we already have an undersized terrier in Davidson.
Kersten was the one but we let him slip away .
Ben Madgen (major talent) needs to be targeted for when he returns .

Reply #163341 | Report this post

Fanno  
Years ago

I have to agree with you all. He seems like a top bloke. But on the court he seems to lack something, i don't know if it is confidence, he just looks lost. Because some of the shots he misses should be made at NBL level. Like others one word EZE

Reply #163347 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say they are keeping their eyes on Madgen. Really lifted in that last ABL season of his.

Reply #163352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eze or Keirsten.

Two Adelaide boys who can contribute, and would probably accept minimum pay.

Simple answer... but for some reason the 6ers dont like taking the easy option.

Reply #163357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud casing point his improvement last season and the ABL GF

Reply #163358 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

rotate - to say Gerlach can't shoot is like saying the sky ain't blue. He can shoot, don't worry about that.

Anyone who has played with D Scanlon will tell you how good he is. Underrated defender, awesome shooter and one of the best movers off the ball going around. Just a smart player. He is there by a long way if Sutton, Dodman, Gerlach, Eze etc are "there".

Reply #163360 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

None of them are ever going to be anything more than 9th or 10th man. With an occasional good performance.

We need young guys like Gibson, Ingles and Jawai who might turn into major players.

Reply #163361 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Came on against slingers,took nine shots got one in.

Reply #163368 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

camel - who are you talking about?

i cant see anyone who went 1/9fg vs slingers.

Reply #163371 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Coopz, you are splitting hairs. Sutton was 1-7 against Singapore, and is 1-12 over the past four games.

Reply #163374 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

sorry , just going on memory , sutton fg 1/7.
3point o/2. I seem to recall...

Reply #163376 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

I am a major Matt Sutton fan, but it does pain me to say that offensively he has lost something this year. I would call it confidence. If it's true about Phil Smyth and not being able to teach young guys well maybe for Matt to develop, he needs a different scenery. I hope not, so maybe with a change in coach we may see a better offensive player. I don't think you could ever fault his work ethic.

Reply #163377 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Lockstock , Gerlach can shoot layups and 3's in practice .
Dodman is irrelevant when talking about Scanlon and so are Burdon and Sutton to an extent . Ng is who he would take the role of and no thanks .

Reply #163379 | Report this post

What would it hurt to give the best non USA player in the ABL Central a go. At worse Todd Matthews would be only as good as Sutton IMO. And tell me the last time he was posted up. Should also give Burdon a chance. It is not like the Sixers are getting anything from these spots at the moment. So they are not risking anything. Roll the dice. Change a average ABL and NBL player in Sutton for the best (ausssie) SA ABL player available.
But sadly Smyth is too lazy and gutless.

Reply #163388 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

sutton reminds me of jason williams as well ryno

Reply #163391 | Report this post

hhaaahaa  
Years ago

spud, eze, dodman, and sutton all should never hit the nbl court. Whats could they do against the Kings or even the Tigers for that matter. to small and thin. everyone posting must be mates because I know if you owned the team you wouldnt add scrubs to your NBL list(at least not 3 or 4 at the same time (Dodman, Sutton, Dench, eze(wow he hit a three and played ok zone d against the BLAZE). Look at the sixers, last night they are only as good a SEABL team (without Ballinger). Go deeper on the bench, not worse. PS: Maher is getting to the point now here he needs some serious help and Darren won't be the one (although he has been a valuable contributor).

Reply #163393 | Report this post

Dads  
Years ago

Talking of point guards or guards in general, I remember seeing the GF for the local league this year and a player from north sticks out but he has not been seen anywhere.

Michael Zorich, on the Dragons list last year but couldn't get a gig on the 6ers list this year.

The 6ers development area needs a shake up.

Reply #163398 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Yes Zorich also was the one player that stood out for me in the preliminary final against Forestville and the GF. It was the only 2 games id seen this season of any ABL match

Reply #163400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that Zorich is a great ABL player, but is he going to be any better a shot than Sutton? From memory, he's not a very reliable outside shooter is he?

Sutton was retained on the back of a decent 2006/07 effort and just hasn't maintained that - it's not as though they going to make a drastic change during the season either.

Reply #163403 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Michael Zorich AND Anthony Spadavecchia both OWN Matt Sutton and SHOULD BE in the 36ERS rotation before him.

Also, goe EZE!! Enough said!

Reply #163413 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Spud is a great player, he should be given a chance as he has a real talent to develop at the PG. I think sutton deserves more of a chance on a decent team, rather than one that relies on him to score when the whole non-scoring becnh is on the court.

Reply #163419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Matthews go backwards to earn $25k a year and sit on the end of the bench for a few years getting the occassional minutes? Bit like Dix in that better money can be earned elsewhere.

Reply #163437 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Why what is Toddy doin at the minute for a crust ?

Reply #163450 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO the people saying that Matt is not NBL standard may be correct. I don't believe that it is anything to do with coaching, confidence, etc, etc. I have attended quite a few Forestville ABA games this year and INO Matt sometimes (for whatever reason) makes poor decisions with regards to passing and shot selection. If he can't be consistent at the ABA level then how is he ever going to be a factor in the NBL. Maybe his position with the 36ers will be evaluated at the end of this season and a new guard from the ABA (with more or future potential) will be recruited.

Reply #163468 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Zorich is a great player, but the change that North did for the grand final was to switch Eze onto Toddy, because defensively Zorich could not go with Mathews.

But yeah playing ball is great fun, but if you can earn a lot more money elsewhere then as the saying goes "dont give up your day job!"

Reply #163469 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

EZE

Reply #163492 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Why not look at the academy team and ask yourself who would fit into the NBL not the ABL and to me, someone like Molitor stands out. Has the NBL body needed, can shoot from outside and is athletic. Every player you've just about named is a very undersized PG, who realistically will probably struggle in the NBL.
Think potential people!

Reply #163502 | Report this post

Orange Squeezer  
Years ago

Or do we actually know if Smyth and crew are unhappy with Sutton??? Maybe he is playing to a role he has been described?? Bring the ball up, find the open guy, and play full court D??? Just a thought, but maybe his role is not to score at all, as there seems to be other options?? Would be interesting to see exactly what the coaching panel thinks. I thought Sutton and Zorich were "MVP's" from the academy the other year, and that was under Ninnis, so maybe he was the right option to go with at the time??

Reply #163504 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Yeah i agree with Panther, but for some reason we dont seem to be recruiting those type of players who are versatile and can have a impact in NBL - with huge upside or potential. How tall would Molitor be?

Reply #163517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Molitor is tall enough to play his position - about 204cm.

Reply #163609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of all the players mentioned in this post the only one good enough is Ben Madgen, and he will probably play in Europe after College, another demonstration of the benefit of kids going to College

Reply #163939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754