Nick
Years ago

Westover Childish Comments After Defeat

Tigers coach Al Westover said that the Bullets victory over his team was just luck. Westover also too a swipe at Bullets all star Ebi Ere, ""He ended up with 39 but he took 26 shots and 13 foul shots so he was putting the ball up a lot," Westover said. "He hit the big three when it was tied up but that was more of a fluke than anything. That was off an offensive rebound." He then went on to praise his own players after declaring the other team lucky.

What's up his arse? To me, those comments are unprofessional and childish. Ebi deserves more praise than anyone in this game and instead he gets labled as lucky and taking too many shot. I'll take Phil's overly positive comments over that rubbish anyday.

Topic #13987 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perhaps he is just trying to get the point across that Ebe would struggle to have that type of game every week. He got big numbers, but he had to go pretty far outside the structured offense to get them.

Was a heck of a ball though, and really could've gone either way. Tigers did well considering if Dusty had made a 3ptr early, it would've been 11-0 Bullets!!!

Reply #163759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The MVP chants for Ere are well deserved IMO.

Reply #163760 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ebi is the best import in the league in my opinion. He consistently plays well and consistently make many 3 point shots. To say it was a fluke that he made the last one in last night's game is not only childish but ignorant of his true ability. Would Westover agree then that every 3 point play he makes is a fluke? Ebi is not that kind of player. Westover still has the sour taste in his mouth from the grand finals.

Reply #163762 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Ebi sure as hell aint a fluke he makes big time, clutch shots all the time! remember that kings championship! he is probably the best import in the league right now and would be a well deserved winner of the MVP!

Reply #163766 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Nick: "What's up his arse?"

Exactly.

Nick: "To me, those comments are unprofessional and childish."

Exactly.

Nick: "Ebi deserves more praise than anyone in this game and instead he gets labled as lucky and taking too many shot."

Exactly.

Nick: "I'll take Phil's overly positive comments over that rubbish anyday."

Exactly.

Reply #163769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover was saying that it was a fluke that offensive rebound went to ere who was wide open. He also went on to say "he's a great scorer and a good shooter. Without him right now they'd probably be struggling."

As for picking phil over westover? - no comment lol.

Reply #163778 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Melbourne fitting their roster in the salary cap is a fluke, oh wait...

Reply #163781 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

"Does DD fan want some man love with Nick tonight"

Exactly.

Reply #163786 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Sorry rotate, I honestly didn't know you guys were an item. ; )

Reply #163788 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I'm so god damn attractive I occasionally attract the wrong element. ; )

Reply #163797 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"Tigers coach Alan Westover claimed the Bullets would be struggling without the Nigerian international." From the Age newspaper.

What would his side be doing without Anstey? What would his side be doing without the extra dollars over the salary cap being spent. That's not to say that the Bullets are not in the same boat, however this is a classic case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Reply #163837 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

EC, Westover did say that his side would be struggling without Anstey... Read the full article lol what he said actually wasn't bad.

Reply #163846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These comments are pathetic - As Boom Patrol has said, why don't you read the whole article rather than taking indivisual points out of context.

Reply #163854 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Westover should shut his mouth. Ebi shot 46 % from the Field and 84 % from the FT Line in the match and shot 30 % from 3-point(including a clutch 3). Anstey shot 33 % from the Field and shot 0 % from 3 point (0-3)

Ebi had 4 steals. Anstey had 2.

Ebi was better in Most if not nearly all aspects of the game than anstey, except for the rebounding count.

Why doesnt Westover blame/take a shot at his own players. After all Anstey shot lower %'s than Ere.
Westover was just trying to blame others for his teams mistakes.

Reply #163864 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Also, Westover has said his team did good things and that the Bullets got lucky, which is absolutely ridicolous.

The Bullets outplayed the Tigers. End of story.

The Bullets committed 11 TO'S. Tigers committed 14 TO'S

The bullets got 55 Total rebounds, the tigers got 49.

The bullets got 7 steals, the tigers got 4.

The bullets got 20 assists as a team, Tigers got 15

The bullets commited 28 fouls, the tigers commited 30!.

END OF STORY. THE TIGERS WERE OUTPLAYED!. no excuse.

Reply #163865 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Boom Patrol, you are obviously talking about another article that I did not see. The full extent of the article I am referring to is below. You will see it mentions nothing about Westover admitting his side would struggle without Anstey.

"  Brisbane coach Joey Wright brushed aside suggestions his club was a one-man band after the reigning champions continued their dominance over Melbourne in the first grand final re-match of the season. An Ebi Ere-inspired Bullets (13-5) prevailed 112-108 in a thrilling clash at the Brisbane Convention Centre on Saturday night to make it eight wins from nine games and maintain second spot on the ladder behind the Sydney Kings (16-2).

The Tigers (12-5) remain third after suffering their sixth loss in eight games against Brisbane. Ere drained a game-high 39 points, including the decisive three-pointer, which broke a 106-106 deadlock with 45 seconds left.

Tigers coach Alan Westover claimed the Bullets would be struggling without the Nigerian international."

Reply #163902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's the section Boom Patrol is referring to.

Westover, though, did stress that Melbourne is equally reliant on 2006 MVP Chris Anstey who finished with a whopping 22 boards.

"Chris has been killing them all year and that's the third time this year he's had over 20 rebounds which is a phenomenal feat in itself," he said. "We'd probably be in the same boat if we didn't have Chris playing the way he is."

Reply #163906 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

Anonymous is right EC, I agree what Westover said wasn't excactly the smartest thing to do, he was frustrated at the loss and what he said really wasn't that bad!

Reply #163908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754