Must have been a fluke.

Topic #14018 | Report this topic

RMM  
Years ago

Bad luck Dench!

Reply #164136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't Dench's game count in the next round?

Ere's game against the Tigers was very impressive - a well deserved POTW.

Reply #164137 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree Isaac. Makes a mockery of Westover's comments.

Reply #164139 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Was there something behind westover's comments that we are not aware of? I can't recall him ever being very vocal in a stupid, Shane Heal kind of way.

Anyone can see Ere has had a massive year. Was it just barracking for Anstey as MVP?

Reply #164147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People on this site have chosen to rad only part of Westover's comments and not the full article.

He said that Brisbane would struggle without Ere and then went on to say that similarly, melbourne is equally reliant on Anstey (something people have missed on here).

Reply #164285 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #164285, we have already discussed and acknowledged the full content of Westover's comments. Despite any of that, he did say that Ere's shot was a fluke. That is the biggest load of crap when its aimed at a player who has consistently performed at the highest level regardless of anything else Westover said. His exact words were "He hit the big three when it was tied up but that was more of a fluke than anything.". It has to raise the question of how many (if any) of Ere's shots are flukes or just pure skill in a game that few can match.

Reply #164288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - it's easy to pick certain quotes which don't show the full story. He did say "He hit the big three when it was tied up but that was more of a fluke than anything." followed by "That was off an offensive rebound." which you failed to include.

The fluke he's referring to is not the three that Ebi hit but the bounce of the ball - see earlier statement - Westover suggested there was large slice of luck involved in Brisbane's 112-108 win with the bounce of ball unhinging the visitors' shot at glory.

"We lost by the breaks of the game. You've got to make your own breaks but twice on offensive rebounds it looked like we had it & and from the loose ball they get it and hit the three," the Tigers coach said afterwards.

In a previous post, you criticised him for saying that brisbane would struggle without Ebi and chose not to mention that he said the same thing about Anstey and the Tigers.

Reply #164313 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I may be reading it differently to you Anon but the fluke word was mentioned relating to the 3 point shot, not the rebound. The rebound is there for the taking by anyone on either side. Its not a fluke to grab a rebound whoever it is that gets it. However, converting that offensive rebound to a 3 point shot is not a fluke either. It was lucky because it could have missed, but not a fluke. The Bullets won the game by 4 points so it was still a win without that 3 point shot. I am not the only one criticising Westover's comments after that game, it was just plain stupid from a coach who should show much more professionalism.

Reply #164343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm happy to agree to disagree EC - maybe it's just interpretation but in reading the transcript, Al was unhappy with those two offensive rebounds which literally bounced Brisbane's way and my reading of it indicates that's where the fluke was. Either way, Al acknowledged Ebi had a great game.

Reply #164349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754