lethal5
Years ago

Best ABA Imports who never got an NBL shot

Just wondering if anyone can think of any great ABA imports who could have played NBL?

A few that come to mind locally are:

Tyrone Lee
Ron Nunnelly
Tim Hatchett

Players like Willie Jeanette played years of ABA but eventually got a gig (Gold Coast Rollers).
Bruce Bolden also played with Nunawading before he got his chance.

Topic #14031 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its fairly unusual for NBL imports to come out the ABA though, isn;t it? Troy Devries was playing for Hobart in the SEABL and then got a gig with the Razorbacks but team would rather get player from better leaguers like the NBA (Orien Greene) Europe or D-League.

Reply #164304 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

Jeff Bickmore
Willy Joseph
Michael Cooper (dandenong)
David Johnson (bendigo)
Delaveaga brothers Steve over Jeff

Hosey Grimsley (mt gambier)
Eric hayes (back in the day)

Reply #164309 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I totally agree ANON, but was just wondering if there had been any of that quality who didn't get an oppotunity.

DeVries is a great example of someone who finally got a shot!

Reply #164310 | Report this post

Matt Damon  
Years ago

David Johnson was a 5'9 guard with the Bendigo braves in the late 80's. Averaged 50ppg over 4 seasons. Won the title in 88' when he had 72 points in the grand final against a talented Bulleen team.

The best ABA import ever hands down was Eric Cooks. Brian Goorjians first coaching gig was in Ballarat and his first import was Cooks. To this day Goorjian still says he was the best import he has ever had.

Cooks totally dominated for eleven years the ABA/SEABL and also the Victorian state league(VBA) which was the strongest comp outside the NBL for many years. = 5 NBL teams and 16 SEABL teams. Cooks winning percentages in all leagues(other than NBL) was well over 75%.

I would place Cooks in the top ten of ALL imports to ever play in Australia. He was unbeleievable.

Didn't leave Ballarat until he was 35 and then played 4 seasons with the Hawks, one season almost averaging a double double as a 37y.o.

Goorjian, Westover and Joyce all built their first years of rookie coaching on Eric Cooks' shoulders.

I hope he stays with the Hawks as a coach as I believe he will be as good a coach as those three.

He certainly has the right pedigree, has anyone else played under Goorjian, Westover and Joyce?

If the Sixers are looking for a coach and Cooks is available, I would grab him in a heart beat.

Reply #164320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage was the same.

Great ABA player - NZ was fist gig but didnt work out, now he is potential MVP of league with perth

Reply #164323 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I remember seeing Eric Cooks play in Grand Finals over & over again. Thought he was a big fish in a small pond back then. Came to the NBL way too late in his career. Who knows how good he could have been!

Reply #164326 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Austin Smylie

Reply #164341 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

in before fikes

Reply #164403 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Cooks was great - just played good. Eric Hayes was not bad alongside him.

Stevie D, despite the surname, lacked any notion of 'd at all.

There have been some phenomenal scorers - Nunnelly, guy called Jeff Hart (?) - played for Grafton I think.

Damon Lowry, started with Shoalhaven in NSW then went to Horsham in Vic before making his way to NBL via Ballarat and Kilsyth if I recall.

But the best ABA import not to play in the NBL is probably Bobby Cunningham. Three or four years in the old Victorian league before it stepped up to ABA - great years with the Seahawks and also nearly got to a ABA title game with Sandringham before going back to Warrnambool. Four time (?) national golden hands winner - his stats were always questioned, until you look and see his away assists always were around the same as his home ones. Exceptional rebounder for his size.

Reply #164406 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Jamie Holmes and I agree on both Ron Nunnelly and DeLeveaga.

Reply #164423 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

im a riverland boy and when the raiders had chad spady damm he could get the job done

Reply #164455 | Report this post

stingray  
Years ago

Stevie D could fill it up but zero D.
Ronnie' The Flyer' Ryer back in the '89 season he played with the Mildura Mav's first ever team... filled it up for 5-6 years after that.... maybe not nbl material but would've gone close with a chance.

Reply #164492 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

Jeff Hayes

Reply #164570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randy Anderson

Reply #164639 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And Smylie wouldn't even have to play as an import.

Reply #164716 | Report this post

Peter Pepper  
Years ago

Jason Dix; nuff said.

Reply #164923 | Report this post

geelong= inbreds  
Years ago

Curtis Blair and Cam Burns should have been nbl!!

Reply #172239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russell Knights And Stephen Gribble

Reply #430417 | Report this post

Damien Arundel  
Years ago

Big Bob'The hamburger"Heath
Jerry Everitt

Reply #430418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the big white American guy who used to play for Mt Gambier back in the day? Not sure but I think he used to dominate.

Reply #430425 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Paul Graham went from WA state league to the NBA with Atlanta

Joe Tuner was dominant in SEABL. He played for Arizona with Steve Kerr and Sean Elliot. He is still 3rd all time in Blocks

Here is a list of SEABL record holders. If you arent on this list in some capacity you cant be in this discussion

http://www.seabl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/League_History/All_Time_Single_Season_Averages_-_Men.pdf

Reply #430428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice, Pero V averaged 5.6 turnovers a game in 2002 with Nunawading (9th all-time).

Reply #430429 | Report this post

Predictor  
Years ago

Bobby C

Reply #430650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754