rotate on this
Years ago

CP3 for MVP

This kid is amazing and his numbers this year IMO compare equally if not favourably to Steve Nash in his last MVP year , lets have a look .

CHRIS PAUL 07-08

FG 3pt FT PTS REB ASS STL BLK TO
49% 40% 91% 21.5 3.9 10.0 3.0 0.1 2.7

STEVE NASH 05-06

FG 3pt FT PTS REB ASS STL BLK TO
51% 44% 92% 18.9 4.2 10.5 0.8 0.2 3.5

Pretty much evens.

I give CP3 the edge due to massive advantage in steals and lower TO . Also Nash runs the O of a helter skelter team which gives him slightly more ball usage and oppurtunity .
I am not knocking Nash one bit just trying to show how good this young PG is .

Lockstock , next time i see you i will shake on that $100 wager you offered .

BTW - Pauls numbers in a bad shooting performance were still

20 pts , 6 reb , 9 ass , 7 stl , with 3 TO.

Topic #14050 | Report this topic

billups 1  
Years ago

dwight howard 4 mvp

Reply #164442 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

As good as Chris Paul is my MVP would have to be LeBron or Howard

Reply #164445 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

I think CP3 can win it, but the hornets will have to win 50-60 games

Reply #164458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KG with his team to win about 68 games

Reply #164464 | Report this post

Are you saying Chris paul is better than steve nash????

Reply #164479 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

As of now ELG, I'd say he is.

Reply #164480 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I would agree with that aswell. If you think of the people around chris paul arent as good as the people around steve nash, yet he is averaging as many assists. He doesnt have an amare he can just lob the ball to whenever he feels like it.

Reply #164498 | Report this post

Crazy24  
Years ago

Flying under the radar is Kidd. His stats are 11.5 pts, 8.6 rbs and 10.6 ast! Thats almost a triple double a game. If the nets start winning his has a good shot at MVP!

Reply #164499 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If CP3 played in a big market say, New York, Chicago, LA, Boston then he'd be a top candidate. He play's in New Orleans which struggle in the marketing and profile area's. His numbers and season are MVP candidate worthy, but the lack of recognition that the Hornets get will hurt his chances, and as someone already mentioned the Hornets will have to win around 55 games.

I'm edging towards Garnett or if the Lakers make a run, Kobe.

Howard hasn't earnt his dues, plus is way too turnover prone, and the Cavs suck so that hurts Lebron's chances.

Reply #164501 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

ELG - I am saying that PAUL'S numbers compare nicely with the great STEVE NASH at his peak and that CP3 will go down as one of the great ones .
NASH is phenomenal and PAUL ain't far off .

Reply #164502 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

The Hornets will win 55 games

Reply #164512 | Report this post

Oh so stats mean everything do they? So zach randolph is as good as, say, Karl malone?

Reply #164529 | Report this post

oh and just 'lob the ball to amare' thats rich. Doesnt NO have Chandler, who scores ALL his points from Paul's lobs?

Reply #164531 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

What, Chandlers 10pts a game compared with Amares 20+ a game (which are all from Nash feeds/open dunks). Oh and your 3 point shooting friends Bell and Marion.

Plus, Howard is a great player but man learn to shoot FTs!

MVP is open at this stage. All of the forementioned players have a good shot at it i would say.

Reply #164653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm edging towards Garnett or if the Lakers make a run, Kobe. "Howard hasn't earnt his dues, plus is way too turnover prone, and the Cavs suck so that hurts Lebron's chances."

We are talking about the most valuable PLAYER award so why are you talking about how many games teams win? Does a player really have to have a winning team to be the most valuable in the league. Even MVP worthy players can't win games all by themselves every night.

Reply #164765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

History shows that players from successful teams generally win the award.

Reply #164767 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Isaac covered it. To win the MVP your team needs to make a run at the Finals. The only MVP that I can think of that didn't make a decent Finals run was Dirk last year.

Since the 1982-83 season, no player has won the MVP award with his team winning fewer than 50 games.

I agree, it's garbage, but it happens and the records prove it. I'm only going back to 2000, but

06/07: Dirk Nowitzki / 67-15 Best reg season record in the league
05/06: Steve Nash / 54-28 Lost Western Conf Finals
04/05: Steve Nash / 62-20 Lost Western Conf Finals
03/04: Kevin Garnett / 58-24 Lost Western Conf Finals
02/03: Tim Duncan / Won NBA Champs
01/02: Tim Duncan / Lost Western Conf Semi's
00/01: Allen Iverson / Lost NBA Champs
99/00: Shaquille O'Neal / Won NBA Champs

Reply #164788 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

update (forgot to add the games won/loss):

02/03: Tim Duncan / 60-22 Won NBA Champs
01/02: Tim Duncan / 58-24 Lost Western Conf Semi's
00/01: Allen Iverson / 56-26 Lost NBA Champs
99/00: Shaquille O'Neal / 67-15 Won NBA Champs

Reply #164790 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MVP voting doesn't take the post-season into account does it? I think the regular season win count is probably a better measure than a team's ultimate finish.

Reply #164791 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's regular season only, hence the major (make believe) astrix that will always go with Dirk's award. I remember watching last years Finals and one of the commentators (maybe Charles or Kenny Smith) was ripping the choice and that there is two awards for one season.

Duncan was the last to do the double in 02/03. Shaq did it in 99/00 and Jordan (6 times) ruled the award in the 1990's

Reply #164793 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Oh, and here is some useless information, but only one player has won the Finals MVP that didn't win the Championship, Jerry West in 1969 when the Lakers lost to Boston.

Reply #164794 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

The Hornets minus D WEST get up over the SUNS in Phoenix 118-113 with C PAUL playing the entire 48 minutes for 28 pts , 5 reb , 10 ass , 3stl and only 1 TO . NASH finished with 23 pts , 3 reb , 11 ass , 0 stls and 4 TO in 34 mins .
Would have been a good one to watch , but i will give the points to CP3 as his team got up and his reb/stl/blk-TO difference was + 17 compared to NASH + 10 .

Reply #165266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754