Isaac
Years ago

Wollongong hopes fans will rescue team

The Wollongong Hawks, stuck in some financial mud, are turning to fans to help bail them out.

One idea floated is for fans to contribute $500 per year for three years as part of a membership that gives them one season ticket. Should 1,500 fans sign up, that would give the club $750,000 per season to assist with costs.

More at the Illawarra Mercury

According to the article 400 fans expressed interest in helping the club at the last home game, though it's not clear if they knew what the cost would be.

Sounds to me like they're going to need another plan. Always fun to think about community ownership, but can't imagine that they'll get enough of an uptake when it's time to open wallets.

Thoughts?

Topic #14078 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god that the 36ers do not need to do that. We have already heard that the sixers only have one true fan: DDfan. You just need to ask him.

Reply #164888 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Something like this would be fun!

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

Reply #164896 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Can you just imagine all the fans having say on team selections etc. I'd buy in just to see the Rats get a gurnsey......

Reply #164904 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

To the Wollongong supporters who read this forum.

Get behind the team in any fashion.

Join the mebership crusade as an individual or in group to reduce $.

I refuse to follow West Syd or the Kings.

This looks like our last hope.

Reply #164907 | Report this post

The Hawks would have more chance if they brought a lottery ticket than their fans shelling out 500 clams on a "what if" situation.

"What if" as in "what if we shell out 500 clams and they still fold?"

Another proud club falls by the wayside while the NBL looks on and comes up with more stupid ideas to make our "NATIONAL" comp international.

Cheeez!

Reply #164915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with you. Can't see it working.

Reply #164922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why cant you see this working? I can and I'll tell you why. You already pay $330 for a Sixers season ticket so to pay $500 per season for 3 seasons which includes a seasons ticket why wouldnt you pay the extra $170 to see your beloved team survive - I know I would!!

Reply #164927 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Its independent of the current owners and no money goes there unless they compete next year.

So I see a lot doing it.

Whether enough do it, i don't know,but as this includes small and medium businesses who source income from traffic craeted by home games etc etc.

So there should be a lot of stakeholders that have an interest.

Reply #164928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

400 people expressed interest (expressing interest is free and easy to do). When it comes time to actually pay up, I reckon they'll fall well short of the target of 1,500 people. And should they get 400 signing up, that gives them 500 minus the ticket cost they would've already paid (let's say $250). It'd help, but it doesn't add up to a club-saving number, IMO.

And remember that this is all coming at a time when selling a standalone, normally priced season membership is challenging enough.

Have they tried putting the club up for sale rather than trying to prop it up with the existing framework/backing? If the 36ers went up for sale tomorrow, I reckon there might be a couple of buyers showing interest at least - surely there are similar options in Wollongong?

Reply #164929 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Woolongong & Singapore should be amalgamated at the start of next season. The NBL isn't financial enough to bail Woolongong out, & they would save heaps in air fares if Singapore wasn't in the comp. The singapore thing IMO was never going to work, & I think if we wish to grow the sport, we should concentrate on getting teams in N.T., & back in TAS before going o/seas.

Reply #164991 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Assuming that they get 1500 fans to pay $500 for 3 years, what happens when that money dries up and the club is once again in the same position? If its not financial enough now that they need this type of support, then they are not going to grow financially in future. All it will do is keep them alive another 3 years.

Reply #165005 | Report this post

Sorry anon, promises or not; there would be no way I would give up $500 to "maybe" secure seats for next year.

Same would go for the 6ers. If they seemed in real financial strife, I would hold out on renewing my tickets until I could be sure I was actually getting a seat at the match.

The saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted"

I think this saying applies to the Woolongong idea.

Reply #165283 | Report this post

Clint Dogg  
Years ago

i will give them nothing when they have wankers like skin dog the hawk amongst them.

what a wanker.

Wollongong r so gone!.

Reply #168201 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Attacking someone on a forum they don't even post on. Aren't you just the toughest guy around!!!

Reply #168212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754