John Boy
Years ago

Sturt and Tigers team in US

The team that over to USA from Sturt and Tigers how are they going

(Mod: Changed title. No idea what this is about, so just guessing.)

Topic #14089 | Report this topic

fish  
Years ago

I would like to know how the girls are going and the
web site you go to. thanks

Reply #164961 | Report this post

doubt if there is a web site - it is a junior tour team of kids from various grades lucky enough to go on tour

Reply #164975 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

this tour is organised by Proball. I went on a proball tour in the 90's and loved it. felt like a rock star for 10 games against high school teams in the US. Also got a US College scholarship out of the tour.

Reply #164998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the fifth tour involving kids from SA that I am aware over the past couple of months. With SASI, SA Country, PAC & Tennison Woods College also taking teams to the states. This is a great experience for our juniors to be a part of.

Has anyone got details or results from some of the above tours?

Reply #165018 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

the boys have won 2 - playing U20's with most of the boys team made up of U18's and a couple of U16's- the girls ...last time I heard had won 4 out 4. They are having a great time with hundreds of people turning out for the games which include cheerleaders etc - typical of what you see in American Basketball movies.

Reply #165225 | Report this post

good job  
Years ago

what high schools do they play

Reply #165845 | Report this post

Trav  
Years ago

Current results and info for Adelaide Sharks (Southern/Sturt) USA Touring teams. There are 14 girls players, now down to 13 as 1 player has returned to OZ for Albury commitments and 8 boys players.

We have now played 10 games in 13 days and are really tired but having amazing fun. We have played schools ranging in size from 150 kids to 1800 kids per 4 grades.

Players, coaches and parents have been all over Washington State staying with host families in a variety of towns/cities. The majority of host families have been fantastic. So much so that we have been treated like royalty.

The junior varsity girls tonight lost there first game for the tour going down by 2 points on the buzzer. They have a record of 7-1. Ther was no JV games in 2 schools.

Our Varsity Girls lost tonight to possibly the best High school team in Washington by 20. Lynden Christian is a Dutch Christian school with a proud and long basketball history. We were right with them at the half before tiring in the second. We have an overall record of 8-2.

As for the boys, we are 1-9, but have never stopped playing our butts off and with respect.

Without completly bagging some of the officiating, i can say they THEY HAVE BEEN TERRIBLE. In 1 Varsity girls game the foul count was 35-5. No guessing who had 35.

It took our players a few games to adjust to High School rules but now we understand most. Different rules include, 30 second shot clocks for girls, no shot clock for boys, after 7 teams fouls a half 1 on 1 and after 10 fouls 2 shots. Rebounding off foul shots are from the ring and with a square keyway with hash marks lower to the baseline and three players on each side. As for the travel rule they tell me you are allowed 1 and a half steps but I can't figure that 1 out after 10 games.

We play our last game in two days and then its off to LA for some fun. Clippers vs Phoneix NBA game, UCLA campus vist, Hollywood, Universal Studios and Disneyland.

All tour members have had a great time and have mixed really well with each other and with opposition. We have even had crowds chanting for the Aussies. My appreactation for American people has changed dramatically since leaving Adelaide. Overall they have been extremelly hospitable, friendly, intelligent and very welcoming.

GO SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #166206 | Report this post

Johnny Boff  
Years ago

LOL theses trips are crazy, lots of drinking and parting. I went on one and the only memory I have is of Brad Philip hitting a ¾ shot on the buzzer. Ask him and he will tell you.

Good time.

Reply #166214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754