Isaac
Years ago

Redhage naturalises, Perth trial new import

This is going to be interesting. Spotted an article on TheWest.com.au today about Shawn Redhage naturalising.

The forward, among the top five players in the NBL, can now represent his adopted country at the Beijing Olympics in August. National coach Brian Goorjian is keen to include him.

Also, since Redhage is no longer an import, the Wildcats can recruit another overseas player.

Although Perth management was tight-lipped over changes to the roster, the club has its eyes on two prospective imports and one could join the squad within days.

Time is running out for the Wildcats to get their fourth import for 2007-08. To be eligible for the finals, players must have played seven qualifying games. Perth have 11 regular season games to play.

After probably fitting in the second bracket of NBL teams this season, are the Wildcats going to become contenders with this change?

Topic #14117 | Report this topic

rotate on this  
Years ago

I would say YES to that Isaac .

Would they be looking for a PG or Athletic SF ? I think a solid team orientated PG that can hit the three would be of most use although a Hodge or Pace type may help matchup wise against the three top teams.

Thoughts ?

Reply #165390 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

A solid, team oriented, PG..... I've got one

Great passer, can score when required, involves his team mates.....The whole nine yards.

His name is Rashad Phillips

Reply #165391 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Agreed Dicko he would've been better than Brown, however now that they do already have an import PG i'd say a SG/SF shooter would fit them best.

Reply #165395 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

That's BIG for perth, definetely now going to make some noise come playoff's time.

As for the new import? Can't really say who they need. They have a great team already. My pick would be signing someone who is familiar with the league so he is ready come finals time.

Reply #165396 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Yeah , but is BROWN a natural PG or more of a combo .

Reply #165397 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Isn't there such a thing as salary cap for other teams? Surely they must be close now, let alone with another import??

Reply #165401 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

looks like the new import is guard/forward American Joe Shipp. It's up on nbl.com

Reply #165402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many points would they have left in their roster. I would have thought not 10

Reply #165418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the article - he's trialling with them and Fisher likes what he sees.

They have enough points - I talked to an informed Perth fan about it months ago to clarify and getting in a "third" import has been one of Perth's plans from the beginning of the season.

Video of Shipp hitting 9 threes against Fresno State:

And a big dunk against Penn:

Reply #165421 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

its a joke how they can fit him under the salary cap. also no way should redhage be able to play for australia. i really aint a fan of any naturlised player playing for australia. i would rather a born australian who has come from juniors to get that opportunity rather than some american

Reply #165425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this guy looks good

Reply #165428 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Wildcats look juicy at $15 :P

Reply #165431 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Some serious range on those nine triples.

Reply #165432 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

drB, will it be a joke when Horvath naturalises for South or Ballinger for the 36ers?

Moses, definitely - looks like a good pick-up for them. I am off to Centrebet.

Reply #165433 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Doesn't the NBL have a rule about qualifying period after Naturalisation before one can play as an Australian? Also, how would the points system work for an import player who is brought in only 7 or 8 games towards the end of the season? While you might get away with it under the salary cap (doubt it) because you are only paying for a small portion of the season, the cap would be stretched once the Wildcats starts making good progress in the playoffs.

Reply #165457 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Man.....he was knocking down 3's from a long way out....would be happy with him at the 2-3 spot

Im off to back the Cats as well.

Reply #165466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, I don't think the post-season counts towards the cap. How could it??

Fez, has to be worth a shot, huh?

For those that rate the 36ers a chance, Adelaide went from $101 to $51 but back to $81 after the loss in Perth.

And if anyone thinks the Dragons have a hope in hell, then they're paying $1001. ;)

Reply #165471 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If money was no object for a club, can you imagine the incentives they could offer their players for not only making the playoffs, but the further they progressed the more money offered. How can the post season not count towards the salary cap? Its all part of the player's contract. If the salary cap was introduced to give all clubs a level playing field, how level is it if the richer clubs can offer more money to their players come playoffs? Not only does that become a non level playing field but it comes at the most important time. This would also make the richer clubs better and stronger because the better players would opt to play for this club knowing that while their regular season contract may not be great, the probability of going beyond the regular season with a lucritive extension to their salary being attractive. Sorry, to me this creates divisions regardless of the salary cap.

Reply #165481 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

isacc i have no probs playing in the nbl as an australian however i object to playing for Australia

Reply #165487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, Dusty didn't show you his photos from Vegas?

Reply #165488 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DrB - so Mee playing for the Boomers was wrong? He has been here for what, 10 years now?

International rules only allow each country to field one 'naturalised' player in any event, so it is a level playing field. You can't just buy in an international team.

Reply #165492 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

EC , well put indeed .
Isaac , assuming some loose times were enjoyed ?

Reply #165497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea, just that all Bullets players got a free trip over as a championship bonus.

Reply #165506 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

For sure Isaac.....he looks like a player

But the question is......who goes to the bench

Crawford or Loughton

How tall is he

Reply #165542 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

dr8,

Can we assume that the only people that should be allowed to play for Australia must be born in australia?

can they have been born O/S but came here as a child?
can their parents be from another country?
can their Grandparents be from another country?

hmm perhaps the only people who should be allowed to play for Australia are those with an aboriginal bloodline, as they are really the only true australians?

May i recommend all rascsists listen to 77% by The Herd, (contains explicit lyrics)a line in the song goes something like... "Captain cook was the first queue jumper"..

If someone takes out Australian citizenship, they are as much an australian as anyone else in this country. If they are foreigners, then we all are.

Reply #165552 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Sorry, following a re-read of the above, it was not my intention to label or suggest anyone is a rascist.

apologies if it comes across that way.

Reply #165561 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I seem to recall back when Mark Davis became naturalised, he then had to wait three season before he stopped counting as an import? Pretty discriminatory to say that a person who can vote has to play as an import, but when did that rule change?

Reply #165588 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Did anyone get cash on the Cats??? I popped in today as they have dropped to $11.00

Reply #165606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, token little gamble from me. Very tempted to catch Brisbane while they're at $3.60 (or whatever it is now) because I think the Tigers are an injury away from trouble and already got the Kings at $8 and Cats at $15.

Reply #165622 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I did happen to see some photos from Vegas although I admit its possible you have seen some different from me. If there was anything there that I should not see, that's because of the respect we show each other in communications.

Reply #165624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I haven't seen any photos from Vegas. Just using Vegas as an example of how difficult the cap is to police, especially things like bonuses.

Imagine a ludicrous scenario where a team doesn't want to progress another round in the finals because it would put them illegally over the cap!

Reply #165625 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm not sure that the Vegas bonus was planned before the season started and therefore an incentive for a player to sign up. I find that kind of reward for a job well done acceptable. I am referring specifically to money being paid in addition to the contracted salary for games beyond the regular season. If a club needed $1m to get the players they wanted and it was $200k over the cap, what's the difference if $800K was accepted initially and then an additional $200k paid after the regular season? You are still paying $1m and still $200K over the cap.

Reply #165626 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I thought it was worth a rock melon at $11.00..

Reply #165650 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

www.sportingbet.com.au are still offering $14 for Perth if anyone is interested.

Also offering $11 for the winner to come from outside the Eastern states which is still really only Perth but Adelaide & NZ could still be there in the playoffs. :-)

Reply #165733 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Is it not like other competitions where players get paid a set amount (in addition to their club salary) for each final they appear/start in? I would be surprised if it were just open the wallet time when it came to finals, as then there is no salary cap.

Reply #165739 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

XY, I think it was Mario Donaldson that challenged that rule on the basis of discrimination, and restraint of trade. I'll see if I can dig up the transcript from the judgement.

At the time, there were concerns amongst the sproting world that the general principle that rules within sporting leagues were subject to the same restraint laws as the general commercial world could see the AFL Draft in jeopardy - basically the argument is that the AFL saying one can't "work" for any team one wants to is a restraint of trade.

Reply #165742 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

me..climbs onto draft soapbox and...nah..i wont start on that again :)

Reply #165792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754