Me
Years ago

36ers Future post Maher

I know this has been discussed in the past.

What are people's thoughts. Brett is the marque player, I just can't see an average crowd of more then 3000 once he retires.

There isn't anyone close to as popular as Brett is in Adelaide basketball wise, maybe Phil but he probably won't be around for too long.

Who can replace Brett as a crowd favourite?

I really do think Mal has his work cut out post Maher, I just hope he has deep pockets or the team may be for sale again.

Hopefully not!

Topic #14125 | Report this topic

Is there 36ers basketball life after Maher ? Nobody comes even close to being able to replace him.

Maybe time to announce that he will take a coaching role and that way keep taking advantage of his high profile ?

Reply #165468 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As much as the crowd love Maher, I don't think too many supporters will be lost. I believe people support the team and go to see the 36ers, not just a particular player. No one wants to see Maher go as he has been a favourite part of the team for so long, but the 36ers will still be a team without him. How successful they will be without him is not known at this stage but there will be some pretty big shoes to fill.

Reply #165469 | Report this post

MurderSheWrote  
Years ago

I agree with EC. Lets face it Maher isnt at his best for the past couple of yrs and has been injured quite a bit. when he goes things will keep going, salary cap room will be freed, a new coach will attract exciting SA born and bred players back. What concerns me more than Brett going, is going to a game seeing a team full of guys from other states. Thats why crowd numbers are down!

Reply #165502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Murder, I've posted on this before. Brett's retirement might see cap space opened up, but who are you going to spend it on.

As I've listed before, the quality shooting guards are going to stay where they are. That leaves the supposedly selfish or opportunistic types like Harvey, Ryan, etc.

I think an import SG might eventually be the best bet if guys like Newley and Ingles stay elsewhere.

Reply #165511 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

The name on front of the uniform has a much larger factor in why someone goes to a team sport over the one on the back.

No disrespect to Brett as he is and will always be a gun sixer.

Reply #165521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Normally I would think the same, but I've come across a few people who've said "I've been going for years, but the only reason I renewed recently was Brett Maher."

If they can lock in some crowd favourites like Davidson and Ballinger, that won't hurt giving people some sense of continuity.

Reply #165522 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

The name on front of the uniform has a much larger factor in why someone goes to a team sport over the one on the back.

The Jarvis logo doesn't do much for me either.

Reply #165534 | Report this post

Ryan Kersten

Reply #165535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look how the Tigers went post Gaze & Copeland.......everyone thought they would struggle and they ended up putting together a good side and taking out the Championship! I think the key here is to get Ballinger signed to a multi year deal and have him as the marquee player to take over from Brett as Balls is due to naturalise soon. I think Balls, Davo and Motts is a good nucleus with another import or two to take the Sixers post Maher? Add to that although unlikely the enticement back of a Jingles, Newley, Schenscher, Aussie playing in the US College system or elsewhere over seas and I dont think all is lost? Heck, could be what this team needs!!

Having said all that Maher is a Champion who you just wish could play on forever!!

Reply #165538 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Brett will be missed, but life will go on. I'd love to see Ng hang about, but sadly I can't see that happening. Ng has shown signs of brilliance this season and is a fine replacement for Brett.

As for outside talent, there is plenty. For starters, where is Aaron Bruce going to end up next season? No chance of an NBA call up. MAAAAAAYBE euro, but I doubt it. Newley isn't making as much progress as expected in Greece, he could be a chance. Danny Dillon will be looking for a club also.

Reply #165540 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Shane Heal will retire at season end and Aaron Bruce will sign with the South Dragon (good Horsham boy)

Reply #165541 | Report this post

Little LeBron  
Years ago

Maher is so awesome!....Nobody could replace him.

Reply #165636 | Report this post

Fat Bottomed Girl  
Years ago

For a glimpse at the future post Maher I think you need to look no further than when Mark Davis retired.

Mark davis IMO was a bigger personality than Brett back then and the sky did not fall when he stopped playing.

Agree with a post above that people support the team not an individual, no matter how fantastic he has been for our club.

Reply #165672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754