Anonymous
Years ago

Please Help - Boomers Squad

Is it possible for somebody to list the squad Phil smyth had that lost to New Zealand ? I've been trying to find it for a while and have had no success. To be honest it is to settle a bet.

Thanks in advance...

Topic #14126 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

This doesn't have the full squad (e.g., no Mark Nash), but does have the boxscores from the series:

2001 Oceania Series

Really was a very guard-light roster.

Reply #165496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers mate......The debate was regarding point guards.

Reply #165498 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

A sad, sad event in Australian BBall - exacerbated by NZ's finishing in 4th place... McGregor??? Moore??? Egan??? - is it any wonder... NZ had Willie Burton - that's kind of cool (50 pt scorer in a game for Philly in the mid-90s - i am pretty sure it's the same Willie Burton)...

Reply #165499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the New Zealand squad was exceptionally average.

Didn't we feel the need to select John Rillie or Stephen Black at least ?

Reply #165501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The guards were all of DMac and Maher. The only other player there that you could possibly use as a guard was Saville unless I'm missing someone.

It was basically two good guards, a couple of decent picks, and then a who's who of fairly average, vanilla forwards.

Reply #165508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia were certainly more decisive after this debarcle that the 6ers over the past few yrs. I guess there are some pretty knowledgable people calling the shots at the peak Australian Basketball body in Australia.

Remember how one of the players was able to leave the tournament for a wedding or something like that???

Reply #165513 | Report this post

Old man  
Years ago

In fairness wasn't this the squad that a lot of 1st choice players weren't available. eg. retirement, overseas or injury.

Reply #165523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There were a few retirements at the time and a couple of other absences, but there were still a few options at guard available that could've been taken, from memory. I think a few of the selections are excusable given the stocks available at the time, but two guards in a squad of ten was a bit strange.

He started Maher and Saville in the first game before starting Maher and DMac in the next two.

Reply #165524 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

And NZ finished top four at the 2002 World Champs with Pero Cameron making the Allstar 5 with
Manu Ginobili
Predrag Stojakovi
Yao Ming
& Dirk Nowitzki.

Reply #165532 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Of the 12 players that competed at the 2000 olympics 11 had either retired or were injured leaving only Maher as the only available player for that series from 2000.Nash came in late for Rogers when he was injured prior to the series starting.

Reply #165664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 2000 roster was: Andrew Gaze (Capt), Chris Anstey, Mark Bradtke, Martin Cattalini, Ricky Grace, Shane Heal, Luc Longley, Sam Mackinnon, Brett Maher, Paul Rogers, Jason Smith, Andrew Vlahov, Barry Barnes (Head Coach), Brett Brown (Ass. Coach), Alan Black (Ass. Coach).

Reply #165688 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

That certainly looks like a better overall lineup.

However, from my very faulty memory:

Retirements from international basketball: Andrew Gaze (Capt), Mark Bradtke, Shane Heal (would not play for Smyth from all reports) Andrew Vlahov, and Luc Longley.

Overseas and not available for puny qualifying series: Chris Anstey, Martin Cattalini, Shane Heal (if he had not said that he would not play for Smyth and retired anyway)

Injured: Sam Mackinnon (knee reco) and Paul Rogers (as mentioned above?)

Not sure about Jason Smith, but that may have been a Smyth/Goorj prejudice thing.
Also not sure about Ricky Grace, but he was probably in the 'retired' category.

That just leaves good old Brett Maher.

Anon, Stephen Black was just coming off of a season where he averaged 6 ppg at a low average. Not really in contention for a spot at that time. Can't think why Rillie was out of the team and should have been there if available.There were also other players who were probably in contention, such as Tony Ronaldson. Simon Kerle probably deserved a look in at the time, was in red hot form (24 ppg in the NBL 2001-2002 season). Was Rob Rose naturalised by then?

I think Smyth was dudded in many ways, but at the same time I still think Australia underestimated NZ and sent an undermanned second string side and expected to walk over NZ in the same way that it had every other time.

Reply #165702 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

This topic's been done before, but this might be the perfect place to resolve a long-standing issue of mine as to CJ's availability for the squad. I've never gotten an answer, even from the Black Pearl of OzHoops, who always offered valued insight.
Agree like most, that Rills' omission was strange. On the naturalised player option, I'd have stuck with Ricky for his proven Olympic experience. Not that Ricky took over under Barnesy, but for someone apparently only there to rest Shaney, he didn't do much wrong from what I saw.
It's interesting that Phil's squad captain, was an un-utilised benchie under Barnsey. Remember him? He was the bloke that swore he'd never play for Australia, if it was coached by Barnsey. Such audacity.

Reply #165726 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

CJ didnt play the NBL 2000-2001 season (which was the season before the qualifying season, which was immediately prior to the 2001-2002 season. That may have put him in the 'out of sight, out of mind' category?' Again, you would have had him there if he was available.

DDFan, you answered my question re: Rose. I had overlooked that D-Mac was the naturalised player taken. D-Mac is not a prolific scorer but at NBL level he was averaging nearly 8 apg and 3 spg at the time while still putting it on the scoreboard, so it is hard to argue against his inclusion.

But either or both of CJ and Rillie could have assisted you would think.

Reply #165745 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have seen this discussed on OzHoops where you have the benefit of a broader range of opinions, but also a broader range of bias. After all the huffing and puffing, it usually comes down to a few things:

- Smyth had fewer options due to retirements and injuries
- he still made a couple of questionable choices
- taking just two guards was a definite mistake

Reply #165761 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Omitting Rillie was purely an act of prejudice. Rillie had just left the Sixers after a championship win and (privately)said that all Smyth did was cash in on the hard work that Dunlap had done. True but sealed his fate when Smyth got the Australian job which was a joke.

Reply #165779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754