Isaac
Years ago

Can anyone touch the top of the backboard?

Found an interesting story courtesy of TrueHoop. A guy, writing a book about sporting myths, hunted around for someone to repeat a particular feat.

TrueHoop got permission to reproduce the chapter that covers basketball players "making change" from the backboard - that is, jumping, taking a bank note from the top of the backboard, and leaving coins.

It's a fairly lengthy and inconclusive story, but worth a read nonetheless.

The legend of touching the top of the backboard has gone on for years, and it has been excitedly attributed to so many different players that it's commonly assumed any number of guys in the NBA can do it. But in a sport where any individual achievement is promoted ad nauseam, we've never seen any proof of it actually being done.

I went to the epicenter of basketball talent (no, not Greece) to talk to the U.S. national team. Certainly, if it could be done, one of America's basketball stars would be able to do it.

When Coach K was finally done passing out Amex applications, I talked to Amare Stoudamire, who is 6-10 and was one of the best leapers in the NBA before a major knee injury.

"I've never touched the top of the backboard and I've never seen it done," he said. "Myself, I came close, maybe three or four inches from the top. If you're lookin' for a guy who can do it, talk to LeBron James."

So off to LeBron I went. When asked, he shook his head no as well.

"Everyone says I can, but I can't do it. I've tried. I can get up for sure but that's a long way. Dwight's the only man in the world who could do something like that, you gotta talk to him."

Read more: James White vs. a Jumping Myth

Topic #14145 | Report this topic

duffdawg  
Years ago

nice read that...bogut could probably pull that off, yep

Reply #165825 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

Reply #165827 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

It doesn't look like that guy is jumping high but he is abou 6 ft 9 i think. Worth a look!

Reply #165828 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Milt Newton.

Reply #165836 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Wilt was able to do this. ELG?

Another funny jumping story I read somewhere sometime related to a New York playground legend and jumping fiend who was playing defense on a guy who drove into the lane, and pump-faked.

The NYPLAJF bit on the fake - but by the time he landed the guy who faked him had been whistled for three seconds!

Reply #165856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilt was the one who was a very decent high-jumper before taking up basketball, right?

I like James White's attitude in the story. Bit better than Dwight Howard's awkward representatives.

There's a video on YouTube of Kobe Bryant touching the top of the square during a game which is impressive considering where he jumps from.

Reply #165857 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I remember reading that Wilt was in a dunk comp, and had a dunk called "hammer and nails", where he'd tuck it under his armpit, and when he got to rim height, he would actually punch the ball out from under his pit and thru the rim ...

Reply #165863 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Speaking of Wilt, I came across the newspaper for one of the best-named towns in America yesterday and immediately thought of him: Loveland, Colorado.

Wilt (nursing beer and trying to pick up in Denver bar post road game against the Nuggets): So, where are you from?

Pretty Young Thing: Loveland.

Wilt: So am I, baby. So am I.

Reply #165869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loveland needs a permanent homeless shelter
Tuesday marks a turning point for Loveland's homeless population. The Loveland City Council will decide whether to continue offering the Pulliam Building in downtown Loveland to volunteers who operate an emergency nighttime shelter there.

Who wouldn't want to relocate to Downtown Loveland?

Reply #165874 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Here is Michael Wilson (care of TrueHoop) dunking 12 foot.

Reply #165878 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Shit......i'd be happy to go back 10 years when i could touch the bottom of the backboard..lol

Reply #165887 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Downtown Schmowntown - the real action is happening just out of town at Daisy Duke's:

"It is a bar and tavern, and an interactive club," Gallimore said. "That does not mean strippers. They will have attractive girls who work at the bar and dance on the bar. They just show the customer a good time."

If Wilt was still alive, you just know he'd want to visit a 'interactive' club located near Loveland.

Reply #165921 | Report this post

Theres a picture in one of his biography (wilt's) where he's waist high with a high jump bar set at 6'6. That was early on when he was skinny, pre-NBA i think. So including arm length i'm not even sure if wilt could do it

Reply #165968 | Report this post

And wilt was dunking 12 foot rims without the use of an alley oop long before that vid was made

Reply #165970 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

best part of the article...

"Okay, maybe I was being pessimistic when I said there was no reason to go further. There had been rumors of a "busted nut" (is that part of the knee or something?) that took place an hour before the jump, slowing James down"

I sprayed coke out my nose reading that.. funniest thing I've read all day...

Reply #165983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring back the goat!!!

Reply #165984 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

and before anyone like Kent or Sturty pipe up with a comment, it was liquid variety, toilet cleaning, blood stain removing from road normal coke from a glass bottle, not the white powdery stuff.....

can someone explain why coke from a glass bottle tastes better than coke from a plastic bottle or can???? it's been a week long debate at work...

Reply #165988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think plastic is more soluble than glass and thus a little less air-tight and more likely to mix ever so slightly? I can't remember the specifics, but this topic came up once when I was doing an olive oil tasting - they stick to glass or lined casks. (Helpful fact - keep your olive oil away from light, e.g., in a cupboard.)

Reply #165990 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

olive oil tasting or olive oil wrestling.... memories for an incident at a particular house in a particular suburb here in Canberra...

I'm going to slap myself for asking, but why keep olive oil away from sunlight???

I think it's time for a permanent thread to be created and stickied title "useless and random facts and questions".

Reply #165996 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Isaacs' restaurant rules.......

and no, I wasn't going to mention the white powdery stuff.......

Reply #165997 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Photodegradation is one issue. Found this:

When choosing your storage location, remember that heat, air, and light are the enemies of oil. These elements help create free radicals, which eventually lead to excessive oxidation and rancidity in the oil that will leave a bad taste in your mouth.
This is relevant to your glass vs plastic discussion:
Avoid most plastic, too; oil can absorb noxious substances such as polyvinyl chlorides (PVCs) out of the plastic.

Reply #166007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if I believe this, but I'll never forget reading my Street and Smiths probasketball review back in 89 or 90 where they were discussing the draft selection of Elden Campbell by the Lakers. In the paragraph it said that he had a 8' 11" wingspan and a 37 inch vertical and that he could get BOTH hands over the top of the backboard. Sounds like BS to me, but if you remember Elden in his very early days, he was a freak.

Reply #166012 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Elden Campbell was a GREAT asset to the Lakers

Reply #166028 | Report this post

yoyoma  
Years ago

Tom Chambers is probably the closest based on this dunk (you have to wonder how high he could go if he was just trying to go high). Yup, he's white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyBSTQDwH8

Reply #277460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wilt's vertical was 39"; playing weight after a couple of years in the league was 310;in the 60's he was widely regarded as the strongest man in any professional sport

Reply #301433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754