Anonymous
Years ago

Chemistry Cancers

I keep hearing about chemistry cancers (often the word "Knicks" appears in the same sentence). I'm not saying they don't exist by any means, but who are the NBA's main "chemistry cancers" and what do they do that destroys team chemistry so much?

Topic #14166 | Report this topic

Run TMC  
Years ago

Marbury, Francis, Randolph are a few that come to mind, i.e., players that (allegedly) are more interested in their own performance rather than the team's.

Reply #166154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Ricky Davis and Darius Miles?

Reply #166157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about in the NBL?

Hammer?

Reply #166162 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Chappell ? Charles Thomas ?

Reply #166163 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Randolph Appears to be on the Chopping block in a trade that involves Milwaukee.

http://www.hoopshype.com

Hopefully it involves Bogut.

Reply #166165 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Chappel ahahhahahahahahhahah ur jokin me.

Reply #166167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not Chappell.

From last year, Powell.

Reply #166170 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Mahatma, that rumour was squashed. He's not going to Milwaukee, thank God.

Reply #166173 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Powell and Cullen for sure when they have been in the NBL. Ricky Davis is definitely not a team cancer, I think his bad rep came more from his triple double attempt a few years ago which made him the laughing stock of the league until Isiah was put in charge of the Knicks. From what I have read Earl Boykins is one of the more disliked players in the league, which could explain why no NBA team has signed him for this season.

Reply #166177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But what about when people talk about "locker room poisons" or "locker room cancers"? Are these the sort of guys who don't get on well with team mates?

Reply #166178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Jamaal Crawford a chemistry cancer?

Reply #166179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't want Bogut having anything to do with the huge mess that is the New York Knicks.

Reply #166181 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ron Artest

Reply #166182 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

"But what about when people talk about "locker room poisons" or "locker room cancers"? Are these the sort of guys who don't get on well with team mates?"

If you're asking for a definition, it's people who are extremely disruptive to team harmony, both off and on the court - where removing them would make the team MUCH better (addition by subtraction). Players who are selfish (shoot too much, sacrifice results for personal glory), who are constantly sniping at teammates in the media - causing tension in the team, getting arrested or battling charges constantly (see: Jailblazers teams for the last 10 years) ...

Reply #166185 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

i would say cortez and shanahan currently in the nbl. past would be simon kerele, wayne larkins

Reply #166188 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Steve Leven...apparently.

Shane Heal.

Reply #166192 | Report this post

Dr Evil  
Years ago

Leyton Hewitt was a cancer for Adelaide Crows and he was not even playing for them

Reply #166196 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No, that was Rachael McLeod.

Reply #166197 | Report this post

Beer o Clock  
Years ago

Phil Smyth

Phil SDanders

Reply #166208 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

hard to go by stephon marbury, exciting to watch, gets awesome numbers.... but every team that trades him gets better

Reply #166209 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Scott Cummings, Adam Heuskes.

Reply #166228 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

DrB....how the hell is Matty Shanahan the Cancer in a team??

Please explain?

Reply #166253 | Report this post

West Lion  
Years ago

Cancers in Teams are better defined by turning the players against the coach, or management. Eg constantly complaining to team mates about lack of playing time, complaining about coaching style, complaining about poor contract negotiations etc.

Players who alienate themselves from team mates are not cancers, as no one will listen to them anymore so their opinions cannot cause unrest amongst the team.

I have played with these type of individuals and have even been labelled one.

Reply #166258 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Magic Johnson (circa Paul Westhead).

Reply #166260 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

So, West Lion, would that include getting the team owner to fire the coach, then stepping in to become a player/coach, then leading your team to back-to-back bomb-shelter seasons, where the defensive strategy gets worse and worse every game ?

Reply #166266 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Magic Johnson!!! He was the heart of the Lakers in the 80's not the cancer. Maybe he didn't feel whesthead could take that team any further...

I don't hear people saying Penny Hardaway when he turned on Brian Hill

Reply #166297 | Report this post

West Lion  
Years ago

Melvin, hahaha exactly - Mark Price as head coach was undermined by Heal. Unfortunately for Price, owner Mark Cowan chose Heal instead of his coach. Under other circumstances, the player would have been dismissed or traded.

(But they did make the playoffs last season)

Reply #166314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players who alienate themselves from team mates are still cancers when they play no D and shoot whenever they like.

Reply #166327 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

Lets see shanahan has played at 9 clubs, there is a reason for him getting shafted all the time besides the fact that he aint that good. He is known to cause problems behind the scenes for coaches and other players.

Reply #166332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754